Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

I'm sure you all know that if it was possible the crew would stop at a water crane and stick the bag in any convenient orifice in the casing. However I'm sure it was a bit disconcerting sailing along at a rate of knots (see the connection I did there?) with the loco actually on fire.  :scared:

Phil

In Mendips Engineman by P W Smith he talks about this actually happening on the SDJR with a West Country pacific,(34040) and having to keep going while  finding a convenient place to stop. The loco  ended up being covered in foam after the fire brigade had finished with it.  

His story concludes with the  guard informing an elderly lady that the delay was caused by a fire in the engine and being told that  "an engine always has a fire in it".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The A3 does utilise an extension T-type bar for its front bogie, as do 99% of the new 4-6-0/4-6-2 locos I have. The new king also features this. However it is fixed in a channel about 8-10mm long and as such only has the bogie moving. Most likely this will be the arrangement on the new Merchant Navy

• RMweb Gold

The bar appears to be made of unpainted brass with visible file marks so I'm guessing the model featured represents a work-in-progress rather than the final iteration.

I'd expect that to incorporate the T-shaped mount as used on the Rebuilt WC, S15 etc.

John

Fingers crossed. I have absolutely no justification for one of these in my post 1960 NE\LMR themed collection but its looking like a definite 'rule 1' purchase at the moment :)

I have no justification in buying an airsmoothed Merchant Navy as a severe weight restriction on the Swanage Branch that I am modelling meant that the Merchant Navy class was not allowed on the line. This is not going to prevent me from buying one. I already have rakes of suitable coaches and it does not look out of place on my N gauge layout or in the Purbeck Model Railway Group's 0 gauge layout which are both based on the Swanage Railway.

I would advise anyone to be very selective in buying locomotives and rolling stock outside your chosen location or you could end up like me with a collection that has got completely out of hand and is going to be extremely difficult to dispose of.

• RMweb Gold

I have no justification in buying an airsmoothed Merchant Navy as a severe weight restriction on the Swanage Branch that I am modelling meant that the Merchant Navy class was not allowed on the line. This is not going to prevent me from buying one. I already have rakes of suitable coaches and it does not look out of place on my N gauge layout or in the Purbeck Model Railway Group's 0 gauge layout which are both based on the Swanage Railway.

I would advise anyone to be very selective in buying locomotives and rolling stock outside your chosen location or you could end up like me with a collection that has got completely out of hand and is going to be extremely difficult to dispose of.

[/quote

Meanwhile,just enjoy it.

• Like 3

In Mendips Engineman by P W Smith he talks about this actually happening on the SDJR with a West Country pacific,(34040) and having to keep going while  finding a convenient place to stop. The loco  ended up being covered in foam after the fire brigade had finished with it.  

His story concludes with the  guard informing an elderly lady that the delay was caused by a fire in the engine and being told that  "an engine always has a fire in it".

Probably Mrs Trellis (of North Wales) on her holidays!

Hello gentlemen,

Have updated/ condensed my Original style M.N spreadsheet as a means of best selecting  a loco.from the first Hornby offers for my era . (1956-58)

My first purchase therefore will be 35028 renumbered/renamed to 35030--this will run alongside the rebuilt 3501ORIGINAL MERCHANT NAVY LOCO DATA.xlsx8/35020.

I have simply trawled through various books and data from numerous sources etc. to compile a single A4 spreadsheet for easy reference.

I hope it may be of use to others.

regards,

Ed

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello gentlemen,

Have updated/ condensed my Original style M.N spreadsheet as a means of best selecting  a loco.from the first Hornby offers for my era . (1956-58)

My first purchase therefore will be 35028 renumbered/renamed to 35030--this will run alongside the rebuilt 3501attachicon.gifORIGINAL MERCHANT NAVY LOCO DATA.xlsx8/35020.

I have simply trawled through various books and data from numerous sources etc. to compile a single A4 spreadsheet for easy reference.

I hope it may be of use to others.

regards,

Ed

Thanks, just one small correction, there have been photos/links posted on here that show 35011 with cut-down tender and 2nd emblem prior to rebuilding - most likely applied when the tender was modified.

John

EDIT: See Post #482 of this thread

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just a quick question, it may have been covered in this thread but this is probably quicker than scrolling through 28 pages, I was trying to find the answer on websites but the information I read was very specific, My layout is set in 1943, I was just wondering which of the two Southern ones is most appropriate for that year, I can See Channel Packet went black in '44 and Royal Mail in May '43 so that's not an issue,  I'm more concerned with the number and lettering, information I've read on multiple sites says  "Early members of the class had cast-iron numberplates and gilt 'Southern' plates on the tender, but these were subsequently replaced by transfers" but  what time frame is "subsequently" ? later that year or several years later?

Channel Packet is literally in the first few months of its life. Royal Mail is somewhat better suited to 1943.

Cheers! website history  of Locos always seems to brush over the 40s with very little details as if nothing significant was happening 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

Cheers! website history  of Locos always seems to brush over the 40s with very little details as if nothing significant was happening 

Hi. According to the RCTS book Channel Packet lost its cast number and Southern plates in October 1949, Union Castle in January 1950.

Roger

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi. According to the RCTS book Channel Packet lost its cast number and Southern plates in October 1949, Union Castle in January 1950.

Roger

Both during works visits for repaint and renumbering 9/9 to 21/10/49 (Channel Packet) and 7/11/49 to 7/1/50 (Union Castle), both went from Malachite Green to BR Blue

• RMweb Gold

The problem with modelling the Merchant Navy Class during WW2 is more a case of there being too much happening, far too frequently. 

John