Bachmann Branchline announcements for 2015/6

Andy Y

No Decorum,

While I agree about 00 and not OO, as spoken it is double O, and not double zero or double nought.  All very confusing.

French is the same with in using the letters in H0.  Ache O.

It is only when you get to German that the demands of exactitude and precision describe H0 as Halb Nul (half zero).

Confusing it is. The cause is our saying "oh" when we mean O and when we mean 0.

In the first case, O is the LNER letter denoting 2-8-0 classes. The series runs: N, O, P.

In the second, the series runs: Gauge 3, 2, 1, 0, half 0. Then it gets nutty. 00, 000, N and so on. I'm sure any mathematician would say that's what you can expect when you come out with nonsense such as half 0.

• RMweb Gold

Any mathematician will tell you that the next gauges after 0 are -1, -2, etc.  :devil:

If you think 00, 000, N and so on gets nutty, what about the designations for broad and narrow gauges? Once it was simple: OOn3 for 3-ft gauge in 4 mm. scale, OOb7 for broad gauge GWR in 4 mm. scale, HOn30 for 2-ft 6-in gauge in 3.5 mm. scale; then along came Hoe, Hom, OO9 (or is it 009?), etc.

We seem to have reached the point where supply problems and saturation of the market have largely killed anticipation and "froth"

Partly because so much has been taken off the table in the last 10 years because it's already been done RTR  that the potential for exciting us is limited.

It's very difficult to do something unprecedented now - we've got a little punch-drunk in the last decade. And the obviously popular kettles have more or less all been done

Partly because the supply difficulties and financial problems mean that any new announcement has  little practical implication for most of us. Anything announced will take 2-5 years to appear, and will cost an unknown amount but significantly more than today, when disposable income and the cost of new RTR is already giving people pause. It's clear that modellers are now much more selective in their purchasing - partly because we're all satiated after nearly 2 decades of the OO RTR boom and our cupboards are already bulging with stock, and partly because impulse buying is inhibited by current prices

This is not to suggest the prices aren't justified by cost and (lack of) profitability. But inevitably a sharp rise in the real cost of RTR will inhibit demand, and when we are down to the niche and exotic prototypes as subjects for new tooling it gets difficult to generate a buzz. And when we've slipped from "this year, next year" to "sometime, never" in terms of arrival dates it's difficult to get excited.

I would almost certainly buy an Ivatt 2-6-2T if it was on sale now. But it was announced as an upgrade years ago, will not be appearing until at least 2017 - and I've no idea what my personal circumstances will be in 2 years' time  Similarly an upgraded 158 was announced years ago and will presumably emerge in a few years time. In the meantime I already have two models , they are pretty respectable and there's no reason for me to replace them - especially if it would cost GBP500 to do so some years from now.  In the meantime 158s ceased to be available RTR in 4mm several years ago - but no-one seems to be screaming for them

I don't think there was anything in last year's Bachmann announcement that I felt I needed to buy - but it doesn't matter, because I don't think anything they announced has made it into the shops except the LT stock. Which is very nice but requires space I don't have.

Now that the production issues have eased there is plenty of stock in the supply chain again - but it seems the market won't absorb it all nowadays . This is a fairly bleak environment for launching new products

I think theres a lot of truth in Ravensers latest comments.

Personally, the whole area around what is to be made is still interesting, if academic. Really the reason for interest is to get something new but the excitement is rapidly fading as even if announced it wont be for some considerable time. While companies a few years ago were getting to the point of announcing engines and them appearing in 1-2 years, now its gone from this to waiting 5 years or more. Reliveries help those available but now with products arriving in dribs and drabs most people have bought up what is there, or what is available on second hand. Its made prices for that soar. There is just not the excitement around if an engine is made and then waiting years for it. Bachmanns delays adding more and more to time are not helping its image or its impression with customers. Trade must be suffering when so little is reaching here.

Hornby might have suffered from lots of investment to turn things around, but now are producing loads of models which means the cash flow needs to be right. Their cheap deals and direct selling might not help the trade and have changed behaviours but thats Hornby. Bachmann seem to have come to the delays and problems with manufacturing that Hornby did some few years ago, before the reorganisation of production. But the problem doesnt seem to get better. It makes me wonder how much income and revenue Bachmann are getting compared to the norm and how well they are trading overall. While they might not have had expensive reorganisations I think revenue will be lower and profits equally so.

Delays and distruption by both are letting in competitors, and they are picking the items on wishlists that still are very interesting given the themes they underline for some time and these are what I have said for years. It will be interesting to see what Bachmann does announce and when, and if they mention production issues effecting performance. Otherwise its all still a waiting game....

Would love some more S&D stock (including BR numbers that saw service on the line, 4F's, 3F's, ect) and other 7F running numbers  :locomotive:

Uhhh. I thought that an NER Q6 was coming, and suitable 9Fs and there have already been austerity 2-8-0s and other locos suitable for North East England.

Paul

PS if you mean SDJR please say so. There are a lot of agreed abbreviations for pre group lines. :jester:

Guest spet0114

So just nine days to go know. That must mean only eight days before Hornby releases news of a new model.

