PDK Models

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

What with the new Hornby Castle and 28xx,Bachmanns City of Truro theres another beauty to add to this years new releases albeit a kit.

Does anyone have experience of building a kit from this supplier.Will they go round 30'' curves ok ? Resin boilers ,any thoughts ?

http://www.pdkmodels.co.uk/

post-126-12659170201585_thumb.jpg

They seem decent kits if you want to build them to a set version and in 00. I've looked at the large GWR tank locos they do and the big problem there was the bunker cutout being left out and only the one type of frame design being possible. Gauge conversions are possible but its not designed in.

The resin bits are a new thing compared to the older kits, not sure if that boiler is solid but hopefully not and you could get limited lead down the middle. The tender certainly gets around the issue with Finney kits of forming the flare and corners easily. Although others disagree i'd say the resin certainly hasn't been used in any bad way and is the best use of the media.

No idea on 30", you could email and ask what that build sample managed.

There is a slight problem in that the resin boilers don't necessarily take account of the fact that the smokebox (in many cases, such as the 47xx) is meant to be the same outer diameter as the front section of the boiler that it connects to.

So you end up with either:

- a boiler that's slightly undersized (in front); or

- a smokebox that's oversized.

Mentioned here, in passing

• RMweb Gold

I suppose theres pluses and minuses to every loco kit although it must be easier to build than the Falcon kit of the same loco.How does painting the resin compare to brass in finish ?

What with the new Hornby Castle and 28xx,Bachmanns City of Truro theres another beauty to add to this years new releases albeit a kit.

Does anyone have experience of building a kit from this supplier.Will they go round 30'' curves ok ? Resin boilers ,any thoughts ?

http://www.pdkmodels.co.uk/

That looks to be a nice kit. I think I'll order one. Thanks for the info Rob. I'll post the build in due course.

I doubt very much if it will go round a 30" curve without hacking away at the cylinders and useing a flangeless driver. But usually, where there is a will...

I share Horestans caution with regards to resin boilers. And it's such a ###### to solder the brass bits to them!!.......icon_e_wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

That looks to be a nice kit. I think I'll order one. Thanks for the info Rob. I'll post the build in due course.

I doubt very much if it will go round a 30" curve without hacking away at the cylinders and useing a flangeless driver. But usually, where there is a will...

I share Horestans caution with regards to resin boilers. And it's such a ###### to solder the brass bits to them!!.......icon_e_wink.gif

Go for it Metro ! I look forward to seeing the build as and when.I'm too sceptical of the rads it will go around.That would put me off getting one as I've too many unfinished kit built chassis to swing a cat at.

I've been looking for some time to replace my old Cotswold 47xx, which has given years of stirling service but falls short of modern finescale standards!

Whilst the PDK kit looks like a decent model, it is the lack of detail between the frames (which is surprisingly visable on such a large boilered loco) that puts me off. That coupled with the difficulty of building it in E.M. Gauge, has steered me towards the Martin Finney route.

I know this will be more expensive and requires more work but for such an imposing prototype it's got to be worth it!

Andy.

• RMweb Gold

I've been looking for some time to replace my old Cotswold 47xx, which has given years of stirling service but falls short of modern finescale standards!

Whilst the PDK kit looks like a decent model, it is the lack of detail between the frames (which is surprisingly visable on such a large boilered loco) that puts me off. That coupled with the difficulty of building it in E.M. Gauge, has steered me towards the Martin Finney route.

I know this will be more expensive and requires more work but for such an imposing prototype it's got to be worth it!

Andy.

Yes I know what you mean.Have you seen the 7mm version pictures. :icon_drool:

http://website.lineone.net/~cbwesson/47xx.htm

I built their LNER Great Northern A1/1 there are pics on old RM Web.

Overall I wasnt too impressed. The fold up chassis left no space behind the drivers whatsoever in fact it might be better for EM gauge . There where a number of detail faults e.g it came with a bottom edge rivetted cab (wrong there were none on the A1) some other etched parts were oversize as well. Some of the whitemetal castings are basic or again the wrong size again e.g banjo dome

Overall the kit gave me the impression of either being a rushed or poorly reseached kit? very strange as the earlier Crowline kit had a correct cab.

