Graham Farish announcements for 2015/6

Andy Y

I'm sorry if my post earlier makes it sound as if the Sound-fitted 108 DMU is just train-set material. The models I am building never had regular DMU services, otherwise I my well be interested!

I do really hope this is a successful venture, and I think marketing a "train-set" with the sound-fitted DMU might attract the potential future modellers to N gauge. I do know DCC sound really appeals to younger persons (I won't say "kids" as it sounds a bit derogatory!). There are some who model 4mm scale simply because of DCC sound, albeit with the disadvantages that modern accommodation can often have space wise for building a good layout with decent length runs in that scale.

Aside from that I think the Farish announcements for us diesel era modellers are very good indeed.

That said, I would support a campaign for Mr Bachman (if he's listening) to produce a split-headcode Class 40 as they have a lot more character than the later centre headcode loco's! Also it would be an entirely new Class 40 as they have not done this variant previously.

• RMweb Premium

Ok a long shot I know but if you don't ask.......

With the pair of 20s for the treatment train, does anyone know if they are both motorised or is one a dummy?

From the price I'd say both are powered

I think Bachmann have said in the past that for the limited difference in production costs there is no point in them doing unpowered models.

This is illustrated by the 101 parcels (Red Star?) unit which was manufactured with two powered cars.

Roy

I think Bachmann have said in the past that for the limited difference in production costs there is no point in them doing unpowered models.

This is illustrated by the 101 parcels (Red Star?) unit which was manufactured with two powered cars.

Roy

This came to light when the two from Bachman gave an interview with a railway magazine.  One of the questions posed by readers was, would Bachman consider producing dummy locos, this would make double headers easily affordable.  The answer was, no. They stated that the difference in costs between powered and unpowered would be no more than £5.00.  

I find this a strange response considering that I have a pre-order for a Dapol class 66 dummy from Hattons costing £24.00 

Unlike the Dapol unpowered locos which have NO electrics, Farish were looking at an unmotorised version but still capable of DCC / lighting (like their Voyager)

Sadly with the Class 20 the only option is to remove the motor, and this will retain the DCC / lighting

Equally, it's not exactly double heading as there is a Class 20 at each end of the train

With them both motorised there is an increased risk of the train derailing

I find it weird how farish dont do dummy locos and only five pound less it is odd how the bigger of the 2 main makers cant do it where as the smaller of the 2 Dapol manage it no problem.

Perhaps Bachmann's design methodology doesn't lend itself to producing cost effective unmotorised versions in the same manner that Dapol's does.

You are most likely right, seems like they are missing a trick really!

I know I have a few dummys already and want a good few more potentially if they designed them with that part of the spec then they could get more sales out of the molds and well maybe make it cheaper for use or more sales which is what any company wants!

• RMweb Premium

Well I have taken the plunge and ordered the weedkiller 20's, coaches and tanks.  I presume they won't be here for quite a while!!  Will all three parts arrive together though?

I think those sorts of dmu will come via Dapol(one day)

Well, there's a slight problem in that Kernow have nabbed the OO version via. DJ Models, so now is anyone like Dapol or Farish going to do the N version knowing they can't scale it up without duplicating the DJ Models version? I've still got my fingers crossed that the contract between Kernow & DJM isn't exclusive and that Dave can shrink down the OO version eventually.

Certainly the 1st Gen suburban DMU is a missing link in N.

The 116/117 (And potentially even 115?) would have the advantage of a wide range of liveries covering a long timescale. I suspect that green and blue variants would be very popular,

My question is how to make it cost effective? The Farish N DMUs have gone up in price by eye watering amounts, principally (I suspect) due to the number of separately fitted components and labour cost it would entail. Would it be possible to design umm "cleverly" to minimise the number of separately glued on fittings (especially in the underframe area) without overly compromising on the quality of the end product?

I do wonder whether this family of DMU may actually be a very good candidate for a proposal under Ben and Mike's "RevolutionN" concept. If Dave has the CADs already, maybe (depending on whether he or Kernow "own" them) he would be the more likely one to involve, but that is diverging somewhat from the Farish 2015/16 thread!

Roy

Browsing through the new Farish Catalogue (2015/16) which arrived today, the picture accompanying the entry for the Bulleid 3-coach set shows the set number 830 on the end of the brake coach. This was a Waterloo-West of England set and was extended in July 1959 by the addition of two 'long tank' SKs. The individual Bulleid coaches in BR(S) Green are no longer listed, but the Crimson/Cream versions are...

Today's Bachmann Club 'Times' shows a SDJR class 4F in Prussian Blue as the new N limited edition item.  'Limited' to 504 as usual and priced at £99.95 plus £4.00 P&P

• RMweb Gold

Today's Bachmann Club 'Times' shows a SDJR class 4F in Prussian Blue as the new N limited edition item.  'Limited' to 504 as usual and priced at £99.95 plus £4.00 P&P

Oh dear, I was expecting that. The Farish 4F has the wrong tender for an S&D one and they were never blue anyway. That said it will make an attractive model and I'm sure they will sell well.

Jerry

Browsing through the new Farish Catalogue (2015/16) which arrived today, the picture accompanying the entry for the Bulleid 3-coach set shows the set number 830 on the end of the brake coach. This was a Waterloo-West of England set and was extended in July 1959 by the addition of two 'long tank' SKs. The individual Bulleid coaches in BR(S) Green are no longer listed, but the Crimson/Cream versions are...

Hattons still list the green SKs as available. Are these suitable for extending the set?

Also, Hattons are listing the 3-car set as £72 but you can still buy 2 BSKs and a CK for just a smidge over £60.  :scratchhead:

Hattons still list the green SKs as available. Are these suitable for extending the set?

Also, Hattons are listing the 3-car set as £72 but you can still buy 2 BSKs and a CK for just a smidge over £60.  :scratchhead:

The SKs as they have been produced only cover numbers 26-80. In SKs 81-130 the roof water tanks for the lavatories were longer and mounted slightly inboard of the ones in the earlier vehicles (hence 'long tank'), but the diagram wasn't changed. The Farish SOs have these larger tanks so you can see the difference. If you can ignore this then the existing SKs could do.

The ones for set 830 were 114 and 115, inserted in between the CK and the BSKs (i.e. BSK-SK-CK-SK-BSK). Up until July 1959 the three-car set had been extended on a 'Summer only' basis with any available pair of SKs, and not always as neatly as the 1959 permanent reformation, sometimes the temporary SKs would be inserted as a pair at one end.

I have no withdrawl date for set 830 so I assume it lasted until the formal set system was discontinued in March 1966. Individual coach withdrawl dates were BSK 3971: 5/66; SK 114: 11/67; CK 5848 9/67; SK 115: 9/67; BSK 3972: 10/66.

The set has the set numbers applied and (hopefully) revised coach numbers, and presumably have a special package to keep them in - whether that's worth £12 to anyone is up to them to decide...

• RMweb Gold

Latest pre-order price increases just received from Hattons. Merchant Navy's up to £135.96 from £127.46 and 4MT Tanks up to £97.71 from £84.11. 

When the Merchant Navy was announced in March 2012, the RRP was £138.95 and is now £159.95 which is more or less a 15% increase.

Tom. 

Archived