RMweb

Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how many people will be running them authentically? I think I can count on one hand the amount of early 40s Southern layouts I've seen, including my own.

Er... I wonder how many will actually turn a wheel."Authentic" 1940's layout operation takes a good deal of thought and investment in suitable coaching stock of the period. .For many ,the late 50's and early 60's are the years of choice.

• RMweb Premium

It's worth shopping around rather than buying from the recognized box shifters - Hatton's and Rails are selling at Hornby's full RRP (£179.99). I succumbed to Royal Mail from Kernow at £159.99 (just a satisfied customer). How I thought I could resist I don't know - oh yes I was going to wait for a BR blue one...

• RMweb Gold

It's worth shopping around rather than buying from the recognized box shifters - Hatton's and Rails are selling at Hornby's full RRP (£179.99). I succumbed to Royal Mail from Kernow at £159.99 (just a satisfied customer). How I thought I could resist I don't know - oh yes I was going to wait for a BR blue one...

Worth noting that Peterspares (their proper website, not eBay store) have got both Channel Packet & Royal Mail for £152.99 plus postage.

• RMweb Gold

Opening a can of worms here?

When I first saw the pic of the model, I thought "what an ugly beast". Lovely model, but I honestly think it ugly. Now look at the BoB (original) and that somehow is more refined?

Anyway, it is only a Southern loco, though we did allow them on the GE for a while.

Stewart

Hi Stewart

Bear in mind that the SR green releases incorporate the very early style front end with 'widows peak' and no smoke deflectors, which soon changed by August 1944 to the more recognisable top cowl and smoke deflectors that we saw from new on the other members of the class from new and also on the Light Pacifics.

My 21C3 is on the way to me and I am still deciding whether or not to put the knife to her to and forward date with the front end modifications as I have some spare smoke deflectors and top cowl top, (although I am pretty sure this variant will appear RTR in due course).

• RMweb Gold

The plates though look as if they are printed? Hopefully someone like Narrow Planet will do a decent set of etched ones.

Yes the Hornby plates as supplied whilst separate parts are printed onto plastic rather than etched with any relief.

Already available from at least four manufacturers.

Jason

Although the main nameplates for all members of the class are available from a number of suppliers (Fox Transfers being my preferred),  for 21C1 I think off the top of my head only http://www.cgwnameplates.co.uk/ do the cast number plates and tender 'Southern' plate.

When I first saw the pic of the model, I thought "what an ugly beast". Lovely model, but I honestly think it ugly. Now look at the BoB (original) and that somehow is more refined?

Anyway, it is only a Southern loco, though we did allow them on the GE for a while.

Stewart

Can of worms or blasphemy, either way, I'm in total agreement, very ugly - and I'm a BR/SR modeler! I've ALWAYS felt this original SR air-smoothed design looks very toy-like for some reason and I'd not touch one with anyone's ten foot pole! :O  

I'm obviously more than OK with the revised air-smoothed that "Holland-Afrika Line" and "Clan Line" will be presented in as I already own "City of Wells", "Winston Churchill" and "Bude", but it's a pity that unless I want to rename/renumber "Clan Line" (already got one you see, and it's very nice, rebuilt) I'll have to go with "Holland-Afrika" and TTS or wait/hope for other releases that DON'T include any rebuilts I have...

I know that the reason for "Clan Line" is probably/supposedly due to it still being around and therefore may appeal to folks more as they KNOW it, but it'd be awfully nice if Hornby would release some of the others in the class, wouldn't it?!?!?!?! How many times can they release the SAME running number before someone finally shouts foul??? Maybe someone should send a list of the members of the class to Hornby, in case they don't know about them :) :rtfm:

Dons tin hat, flak jacket and leaps into the trenches... :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No (Flak) jacket required Ian We all see what we want to and different things please different eyes, I have two rebuilt MNs and I like them a lot, but the original for me has a grace and beauty that is lost on subsequent tinkering.

Just had an e mail to say mine is on its way.  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Edited by 7013
  • Like 2

No (Flak) jacket required Ian We all see what we want to and different things please different eyes, I have two rebuilt MNs and I like them a lot, but the original for me has a grace and beauty that is lost on subsequent tinkering.