Though it remains to be seen whether Hornby will survive long enough to deliver it....

• RMweb Gold

So just nine days to go know. That must mean only eight days before Hornby releases news of a new model.

All pretty much Ho Hum unfortunately from any of the manufacturers(except perhaps Oxford) I have pre-orders in for a few items and I am a very patient person but I sometimes wonder whether I'll be around to see them!

Rgds...Mike

Would love some more S&D stock (including BR numbers that saw service on the line, 4F's, 3F's, ect) and other 7F running numbers  :locomotive:

All these need tooling modifications really.

For modelling the late 50s and 60s period, the 4F needs a 'coal hole' rather than 'coal door' Fowler tender. None of the Somerset & Dorset right hand drive 4Fs had coal doors.

Of the lines 'own' long life 3Fs, the Bachmann model can only be re-numbered as 43682 (which is a 'standard' 3F), something I've already done myself. The smokebox plate is available from 247 Developments. To do an S&D 'Bulldog', the tooling needs the extra sandboxes with the 'sticky out' fillers for the leading wheels, and the sandbox operating lever on the right hand side. Even then Bachmann can only do 43218 which has the same tender as the Bachmann model. To do any other Bulldog, Bachmann need to make a smaller Johnson tender.

More 7Fs requires Bachmann to make the 1914 series right hand drive version with for some a coal hole tender, or to make the 1925 series 53807, needs the 1914 type smokebox saddle and a coal hole Fowler tender.

All of these tooling modifications are quite small though.

A large boiler 1925 series 7F would need a separate boiler/smokebox unit so extra tooling, but the large boilers were all gone by the mid 50s.

Uhhh. I thought that an NER Q6 was coming, and suitable 9Fs and there have already been austerity 2-8-0s and other locos suitable for North East England.

Paul

PS if you mean SDJR please say so. There are a lot of agreed abbreviations for pre group lines. :jester:

I don't know, I would normally take S&D to mean Somerset and Dorset rather than Stirling & Dollar. :)

BTW Paul many thanks for your superb wagons website.

I agree (for once) with the desirability of the GWR Mogul and Manor being re-issued with DCC capability.  I never thought I'd ever big up copper kettles, normally the letters G, W and R bring me out in hives, but I'm involved in a new club-type project which will need a Manor or three and some Moguls, and be capable of DCC running.  So yes, holding my nose and promising to go to confessional for my sins, I'd support the re-release of the Mogul and Manor. 

Right, I'm off for a shower now, I feel dirty.

I don't know, I would normally take S&D to mean Somerset and Dorset rather than Stirling & Dollar. :)

BTW Paul many thanks for your superb wagons website.

No, the S&D is considerably older, more important historically and partially still in existence. There are recognised abbreviations for railways, not least because they were carried on rolling stock, and you are referring to the S&DJR. http://www.sdjr.net/sd_wagons.html It would have been a right mess if two companies thought S&D was suitable for their stock.

Paul

Looks like one setback for Bachmann's already announced Class 121 diesel railcar, which was an advance announcement of the 2016/17 range, in that Dapol have confirmed their intention to go ahead with both the 121 and 122 railcars in 'oo' gauge, at the D&E event at Telford and showed EP samples of the 122 in 'oo' gauge with samples of the 121 tooling due to be shown at Ally Pally according to the RM web member who asked the Dapol staff. They also advised that they intended to develop other dmu models on the same platform. Could that be another duplication with Bachmann of a 117 or 115/116.

I also agree that the distance between announcements and the actual arrival of new models has taken the heat out of the pre-announcement speculation.

Acknowledging that new things take time and cost money to develop I am still hopeful of something though – I would like another 56XX in pre-war livery, the shirtbutton perhaps?

When the last Collett goods was announced as DCC ready I promptly auctioned mine in the expectation that a 1930’s liveried version would appear the following year – it hasn’t happened yet.

I could put up with a 93XX based around the original mouldings which as far as I am aware has only ever been released with GWR on the tender, although a DCC ready chassis would be nice.

So two out of three on my wish list would only require Bachmann to splash out on a minor paint job and a new label for the existing packaging.

Can I have them by August please?

If Bachmann don’t mind tooling something for me, there are still coaches on my shopping list despite the recent Hornby releases. As the Bachmann shirtbutton liveried Collect coaches have dark grey roofs I believe this puts them in the wartime period and so as far as I am aware they have never produced a pre-war Great Western liveried coach.

• RMweb Gold

If Bachmann don’t mind tooling something for me, there are still coaches on my shopping list despite the recent Hornby releases. As the Bachmann shirtbutton liveried Collect coaches have dark grey roofs I believe this puts them in the wartime period and so as far as I am aware they have never produced a pre-war Great Western liveried coach.

Isn't this just a repainting job?

If Bachmann don’t mind tooling something for me, there are still coaches on my shopping list. Start off with Bulleid non-gangwayed suburban coaches: just two bodyshells (or three if the later version is included), in sets of 4 coaches, including one motor bogie and no locomotive.

Archived