Hornby Class 71

Multiple identity account

E5022 running the 'Golden Arrow' on my home layout. Can't add headboard or decorations yet in case it is photographed for review in a future Model Rail. (CJL)

Only one problem I can see with this model of E5022, is that it has the window pillar vents which were not added to well into the BR blue era.

But easy enough to resolve and it does have the correctly profiled cab side sheet/corner shape. The other one is too straight going by the decorated samples I've seen so far.

Rightly said...! Hornby's got the shape correct. Even the two windows in the front seem to look much better on the Hornby offering.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if it's been covered already, but has anyone converted the wheels to EM or P4 yet?  There seems to be acres of room but I haven't found the means of getting the bogie frames off yet.  (Nor have I found a service sheet).

Cheers

I've had a partial success fitting a Lenz Standard V2 DCC decoder into my Hornby 71.

After trying various locations I stuck the decoder to the inside of the roof above the 8 pin DCC socket using the sticky pad supplied with the Lenz. I seem to have killed the first decoder I fitted as I forgot to put insulating tape over the 8 pin plug leaving the solder pips exposed.

Its only a partial success as the body only just clips over and the solebar at the decoder end curves downwards.

Also I can't get the lights to work now - maybe the long cable fitted to the decoder is stopping the sprung lighting contacts from touching the main loco PCB.  I also deranged the pantograph getting the body off and on.

I'll probably look for a smaller and thinner decoder - I've got two Zimo MX600Rs on order for general evaluation and the MX600s seem to be the narrowest and thinnest of the big three feature rich sub £20 decoders - the MX600x, the Lenz Standard V2 and the Bachmann 36-566.

In the meantime the Class 71 is running sweetly on the Lenz without adjusting any CVs and seems to shunt well which the prototype presumably was intended to be used for on those goods yards that had overhead catenary.

The current consumption of my Class 71 @ 12 volts DC was: Continuous current consumption at max voltage: 0.32 Amps.
                                                                                                  Peak current consumption at max volts: 0.36 Amps.
                                                                                                  Current consumption with wheels stalled: 0.74 amps.

Current measured on rolling road. Regards, Nick

I've had a partial success fitting a Lenz Standard V2 DCC decoder into my Hornby 71.

Its only a partial success as the body only just clips over and the solebar at the decoder end curves downwards.

Also I can't get the lights to work now - maybe the long cable fitted to the decoder is stopping the sprung lighting contacts from touching the main loco PCB.  I also deranged the pantograph getting the body off and on.

I'll probably look for a smaller and thinner decoder - I've got two Zimo MX600Rs on order for general evaluation and the MX600s seem to be the narrowest and thinnest of the big three feature rich sub £20 decoders - the MX600x, the Lenz Standard V2 and the Bachmann 36-566.

DCC Concepts ZEN Nano 8 pin Direct decoder may be an alternative as it is only as big as the blanking plug and it also comes with an optional 'Stay Alive'.

Steve

Edited by Retro_man

DCC Concepts ZEN Nano 8 pin Direct decoder may be an alternative as it is only as big as the blanking plug and it also comes with an optional 'Stay Alive'.

Steve

I fitted the Legomanbiffo 8 pin micro with sugar cube speaker to my class 71. The chip,as the name suggests is small, and presented no problems . The speaker  I fitted to the 'ceiling' of the loco with some very adhesive black tack from our local photography shop. I had to remove the internal spring to fit the speaker so the pantograph isn't going to operate. But that isn't a problem for me. I don't think they were much used in the real thing anyway?

I have yet to change  the volume on some of the sounds, but so far so good. The Legomanbiffo chip allows a sound chip to be fitted to a model where clearly little thought was given to such an eventuality!

