Graham Farish announcements for 2015/6

Andy Y

I have just noticed the Hattons pre-order price for the J72 - £90 - for an 0-6-0 Tank!! 

Yes, that's the Hattons price, based on that goodness knows what they are anticipating the RRP being. ...

It had better be something pretty special for that price!!!

The Class 40s are quoted at a much more reasonable £95...

Roy

Hallo,

I'm waiting patiently for the aircons, which will probalby be sold out very fast indeed, 

es grüßt

pc

It's looks like we are all going to have to be patient as they haven't even got to the stage of the drawing office yet!

Like Ben, I suspect that the RRP for the inspection saloon will be well north of £30 which from memory is only 50% of the RRP for the OO saloon first releases. Glad the society commissioned it when they did as I suspect the risk would be too great with the price they would have to charge members in the current climate.

Also worth bearing in mind that without the N gauge society commission there may never have been a model in n (or oo,) and certainly not the 5-6 livery variations at launch that N gaugers had to choose from.

Edit: Just looked on Hattons site, Inspection Saloon available to pre-order at £38

• RMweb Gold

<snipped> Just looked on Hattons site, Inspection Saloon available to pre-order at £38

Hi Rob,

Interesting!

NGS price is £26.95; annual membership £16 = total £42.95.

Bearing in mind Hattons' prices are usually less than RRP it may be a close run thing!

Cheers

Ben A.

I have just noticed the Hattons pre-order price for the J72 - £90 - for an 0-6-0 Tank!! 

Yes, that's the Hattons price, based on that goodness knows what they are anticipating the RRP being. ...

It had better be something pretty special for that price!!!

The Class 40s are quoted at a much more reasonable £95...

Roy

Interesting - Hattons wanting £90 for a Farish J72, or £63 for a Dapol one.  For £82 you can have the Dapol one DCC fitted.

Dapol's J72s include 69023 in late BR black and one of the BR pair (68723) in NER-style livery.  Perhaps this is why Farish's list misses these out.  Dapol also have an NER green and an LNER green version, together with an early crest black one..

As I've said before with my Jinty and 57xx both wobbling and both being less-than-satisfactory to chip due to restricted decoder choice for both, first to market would get my money.  Having said that I know which sum I'd rather shell out. 

Les

Hi Rob,

Interesting!

Bearing in mind Hattons' prices are usually less than RRP it may be a close run thing!

Cheers

Ben A.

You also get access to the N gauge shop and 6 editions of the N gauge society magazine in the price. Collett brake, Thompson brake anyone.

Check out the Bachmann site, apparently many of the coach liveries already arrived in the UK!!

Probably another 'glitch' like everything being DCC on-board recently.

G

Hi Rob,

Even if its a few quid against the NGS it'd still be better 'value' to take the membership option. And bearing in mind that many N gauge enthusiasts are already an NGS member it potentially shrinks Farish's market potential.

PS membership can now be taken out on-line at the NGS website.

G

Even if its a few quid against the NGS it'd still be better 'value' to take the membership option. And bearing in mind that many N gauge enthusiasts are already an NGS member it potentially shrinks Farish's market potential.

PS membership can now be taken out on-line at the NGS website.

G

I Couldn't recommend the NGS too highly.  The range of rtr products are available at a discount if you pre-order and they are all models that are unlikely to have been produced otherwise.  I have a couple of Queen Mary brake vans (as well as an out of place Stove R and Inspection Saloon) and there's no way Farish or Dapol or any of the new manufacturers would have produced them under their own steam.  The shop has a really extensive range of essentials and the magazine, which I have always enjoyed, is now outstanding under Grahame Hedge's excellent editorship.

It's the best £16 I spend all year.

Mark   

Hi My 37/4 were DCC READY

The Farish website has done away with DCC Ready, it now shows them as DCC On Board (a decoder is fitted)

Is this an error on their website (as it is ALL models where a decoder can be fitted) or is there a second batch due?

As far as I'm concerned, another conservative list of announcements is a good thing given what is still outstanding from 2013 (and earlier?). Even so, there are some additions there which I'm more than happy to see. The 40 is my pick of the bunch, as is another release of unweathered Maroon Mk1 coaches. I'll probably find the IC Mk1s handy too, and the Hunslet 20s along with the weedkiller train is one of those things that I've wanted for a long time even though its of no use to me, a 'rule 1' addition methinks.

I'm glad to see the inspection saloon arrive in the main range too. When released I had no need of the BR Blue version so I never bought it, but when I found myself needing one the NGS had sold out of them. Sods law, and resigned to be at the mercy of Ebay...until now!

The only strange thing is the J72. Not the duplication, but why on earth Dapol announced it given the rumbings last year of a 00 Bachmann retool and associated Farish model, even though it wasn't officially announced then. A new Bach/Far J72 was always on the cards given its history in the Kader range, dating back to the original Mainline release in 1976. It wasn't just Bachmanns first, it was part of Kaders first foray into the UK market when Palitoy comissioned it.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham,

Dapol and Farish have always offered us (the NGS) different funding models.  With Dapol, we pay for and own the tooling; whereas with Farish we simply specify the models and pay the trade price for whatever we order and they offer us exclusivity for two years.

With the Farish models (perhaps more than those we have done with Dapol) the choices were also strategic; the Inspection Saloon was intended to offer a 50' LMS chassis that could be used for other vehicles such as the LMS BG and Stanier catering vehicles (though only the former has appeared) while the Thompson BG will, it's hoped, lead to other Thompson vehicles in the fullness of time as bogies and chassis will be already available.  Though needless to say the NGS has no influence over when - if at all - any such models might appear.

cheers

Ben A.

