Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

Thank you for such a quick and definitive reply, Graham.  I assume also that the "original condition" is as pictured on P2 of the Irwell Press book, i.e. with a matt Malachite finish, "unlucky" horseshoe "Southern" on the door and the front numberplate on the sloping face of the front (later removed to the lower vertical face when the scond step was added.   Great, I have ordered one and can't wait for it to arrive. Hopefully, a Version in BR Blue will appear in 2017 when my wallet has recovered.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for such a quick and definitive reply, Graham.  I assume also that the "original condition" is as pictured on P2 of the Irwell Press book, i.e. with a matt Malachite finish, "unlucky" horseshoe "Southern" on the door and the front numberplate on the sloping face of the front (later removed to the lower vertical face when the scond step was added.   Great, I have ordered one and can't wait for it to arrive. Hopefully, a Version in BR Blue will appear in 2017 when my wallet has recovered.

Your assumption about 21C1 is indeed correct. the electric lamps will also be in the original position on the vertical face before being repositioned later to the sloping face.

I pretty certain that at some stage a BR Blue version of a Merchant Navy will be on the cards.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks. I hope the green on 35028 doesn't look as awful on the final model as it does on my screen... Hornby's website images of MN/WC/BB locos have looked ok up to now, but this seems to be heading in a similar direction as the awful green used on the BR(W) Kings.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

I wonder, given the tooling for the C/D 5100g tender already exists under the Hornby name, if we'll ever see a model like this... 

https://www.facebook.com/35011GSN/photos/a.1483590051935177.1073741828.1483385918622257/1548541562106692/?type=3&theater

Regards,

Matt

I already bought a spare tender body (spotted at a show) in the hope of them doing something close enough to use it..........

John

Who else cringes every time they say "Un-rebuilt"?

I know we have had this discussion before, in other threads, but while "unrebuilt" (or "un-rebuilt") are not ideal terms, 1. we all know what is meant by them, and 2. "original" doesn't cut it when there were so many modifications and variations from the original Channel Packet as built originally!

That said, I think maybe Hornby could refer to 21C1 as illustrated as "original", but that may not apply to some of the other "unrebuilt" versions they are to produce.

I don't think there is any "perfect" terminology, given the nature of Bulleid's beasts!! :D

• RMweb Gold

I know we have had this discussion before, in other threads, but while "unrebuilt" (or "un-rebuilt") are not ideal terms, 1. we all know what is meant by them, and 2. "original" doesn't cut it when there were so many modifications and variations from the original Channel Packet as built originally!

That said, I think maybe Hornby could refer to 21C1 as illustrated as "original", but that may not apply to some of the other "unrebuilt" versions they are to produce.

I don't think there is any "perfect" terminology, given the nature of Bulleid's beasts!! :D

But 'streamlined' the rebuilds certainly weren't.

• RMweb Gold

Who else cringes every time they say "Un-rebuilt"?

Just told Hornby on their forum to stop referring to them as such, I didn't go so far as to mention that a large detachment of the malachite green and sunshine yellow striped robe wearing crowd where en-route to Sandwich...

:jester:

• RMweb Gold

Air smoothed

• RMweb Gold

Air Smoothed is a much better term to use, as original will only apply to 21C1 and even with that particular loco, only for a short space of time.

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 1

Almost all classes were subject to variations in the design, either between batches, or from improvements in aerodynamics and performance - but it wouldn't make them 'unoriginal'.

But, 'Un-rebuilt' would imply the locos had been rebuilt, and then converted back. The rebuilds were, as near as makes no difference, an entirely different class that utilised the existing parts in the design. The GSN project will be the only legitimate use of the term "Un-rebuilt".

Personally, I prefer "As-Built" or "Air-Smoothed". Or even no prefix at all, given it's how they were designed, and not a subsequent modification.

Regards,

Matt

I hate to complain - but I'm going to ANYWAY :jester:  :onthequiet:

So, "Channel Packet" and "Royal Mail", two NEW and excellent choices but ONLY in the Southern livery.

Don't Hornby realize there was more than ONE MN class loco in BR livery (sarcasm mode)?

I'd love the AIR SMOOTHED MN in BR livery, but I already HAVE "Clan Line". Maybe they have an extra supply of "2" and "8" for some reason - c'mon folks, can't anyone be the LEAST bit creative and produce another number <yawn>

So far they've released it as a loco in EIGHT model years and in a set in FIVE model years as best I can tell. Maybe BR had more than ONE 35028 running (more sarcasm)  :O

I KNOW I can renumber the bloody thing, which is what I'll have to do, but can't we, FOR ONCE, see different member of the class than this, they managed it for the Southern ones...

Edited by Ian Abel

Whilst on the subject of correct naming - because the locos kept their frames, 2 cylinders, wheels and boiler, British Railways called the Jarvis rebuilds "Modified Pacifics" rather than rebuilds.

This was presumably because British Railways was still "rebuilding" the Fowler Scots and in BR and LMS parlance a "rebuild" didn't use anything of the originals.......

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Whilst on the subject of correct naming - because the locos kept their frames, 2 cylinders, wheels and boiler, British Railways called the Jarvis rebuilds "Modified Pacifics" rather than rebuilds.

This was presumably because British Railways was still "rebuilding" the Fowler Scots and in BR and LMS parlance a "rebuild" didn't use anything of the originals.......

Ian

The last of the Scot rebuilds (46137) pre dates the first MN rebuild (35018) by at least 3 years.They were not concurrent.

• RMweb Gold

I am waiting for Hornby to make a blue one before I buy one. No-one is making any Bulleid coaches in Southern malachite green livery to go with the Southern Merchant Navy Pacifics so without matching coaches the Southern Pacifics do not appeal to me.

An understandable stance but it won't stop this particular Bulleid freak.Given Hornby's outstanding recent success with the Colletts and LSWR rebuilds,it surely won't be long ?

• Like 3

Bachmann are in the Thanet train pack...........

I am waiting for Hornby to make a blue one before I buy one. No-one is making any Bulleid coaches in Southern malachite green livery to go with the Southern Merchant Navy Pacifics so without matching coaches the Southern Pacifics do not appeal to me.

Thanks. I hope the green on 35028 doesn't look as awful on the final model as it does on my screen... Hornby's website images of MN/WC/BB locos have looked ok up to now, but this seems to be heading in a similar direction as the awful green used on the BR(W) Kings.

Good grief, give them a break! The announcement is welcome and, as Hornby say, they are computer-generated pictures. Better, surely, to be patient and wait for the final result, is it not?

(Minor edit)

Edited by olivegreen

Did they not pull Maunsell coaches then?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good grief, give them a break! The announcement is welcome and, as Hornby say, they are computer-generated pictures. Better, surely, to be patient and wait for the final result, is it not?

(Minor edit)

No because a computer generated image, that has had the colours nuances compressed out to make it smaller, shown on an uncalibrated computer screen has to match some ones at least 70 year old memory or photo precisely. Otherwise Hornby are a complete fiasco.

:O 

• Like 1