Steve

Many thanks, I've been a bit dubious about the Zen range as I couldn't find the advanced instructions for using many of the extra CVs (long CV list says 'see advanced' for many CVs). Do you happen to know if the advanced instructions are now available?.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

I still don't know what you mean - but never mind, it's perhaps an age thing!  :jester:

Ah the joys of the use of the English language.....when men and women of all ages are addressed as "guys". The world moves on and of course we return to Germanic influences again.As we Knights of Grey Power love to chant...."Meldrew uber alles".

• Like 3

Sorry! Try this: The ultimate, above all, the best, top, something that nothing is better than.

Ah - thank you.  So 'über green' doesn't mean excessively green, then: I have learned something…apparently !

(and I speak German, too, but that didn't help)

Anyway, back to topic… the loco certainly does look fine and I hope you're happy with it!

Mike

Many thanks, I've been a bit dubious about the Zen range as I couldn't find the advanced instructions for using many of the extra CVs (long CV list says 'see advanced' for many CVs). Do you happen to know if the advanced instructions are now available?.

Regards

Hi Nik,

There is a list of the most common CVs included in the instructions along with a note that many more CVs are accessible - see the DCC Concepts website for details. I have searched their website for some time and unfortunately have been unable to find any other information.

I am sure if you email Richard he would provide more information.

Steve

Hi Nik,

There is a list of the most common CVs included in the instructions along with a note that many more CVs are accessible - see the DCC Concepts website for details. I have searched their website for some time and unfortunately have been unable to find any other information.

I am sure if you email Richard he would provide more information.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Gaugemaster have a overall list of Zen CVs: http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/dcc_concepts/Zen%20CV.pdf. I will get in touch with DCC Concepts regarding advanced instructions.

I've just got two Zimo MX600Rs for general evaluation and although they may have some features useful for 3rd rail sparks (see MX600 RMweb topic) they may be too long for a comfy fit in the Hornby Class 71.

Regards

Nick

I thought I'd managed to get a Zimo MX600R DCC decoder to fit in the Hornby 71 but I used a lot of force to get the body to clip onto the chassis.

The 71 then made clicking noises when going in reverse. I isolated it to the gear tower at the end of the loco where I'd squashed the decoder and 8 pin plug between the body and chassis.

By taking out the gears at the bottom of the gear tower I can stop the clicking (which was unacceptable before, but worse when I reassemble the chassis).

I'm guessing the gear tower or the wheel /final gears keeper plate have been bent by me but I cant see the problem. It maybe the gear that connects  the vertical tower to the bottom idler gears is not being held in place properly by the keeper plate.

Has anybody had similar experiences with other diesel/electric locos (maybe Hornby new 31/50/HSTs?) and knows a fix?.

Regards

Nick (suitably sorry for having broken my 71)

PS As a temporary measure I'll probably remove the bottom final gears and make the 71 a four wheel drive (a magazine review said a fully working 71 model took 13 coaches up a 1 in 30 gradient).

Edited by NIK

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd managed to get a Zimo MX600R DCC decoder to fit in the Hornby 71 but I used a lot of force to get the body to clip onto the chassis.

The 71 then made clicking noises when going in reverse. I isolated it to the gear tower at the end of the loco where I'd squashed the decoder and 8 pin plug between the body and chassis.

By taking out the gears at the bottom of the gear tower I can stop the clicking (which was unacceptable before, but worse when I reassemble the chassis).

I'm guessing the gear tower or the wheel /final gears keeper plate have been bent by me but I cant see the problem. It maybe the gear that connects  the vertical tower to the bottom idler gears is not being held in place properly by the keeper plate.

Has anybody had similar experiences with other diesel/electric locos (maybe Hornby new 31/50/HSTs?) and knows a fix?.

Regards

Nick (suitably sorry for having broken my 71)

PS As a temporary measure I'll probably remove the bottom final gears and make the 71 a four wheel drive (a magazine review said a fully working 71 model took 13 coaches up a 1 in 30 gradient).

More than likely the issue is with top part of the gear tower, not being clipped in place properly - the loco not being level is a dead giveaway for that. You'll need to remove the PCB to gain access to it. 10 minutes to fix tops ;)