Bachmann Branchline announcements for 2015/6

Andy Y

I think the announcement of Action Man, Tiny Tears and Star Wars figures is on the cards. ;)

Are you referring to Hornby in this reply??  If so, I'm sure your exceptionally humorous take on their current problems will give all the people possibly affected by current events a huge laugh, as they try to keep a roof over their heads!

I hope your current employment position is totally secure. Or perhaps not....?

Gwiwer, taking shots from a relatively stable ..? Australian economy does you no credit!

No cheers,

Just hoping Hornby survive..

Peter C.

For me the big interest is two of the remaining BR standards, Class 2 tank and Class 3 tender and the beautiful Southern Q class 0-6-0 plus tender. With Bachmann being the mainstay of the small/medium BR Standards, I have hopes, especially of the Standard Class 2 tank with the new Ivatt Class 2 tank chassis in the offing.

Are you referring to Hornby in this reply??

This is the Bachmann thread, so I'd say it refers to Bachmann. They did recently make an unusual (for them) acquisition of Pocketbond.

A little gallows humour is usually a response to the relieve tension in difficult times. It isn't necessarily mockery - particularly of those who are not in control.

I think we all do.

• RMweb Gold

Are you referring to Hornby in this reply??  If so, I'm sure your exceptionally humorous take on their current problems will give all the people possibly affected by current events a huge laugh, as they try to keep a roof over their heads!

I hope your current employment position is totally secure. Or perhaps not....?

Gwiwer, taking shots from a relatively stable ..? Australian economy does you no credit!

No cheers,

Peter C.

er no.... Palitoy actually. I think a Google would have eradicated any doubt. True Palitoy was a company that had it's problems but more a comment of diversification and history repeating itself.

Talk about jumping to conclusions.

Gwiver and myself shall await your apology.

Griff

In the past I have had more excitement over the Bachmann announcements than I have this time, and for a simple reason. The products which Bachmann announce take so long to come out. I can't get excited, as I just don't know what my financial situation will be like in 2-3 years time! Despite announcing very little in 2014, none of the products which were announced are anywhere near coming, as well as products from 2012 and 2013 still being anticipated.

• RMweb Premium

In the past I have had more excitement over the Bachmann announcements than I have this time, and for a simple reason. The products which Bachmann announce take so long to come out. I can't get excited, as I just don't know what my financial situation will be like in 2-3 years time! Despite announcing very little in 2014, none of the products which were announced are anywhere near coming, as well as products from 2012 and 2013 still being anticipated.

I agree here!

I am excited for the Bachmann announcements although not as much as previous years. I know that the waiting times are just predicted/anticipated for the new announcements but we seem to be waiting longer as the years go by for particular products. Don't get me wrong I am very pleased with Bachmann's modern image locos and rolling stock and the quality of them is fantastic. Can't fault them at all but it's alright them announcing more products for 2017/2018 but the products from previous years aren't here yet.

I agree that it's difficult to plan financially as to how much your going to have available between one to four years down the line (no pun intended) from when products are announced. It also doesn't get very exciting if their are products that you want that you're going to be waiting years to be released and even when it's released you might not be able to afford it.

There are also quite a lot of people who would like DRS Compass 20/3s. I have mentioned this to Bachmann for a few years and they never appeared in the new announcements. It's a bit down hearting to hear that specific products just seem to be dismissed from been produced because their different and that will consequently mean that tooling has to be updated/modified in the factory to allow these locos to be produced.

Something else I have picked up on is the time scale between locos been repainted into new liveries in reality and the time we have to wait for them. Take the Northern Belle Class 57/3s (57305 & 57312). 57305 was repainted at Eastleigh Arlington in September/October 2014 and 57312 I think shortly after. So both have now been wearing the Northern Belle livery for between 13-15 months. Even if say these for example both of these are announced in a few days time by the time Bachmann have produced them (probably not this year, maybe not the next) say if they arrived in 2018 the locos in reality will have already worn that livery for over three years and possibly repainted again. I am fully aware that it's a physical impossibility for Bachmann to constantly keep up with livery changes but the waiting time for new liveries does seem to be getting longer. I decided to just buy these two as resprays. Yes a bit more money per loco but at least I had them sooner and I can run them now with the livery they both wear in reality so I am as up to date as possible.

I do look forward to hearing the new announcements but I won't be that optimistic in the meantime as to what might be released.

I find the new models announced for sometime in the future interesting and also disheartening. Why both? Well, the new models increase the choice avalible to us of better models, which can only be good for the hobby, but also it means that you have more models chasing use of a finite number of slots in the manufacturing que. this means there is less chance of them doing reruns of older models as their back catalog increases in size.

Also, as for the time it takes to make said models and getting them to market. Look at it this way, if the machine used can make 1000 models a day, but requires half a day to change the moulds, which model would get preference? A uk model that would sell 500, or a US model that would sell 1500? We will be there in the que for the machines, but the manufacturer will rightly but priority on what it can make monies on.

If you think I'm being negative, not in the slightest, just realistic. The only down side I find to this system that has evolved regarding the continuous release of new models to keep people buying is the fact that unless you get what you want first time around, there is little chance of being able to acquire said models at a later date as the slots will be taken up already. Just look at how long it has taken to rerelease the bog standard 16ton mineral?

• RMweb Premium

A few things that I would like to see which I haven't already got are...

DRS Compass Class 20/3s.

HNRC Orange 20/3s.

DRS Compass 37601/603/604.

DRS Revised 37716.

DRS Revised 57003/007/010.

Another Freightliner Powerhaul 66/4/66/5.

Another GBRF 66/7 in Europort livery.

An EWS liveried DB stickered 66.

Just a few ideas. I don't think any of the above would require any tooling change except the DRS and HNRC 20/3s.

Whilst ona break from operating on friday in glasgow i wandered over to he Bachmann stand and was handed i free catalog in which the re-worked v1/v3 makes and apprarance, i must say it is nice to see it in this years book and i an looking forward to when the locos arrive, i have threr of the split chassis examples and all are good runners for the age of the models but it will be nice to have the never chassis version when it arrives.

Gary

A few more Sprinters in FGW Blue 150/2 Blue, FGW Local Lines (The not so impossible livery after Realtracks excellent efforts) and 150/1 in Sliverlink would be the items i'd like to see, certainly with little doubt as to how well they would sell - Try picking up a FGW 150/1 or 143 for under a 120 these days!

I have a feeling that something will appear within the new gWr guise though. That could either be a Sprinter, Turbo or 57.

Archived