(NGS VP)

Hi Ben

Is this something the NGS would consider helping along by commissioning some further coaches? Maybe something like non-corridor stock?

The only strange thing is the J72. Not the duplication, but why on earth Dapol announced it given the rumbings last year of a 00 Bachmann retool and associated Farish model, even though it wasn't officially announced then.

It seems an odd choice with no obvious reason behind it. The J72 has never come anywhere near the top of any wishlist polls (I went back through the last 3 years of results and it never hit the top 25 as far as I can see). I suppose it has a certain "strategic fit" in that Dapol do a range of larger LNER locos as well as Gresley coaches, it allows them to offer a complete range. The J72 was handy in that it never underwent any particular modifications meaning the same basic loco is suitable from pre-grouping right through until the mid-60s.

Assuming that Dapol wanted to add an LNER shunter to their range, the J72 is an obvious choice.

At the moment, we are assuming it is an error but we won't know for sure until the models arrive or Farish corrects the website.

E&OE

However, these two Class 37/4 models are already available, or unless a second batch is due

It seems an odd choice with no obvious reason behind it. The J72 has never come anywhere near the top of any wishlist polls (I went back through the last 3 years of results and it never hit the top 25 as far as I can see). I suppose it has a certain "strategic fit" in that Dapol do a range of larger LNER locos as well as Gresley coaches, it allows them to offer a complete range. The J72 was handy in that it never underwent any particular modifications meaning the same basic loco is suitable from pre-grouping right through until the mid-60s.

Assuming that Dapol wanted to add an LNER shunter to their range, the J72 is an obvious choice.

The poll results sum up my thinking exactly, the J72 has never really featured in the N polls. Had Dapol wanted the obvious choice it would have been the GNR J23/LNER J50 as it has featured fairly consistently in the wishlists results. Yes there are detail differences in the J50, but since when has Dapol shied away from that? This would also have been the safe choice given that it wasn't in the 00 range ready to be shrunk down by a competitor who openly states that they want to reproduce swathes of their 00 range in N. Bach/Far have every reason to announce a model which while not particularly sought for in wishlist polls does have historical significance to them and their manufacturing base. Dapol however had a few good reasons to avoid it (Bachmanns 00 model and poor wishlist polling) and go for something that is more sought after, and which serves them same purpose. Dapols announcement struck me as a poke in the eye at the time, and it still does now...but I digress.

The Farish website has done away with DCC Ready, it now shows them as DCC On Board (a decoder is fitted)

It did for while but doesn't now. The symbol is for models fitted with a 6 pin DCC socket which means dcc ready not that they have 'DCC on board'.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Unlike some, I don't regard the sound-fitted DMU as being trainset material. I  quite fancy getting one (would be my first foray into DCC) but is the sound any good? The characteristic of 1st generation (Modernisation Plan) DMUs was the constant gearchanges. Can that be reproduced properly by the soundchip?

It did for while but doesn't now. The symbol is for models fitted with a 6 pin DCC socket which means dcc ready not that they have 'DCC on board'

That's better, I already have several of the 37/0 and 47/4 that are both PCB and 6DCC

I can now get on and order the remaining 37/4 (as stocks seem to be nil with some retailers now)

The poll results sum up my thinking exactly, the J72 has never really featured in the N polls. Had Dapol wanted the obvious choice it would have been the GNR J23/LNER J50 as it has featured fairly consistently in the wishlists results. Yes there are detail differences in the J50, but since when has Dapol shied away from that? This would also have been the safe choice given that it wasn't in the 00 range ready to be shrunk down by a competitor who openly states that they want to reproduce swathes of their 00 range in N. Bach/Far have every reason to announce a model which while not particularly sought for in wishlist polls does have historical significance to them and their manufacturing base. Dapol however had a few good reasons to avoid it (Bachmanns 00 model and poor wishlist polling) and go for something that is more sought after, and which serves them same purpose. Dapols announcement struck me as a poke in the eye at the time, and it still does now...but I digress.

Of note is that Dapol didn't announce the J72 until AFTER Bachmann had decided not to announce it last year.  Coupled to Graham Hubbard's comments about not doing NER (admittedly as a response to being pestered about a Q6) it probably looked a good bet.  Indeed I think the only reason that nobody else has done a J72 in OO is that there probably isn't a retailer in the North East with deep enough pockets to commission one.  Now if Hattons or Kernow had been based in Newcastle upon Tyne.....

As a native of NER territory I welcomed Dapol's J72 at the time, and still think it was a good choice. 

All the very best

Les

The bullied 3-set is a must purchase for me but that's about it - Its probably the N-gauge version of the previously released Modelzone 3-set in OO that appeared about 4 - 5 years ago. Set s796 IIRC.

Good to see the class 40 finally scaled down (no split headcode though) but still no bloomin 2EPB.

Steve 

The bullied 3-set is a must purchase for me but that's about it - Its probably the N-gauge version of the previously released Modelzone 3-set in OO that appeared about 4 - 5 years ago. Set s796 IIRC.

Good to see the class 40 finally scaled down (no split headcode though) but still no bloomin 2EPB.

Steve 

It's better not be 796 - that was a BRCW-built set - unless they've got new tools for those design coaches...

Archived