The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whats your favourite classical music?

PhilJ W

It is amazing just how wide our tastes are. Funny thing is that after surviving the 60s and 70s I have now only just begun to appreciate Rock and Bluegrass. Shows you how catholic musical tastes and genre can be. But to get back to the point - we all have different tastes. Like some others I was deeply moved by the Gorecki 3 when it became current particularly as the words for one of the movements came from the writing on the wall of a prison cell by a young woman who was incarcerated and presumably killed by the Nazis. I think also that the statement above that "you'll know good music when you feel it in your guts" is so true. It is funny too how hearing a refrain of music can take you back to an event/events in the past and in you minds eye can see people long gone from us. I can also remember seeing the late Andre Tchaicowsky perform at a concert years back. The following from Wikipaedia  may be of interest. Cross fertilisation in the arts at its most extreme perhaps. 

"......Tchaikowsky died of colon cancer at the age of 46 in Oxford.[1][3] (in 1982). In his will he left his body to medical research, and donated his skull to the Royal Shakespeare Company, asking that it be used as a prop on stage.[4] Tchaikowsky hoped that his skull would be used for the skull of Yorick in productions of Hamlet.[5] For many years, no actor or director felt comfortable using a real skull in performances, although it was occasionally used in rehearsals. In 2008, the skull was finally held by David Tennant in a series of performances of Hamlet at the Courtyard Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon.[6] After the use of Tchaikowsky's skull was revealed in the press, this production of Hamlet moved to the West End and the RSC announced that they would no longer use Tchaikowsky's skull (a spokesman said that it would be "too distracting for the audience").[7] However, this was a deception; in fact, the skull was used throughout the production's West End run, and in a subsequent television adaptation broadcast on BBC2.[8] Director Gregory Doran said, "Andre Tchaikowsky's skull was a very important part of our production of Hamlet, and despite all the hype about him, he meant a great deal to the company."[8] ....."

There is quite a lot about this on the internet.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by geoffers
  • Like 3

I also love the music of Anton Bruckner, particularly the unfinished 9th symphony.

Sandra

Simon Rattle has recorded the four movement 9th symphony. Most of it by AB himself; the coda is new music, but has been composed in the same format as the 8th. Worth finding.

Bill

• Like 1

We seem to be getting a second opportunity, in which case I'll go for the Bruckner 8th. The two minutes of the final coda leaves me in floods of tears.

And if I can have a third opportunity, then it would be the Bruckner 5th (I'm nothing if not unpredictable).

Bill

• Like 3

When I was teaching multimedia web development a few years ago for final year students the practical assessment was that they had to produce a disabled accessible multimedia website to sell a product - which I had to agree at the beginning of term.This worked quite well, as they had to include video, animation, photos, graphics, sound as well as coding it all in HTML.

One girl chose craft card making, and produced a reasonable effort. the video was a speeded up version of making the cards. She'd backed it up with music.When she'd finished her demo I asked her what the music was, the conversation going something like:

"It's classical - I know you like classical."

"Do you know what the piece is?"

"No."

"It's Verdi's Requiem."

"Oh."

"Do you know what a Requiem is?"

"No."

"It's a mass for the dead."

"Oh."

"Do you know what the particular passage is?"

"No."

"It's the Dies Irae, Dies Illa. Do you know what that means in English?"

"No."

"It means Day of Wrath and Doom Impending. Now is that really suitable for crafting cards?"

Maybe for weddings?

I'm going to attend my first orchestral concert in April at Wembley Arena having been dragged along by my son my part of the deal was we went by train :imsohappy:

Ok so probably not Classical in the sense of the thread was intended this is more of classical computer game music some of which is now getting on for 30 years old. 

The idea is the orchestra plays the music from the Nintendo Zelda series of games while a giant screen shows clips from the game behind. All l[/size]ooks to be a very interesting principal and gets the not so musically appreciative interested in all things classical so can’t be a bad thing. [/size]

Perhaps some of you can form an orchestra to play at Warley 2015? :whistle:

Anyway heres a clip.

Its a truly world wide thing http://zelda-symphony.com/schedule such is the interest in all things computer games.

To keep it on-topic

However I did enjoy Dvorák - Symphony No. 9 Allegro con fuoco (If easily offended dont click it)  :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g10DqPbbUuw

I hope you agree. 

Steve

Edited by Steve-e
  • Like 3

maybe not 'classical' but i love brass band music. One of my all time favorites is Immortal by the Black Dyke Band. I'm off to see the band next Saturday.

Heres a link to the best video of the song i've found.

The song is just under 10 minutes long but i just stick in ear/head phones in when i'm walking to work. 