Just had an e mail to say mine is on its way.  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Indeed, and it's good we DO all like different things - heavens. I think the BR/SR Q1 is elegant, have two, want/may get more ;) , just thought I'd offer my personal was all :)

(SOME folks even like Grotty Wrotten Railway stuff apparently, don't they! ) :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how many members of this forum saw and heard Bulleid's MN Pacifics  before modification in the mid 50's ? Maybe if you had experienced them during their heydays on the ACE,the Arrow and the Belle you might just have been,as I was, bowled over by their awesome mass and power and by and by the unique sound....just like the softness of Roald Dahl's BFG.Above all they were different.That very difference captured the imagination.It still does to this day..I saw 21C3,I heard it. I hung out the  carriage window behind its tender . Ugly ? Handsome is as handsome does. It does it for me now nearly sixty years on.

• Like 4

Can of worms or blasphemy, either way, I'm in total agreement, very ugly - and I'm a BR/SR modeler! I've ALWAYS felt this original SR air-smoothed design looks very toy-like for some reason and I'd not touch one with anyone's ten foot pole! :O  

I'm obviously more than OK with the revised air-smoothed that "Holland-Afrika Line" and "Clan Line" will be presented in as I already own "City of Wells", "Winston Churchill" and "Bude", but it's a pity that unless I want to rename/renumber "Clan Line" (already got one you see, and it's very nice, rebuilt) I'll have to go with "Holland-Afrika" and TTS or wait/hope for other releases that DON'T include any rebuilts I have...

I know that the reason for "Clan Line" is probably/supposedly due to it still being around....

Clan Line was the very last one to be rebuilt, and was probably the only one to have the late BR totem in 1959 whilst still in original form, so it's historically interesting from that point.

If they wanted to pick a nice original MN to portray then, arguably, General Steam Navigation would be a good idea since not only does it still exist but its owning group aim to turn back time and restore it to its original Series 2 chain-driven form. Interestingly, Holland-America Line was also considered for similar reversion but Jeremy Hosking eventually bought it for spare parts.

• RMweb Gold

Clan Line was the very last one to be rebuilt, and was probably the only one to have the late BR totem in 1959 whilst still in original form, so it's historically interesting from that point.

If they wanted to pick a nice original MN to portray then, arguably, General Steam Navigation would be a good idea since not only does it still exist but its owning group aim to turn back time and restore it to its original Series 2 chain-driven form. Interestingly, Holland-America Line was also considered for similar reversion but Jeremy Hosking eventually bought it for spare parts.

Neatly combining the two points in fact photographic evidence has now been found that shows that 35011 was also paired for a short while to a tender with a late BR Totem for many years it was believed that 35028 was the only one.

I think the need for some decent Bulleid coaches has now become desperate ( Hornby take note ).

Hornby's Maunsells and Pullmans are fine, but please let's have some appropriate coaches,

which would also suit the many SR/BR(S) loco's now available.

Stewart

Without a doubt the West Country/Battle of Britain pacifics were the neater looking of the two Bulleid pacific designs and here in its original form the MN doesn't look too pretty.

I thought I might fancy 21C3, but no I shall wait for one of the 21C11-20 series to appear, when the design had been tidied-up somewhat.

Glenn

• RMweb Gold

Without a doubt the West Country/Battle of Britain pacifics were the neater looking of the two Bulleid pacific designs and here in its original form the MN doesn't look too pretty.

I thought I might fancy 21C3, but no I shall wait for one of the 21C11-20 series to appear, when the design had been tidied-up somewhat.

Glenn

That standard design wouldn't have come, if it wasn't for all the nips and tucks that were done to the first 10 Merchant Navies.

I wonder how many members of this forum saw and heard Bulleid's MN Pacifics  before modification in the mid 50's ? Maybe if you had experienced them during their heydays on the ACE,the Arrow and the Belle you might just have been,as I was, bowled over by their awesome mass and power and by and by the unique sound....just like the softness of Roald Dahl's BFG.Above all they were different.That very difference captured the imagination.It still does to this day..I saw 21C3,I heard it. I hung out the  carriage window behind its tender . Ugly ? Handsome is as handsome does. It does it for me now nearly sixty years on.

Indeed I saw many of the class and also the BB/WC as I spent inordinate amounts of time staring down the 4-track Waterloo to Portsmouth (via Woking) mainline at Weybridge as well as countless hours at Waterloo and Nine Elms in my misspent early years and yoof.

Whilst I don't recall the earliest experiences - dad and mum recount that the ONLY place I was silent, and eventually would fall asleep for the first two years of my life ('49-'50) was if they took me up to Weybridge station to watch the trains. From there it was a natural progressing to hauling myself up there when I could and later to various points on the route.

Sadly, I've only a handful of pictures for all the years I was spotting, and have long ago lost the Ian Allan Combined Volumes that were the living record of my achievement wasted early years. I wasn't "around/noticing them" when these versions of the MN were plying the rails...

• Like 1