I have a old BRM Magazine of the Crownline build by tony Wright and some of the adverse comments apply to the PDK version as well . A shame as they should have been designed out on the new kit.

The resin boiler was fine and wellmade with good detail and fit onto the smoke box. But it is solid and there is nowhere at all to add weight. The base slot for the motor was a tight fit for a 10mm Mashima and Gearbox!!

As to radius mine struggles on 36 inch radius this is mainly due to the oversize chassis frames.

Personally I would buy a DJH in preference.

For the potential eventual result, I think you're getting a bargain. cool.gif

Even when you take into account the extra cost of a 4000g tender, Ultrascale wheelsets and a Hi-Level motor gear-box combo, you are quite right Horsetan.

If it goes together anything as well as his Large Prarie kit then it will be worth every penny. Like all things in life you get what you pay for!

Andy.

.....Overall the kit gave me the impression of either being a rushed or poorly reseached kit? very strange as the earlier Crowline kit had a correct cab.

I have a old BRM Magazine of the Crownline build by tony Wright and some of the adverse comments apply to the PDK version as well....

In a couple of the recent back MRJs, Chris Pendlenton built an A2/2 and an A2/3. The former started life as a Crownline kit, but he ended up using very little of it! The latter only had Crownline tender sides; the rest was scratchbuilt.

....Ultrascale wheelsets....

You don't necessarily have to have Ultrascales - Gibsons are a good working alternative.

I'd be looking for a bevel-and-spur / contrate+pinion and spur drive, rather than worms. Somewhat less resistance.

• 2 weeks later...

I went for the Martin Finney version. It went together very well, but was very fiddly in places. I replaced the pony truck and cylinders/slidebars/crossheads with the Comet version.

I'm told that the Falcon Brass 47xx has some very fundamental errors, especially around the firebox, as the last time the business changed hands only the test etch had been carried out, and the discrepancies were never corrected.

Geoff

post-66-126720448894_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I went for the Martin Finney version. It went together very well, but was very fiddly in places. I replaced the pony truck and cylinders/slidebars/crossheads with the Comet version.

I'm told that the Falcon Brass 47xx has some very fundamental errors, especially around the firebox, as the last time the business changed hands only the test etch had been carried out, and the discrepancies were never corrected.

Geoff

Very nice Geoff.What radius curves does it go round ?

Hi Rob,

I built it for a friend but tested it on my layout before handing it over, and it was happy enough going round my 3'6"ish curves. There was actually quite a bit of room between the wheels and the chassis, and as the coupling rods were articulated, then I'd guess it had a good chance of coping with a bit less than 3'6".

Geoff

Nice work Geoff,

If you don't mind me asking, what were your reasons for not using Martin's cylinder/crosshead and pony etchings and opting for Comet replacements?

Regards,

Andy.

Nice work Geoff,

If you don't mind me asking, what were your reasons for not using Martin's cylinder/crosshead and pony etchings and opting for Comet replacements?

Regards,

Andy.

Based on it being similar to my 28xx the pony trucks Martin designed are protototypically flimsy and made up of a few etches soldered together instead of a fold up one piece type. It took me a few attempts to fold up and solder together the bits for my P4 one. Luckily there was a separate 00 gauge one to practice on that did go a bit wrong! I still haven't got it swinging quite correctly though and will need to revisit it in the future when I continue the kit but I can definitely see why it would be replaced as the detail is barely visible.

The cross head in Finney kits is layers of etch and the cylinder wrappers are also etched, not sure if the Comet crosshead is lost wax but that would be worth replacing the original with. People seem to replace this part in 7mm too.

Spot on Craig. I did try with the Finney pony truck, I promise, but as this was meant to be a 'layout loco' I just wasn't convinced it would cope with the handling. The same applied to the crosshead, as you guessed, and yes, the Comet ones are lost wax brass castings.

Geoff

Archived