Another one by a different band is Enter the galaxies By the Cory band ( at least the version i've found).

Thanks 

Jamie D

(edited to adjust grammer)

Edited by jamie.dunn
  • Like 5

Seeing as we've introduced the World of Brass, the Black Dyke Mills band have done a really stirring version of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Procession of the Nobles" from Mlada, one of the best fanfare and processionals you could ever wish to walk down the aisle to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNph2Zi1z4w

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

To widen things even further, then of course there's film music, which is arguably the successor to classical music in amount written, even if not in quality. However, the more recent Hans Zimmer / Remote Control style has begun to dominate due to producers thinking it's 'wonderful', meaning the more traditional orchestrated scores have become thinner on the ground. I'd rather have a good Williams, Goldsmith or Horner score in preference to the constant rythmic background carpet scores any day.

• Like 3

Bruckner is a fabulous composer. Plenty of space in his music where the silence is as important as the music. I concur with all that has been said. Fancy listening to some now. I love the Bruckner 5 and 9. The latter heralds the new Viennese school with a massive dissonance in the final movement. Though I have to say some 20th Century music does leave me cold. I went to a concert by a major London orchestra where they played some Xenakis. I was sat in the Choir stalls behind a trombonist and he said "....you looking forward to this..." and then promptly took out a whiskey hip-flask and after taking a swig said "....this is how I deal with it....".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That Susato is from "Danserye 1551"

If you like that try these:

"Orchésographie 1589" by Thoinot Arbeau

"Dances from Terpsichore 1612" by Michael Praetorious

Then there is the favourite of period drama:

John Playford's "Dancing Master" (e.g. Dick's Maggot!)

All the above are collections of Dance Music of different styles.

American Early Music Group "Piffaro" are worth a listen, especially their rennaisance dance music collections:

A Flemish Feast - Dutch dance music

Canzoni e Danze - Italian Dance Music

Chansons et Dances - French Dance Music

Los Ministriles - Spanish Dance Music

For something really different

"Fire Burning in Snow" by Ex Cathedra - South American Baroque!

Keith

BTW I've heard some of all the above on Classic FM. They don't just play Andre Rieu and Mozart 40 you know!!!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Seeing as we've introduced the World of Brass, the Black Dyke Mills band have done a really stirring version of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Procession of the Nobles" from Mlada, one of the best fanfare and processionals you could ever wish to walk down the aisle to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNph2Zi1z4w

If you like Brass how about music by "His Majesty's Sagbutts and Cornets" or "The Wallace Collection"

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The other year, one of the classical PBS stations played the theme for Angry Birds

http://www.analekta.com/en/analekta_tv/angry-birds-video-by-angele-dubeau-la-pieta/

One of the announcements that strikes terror in the concert-goer's heart: "We are pleased to have the composer of the next piece in our audience tonight."

• Like 1

I think it's almost impossible to have just one favourite piece of classical music ,there's too much to choice, some of my favourites are ,

Khachaturian "Phrygia" and "gayane" ,Mussorgsky "Pictures at an exhibition",

Barber " adagio for strings ", Brittan " YPGtTO" ........

I could go on and on , I suppose its all down to what mood your in at the time,

Cheers Paul

Strange that I haven't noticed any mention of Max Bruch's Violin Concerto which was number one in the Classic FM hall of fame for some years! Has it gone out of favour? I've got it on CD along with the Mendelssohn one, lead violinist Yehudi Menuhin whom I had the pleasure of meeting when I lived near Ongar. A truly gentle and sensitive soul, which was obvious to anyone who was lucky enough to watch him play live!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

Ah, we can add more than one? I have so many.

Killing two birds with one stone here’s another favorite of mine (and written in the last 50 years} by John Tavener - published in 1997

Song for Athene:

If it is too quiet for you turn it up!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

If you like modern music how about "Michael Nyman"?

His use of old themes in a modern style is quite imaginative.

e.g. the music for "The Draughtsman's Contract", The "Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover" etc.

Keith

• Like 2

It's interesting how little of the music suggested in this thread has be composed in the last 50 years....

This is the pre-nationalisation classical thread.... ;)

More seriously, I suspect that is because most classical music was written before the last 50 years, even if proportionally the writing rate had stayed constant. I have no idea if it has.

At the other end of the telescope, I am aware that an RMwebber will this year perform the World Premier of a brand new work, in a church in Turku, Finland.

I'm guessing he shares my name, hometown*, school and scout group, but is a far better modeller and can get his hands around organ far better than me?

*Not Chesterfield

Edited by Talltim