Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold

Hornby do have the tender chassis for the other 2 tender types already...

Any variant of the new Merchant Navy models will be manufactured from completely new tooling for manufacturing logistical and tooling wear purposes and also to ensure a consistent level of detail across the new models. 

• RMweb Gold

Any variant of the new Merchant Navy models will be manufactured from completely new tooling for manufacturing logistical and tooling wear purposes and also to ensure a consistent level of detail across the new models. 

It should be pointed out that the 6,000 gl tender chassis was extensively retooled for the last release (R3130XS), as where the light pacific tenders to allow for DCC Sound and permanent coupling.

• RMweb Premium

It should be pointed out that the 6,000 gl tender chassis was extensively retooled for the last release (R3130XS), as where the light pacific tenders to allow for DCC Sound and permanent coupling.

It will still be a completely new tooling. The reason will be so the tools wear at an even rate. They could have 4 different toolings fo the same tender because there are 4 different locos that have the same tender. Using the same tender tooling for all 4 means that the loco tool,ing will last 4 times longer than the tender tooling.

• RMweb Gold

It will still be a completely new tooling. The reason will be so the tools wear at an even rate. They could have 4 different toolings fo the same tender because there are 4 different locos that have the same tender. Using the same tender tooling for all 4 means that the loco tool,ing will last 4 times longer than the tender tooling.

I'm well aware it will new tooling!

Perhaps I should have explain myself better, the cads are all on file for those tenders (or should be - one would hope), so half the job is done for them - especially with the alteration for permanent coupling and dcc sound compatibility having been carried out.

Ref. retooled M.N/W.C tenders for sound etc--do you know if the tender upper body is  interchangeable with the original form.

I am planning to swap some tenders around ,particularly when Bude arrives.I want to put a high sided tender body on.I could then put the cut down on Combe Martin

thanks,

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Ref. retooled M.N/W.C tenders for sound etc--do you know if the tender upper body is  interchangeable with the original form.

I am planning to swap some tenders around ,particularly when Bude arrives.I want to put a high sided tender body on.I could then put the cut down on Combe Martin

thanks,

Ed

Unfortunately not, the fixing holes are in a different place on the newer tenders. However you could always alter the innards ;)

• RMweb Gold

thanks,

Ed

Even if they fitted, the cabside lining on locos with high sided tenders was two horizontals.

That changed to a round-cornered rectangle (as on rebuilts) when locos received cut down tenders.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

John,

Thank you for your info.Have got a Wilton body that  has the cabside lining to match with the cut down tender lining style.

Hopefully the Wilton body will fit on the new style loco chassis. e.g Bude/Exeter.

• RMweb Gold

John,

Thank you for your info.Have got a Wilton body that  has the cabside lining to match with the cut down tender lining style.

Hopefully the Wilton body will fit on the new style loco chassis. e.g Bude/Exeter.

Anything will fit anything if you are determined enough.............. :O  

John

• RMweb Gold

John,

Swapping the loco bodies will work, I've done it on numerous WC, BoB's, MN's, I even swapped loco bodies on a Grange!

Anything will fit anything if you are determined enough.............. :O  

John

.... and use enough lubrication  :jester:  :jester:

• 4 months later...

Channel Packet and Royal Mail announced in as-built SR condition, as expected (at least for 21C1 - wonder if it will be in gloss?).

Clan Line and Holland-Afrika Line announced in early BR condition ....... but in Green or Blue? Oh! The suspense.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, and I am hoping for a lot of help from the experts as to what year each model is accurate for.

In this instance "early BR" really covers a multitude of minor changes over the years.

First bit of advice..

You'd better invest in a good metal detector, they are an absolute minefield  :jester:  :jester:

Seriously though Irwell's The Book of the Merchant Navy Pacifics would be a wise investment..

• RMweb Premium

First bit of advice..

You'd better invest in a good metal detector, they are an absolute minefield :jester: :jester:

Seriously though Irwell's The Book of the Merchant Navy Pacifics would be a wise investment..

Maybe we should all clap together and send a few copies to the Hornby guys

Hornby has now told me 35023 and 35028 will be in BR green.

Pleased with that, much as I liked the blue MNs, as I can run Clan Line 35028 with almost all the rebuilt MNs. It was one of the last two to be converted.

Holland-Afrika Line 35023 was an early rebuild and can really only run with Hornby's rebuilt Bibby Line and Holland America Line.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Over the coming years,Hornby will have a large playing field with liveries.Wartime black and sunshine,malachite BR blue and green.I am waiting to see if one of our retailers or museums will market a special commission in the first tranche. A model I have waited years for....Special Thanks to Graham for his input.

Apologies if this all sounds a bit pedantic but a few points re running 'un-rebuilt' 35028 alongside 'rebuilt' MNs.

Hornby's 35028 will have an early BR logo. 1st MNs rebuilt were in 1956 but some time between 1957-59  Clan Line obtained a late BR logo (the only 'un-rebuilt' MN to do so). During it's early BR logo spell 35028 ran on the Eastern section of BRS, whereas the vast majority of MNs ran on the Western section of BRS. The only rebuilt MN to appear on the Eastern section was 35015 for a brief period in 1958-59.

Regardless of all of this, there's always 'Rule 1'.

PRTRAINMAN