Who wants a newly tooled Class 91?

DaveClass47

The Class 91 poll  

255 members have voted

1. 1. Are you content with the level of detail on the current tooled Hornby Class 91 locomotive and MK4 DVT?

2. 2. What features would you like to see on a retooled Class 91 and MK4 DVT 00 gauge locomotive?

• Full DCC motor to modern standards (in the Class 91 Locomotive)
    • Super detail body shell with etched grilles, flush glazing etc
    • Retooled Bogies
    • Working Head and Tail lights
    • Working Pantograph
    • Detailed interiors
    • NEM Close couplers
    • Sprung opening cab doors
    • Sprung buffers
    • Options within the tooling for sound fitting
  3. 3. Would you be interested in adding a Class 91 to your layout?

• Yes, the current model is fine for me
    • Yes, but only if its re-tooled as the current model is out dated.
    • No, I am not interested in this model.
  4. 4. What liveries would you like to see a newly re tooled Hornby Class 91, Mk4 rolling stock and MK4 DVT released in?

• Original Intercity Swallow Livery
    • GNER
    • National Express East Coast
    • East Coast Trains (currently released by Hornby - 2015 Catalog)
    • New Virgin East Coast
    • None
  5. 5. What other Electric locomotives do you have on your layout?

• Hornby Class 91 (current tooling)
    • Hornby Class 90
    • Bachmann Class 85
    • Heljan Class 86
    • Hornby (Ex lima) Class 87
    • The New Bachmann Class 90 (tick if you have a pre order for this item or intend to purchase - due for release in 2015))
    • none

I ended up thinking the same thing after pondering that price tag for a while, being similar money to the excellent HST power cars, then that pack would have to be of comparable quality. I just cant see how the railroad Class 91 + DVT could possibly justify that price tag otherwise. If it really is the old one then it'll be ending up in the Black Friday bargain bin next year for an awful lot less than £210 because I just cant see it selling for that price.

..... but I wouldn't expect new tooling and only one catalogue release either. If Warley is going to bring a Class 91, I wouldn't have expected the East Coast pack to be announced today

Hi, I have to agree with what you're saying....I am starting to doubt if the new 91 is on the way this year... SIGH.

However, he is one thought to justify the price tag......the train pack includes some Virgin Liveried MK4 coaches??   Say two or three coaches will justify the 209 price tag.   Remember they did this with the flying scotsman 91 pack!   What do you think?

The prices are listed below. This is just speculation

Class 91 - £89.99

Mk.4 DVT - £28.49

2 Mk.4's - £56.98...

Then that brings it's grand total to about £175.xx.

It could be the older tooling. But I highly doubt a price rise of about £34 could be in existence for a train pack that includes a cheapo loco and DVT and similar standard coaches. I mean looking at Hornby prices for these, they've clearly reached a limit. How many will buy a Class 91 that's going to go over £100.00? And how many will actually buy a DVT and a coach of such inferior quality if it goes above £32.00?

What can actually justify new tooling is this:-

Currently the Mk3 DVT retails for £56.75 (the Mk.4 DVT will be similar if re-tooled).

That leaves about £153.xx left. That's the exactly price most super detail locos are hovering about at the moment.

You can use the forthcoming Hornby Class 71 as a comparison. It is priced at £149.99. Very similar to the Class 91 - both are Bo-Bo, both have a single pantograph, both have 2 cabs, interior electricals on the model will be similar. etc.

Just saying. Nothing concrete, but something simple to vouch for a re-tool.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1

Hi, I have to agree with what you're saying....I am starting to doubt if the new 91 is on the way this year... SIGH.

However, he is one thought to justify the price tag......the train pack includes some Virgin Liveried MK4 coaches??   Say two or three coaches will justify the 209 price tag.   Remember they did this with the flying scotsman 91 pack!   What do you think?

the picture did only show the Class 91 and DVT ... if they could mock that up and always intended including coaches I'd have thought there would have been a mention of them in the text or them being shown in the picture

its a bit of a puzzle

The Mk4 DVT RRP must be an awful lot lower RRP than the Mk3 ... far older tooling, far less detail, no directional lights and I'd suspect far less separate components/parts

The Mk4 DVT RRP must be an awful lot lower RRP than the Mk3 ... far older tooling, far less detail, no directional lights and I'd suspect far less separate components/parts

Currently the Mk3 DVT retails for £56.75

Mk.4 DVT costing £28.49

I quoted the prices in my post above! The Mk4 DVT is £28.26 cheaper than the Mk3 DVT.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

I quoted the prices in my post above! The Mk4 DVT is £28.26 cheaper than the Mk3 DVT.

Sorry so you did ... I just noticed the 'Currently the Mk3 DVT retails for £56.75 (the Mk.4 DVT will be similar).' and thought you meant the current Mk4 not a re-tooled one! I hadn't seen you included the RRP above it

Sorry so you did ... I just noticed the 'Currently the Mk3 DVT retails for £56.75 (the Mk.4 DVT will be similar).' and thought you meant the current Mk4 not a re-tooled one! I hadn't seen you included the RRP above it

No issues, I shall edit my post to make it more understandable. It does seem too packed.

maybe one for Hornbys N gauge arm.....Arnold?   also possible in N gauge an APT-P because these long trains are so much more suited to the smaller scale.  Nothing more offputting than a 4 or coach train mascarading as a 10 coacher+ express. 

Id say it would be 50/50 between Arnold and Rapido.

• Like 1

Anyone considered the price may just be an error on the website?

they might be basing that on a wrong Hornby price too minus a standard percentage

With all the people that have asked about that price (including myself), I bet Hornby would be aware of it. It's been asked directly on their website by a fellow RMwebber too. It's been asked on facebook and twitter.

I'm sure if it was a mistake Hornby would have been aware by now

UTTER DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!

I was actually expecting a re-tooled Class 91. What was I thinking??

Anyway as many have now stated, R3501 VTEC Class 91 + DVT pack is actually coming with 2 Mk4 coaches. Nonetheless I am not buying the train pack.

If you go by 2015 prices then you'll have the following:-

- Class 91 £89.99

- Mk.4 DVT £28.49

- Mk.4 coach £28.49

- Mk.4 coach £28.49

-----------------------------

£175.46

-----------------------------

This means that this year the train pack is an extra £34.53 this year. That's a bit silly... The only disappointing thing about this year's announcement is this train pack. 

• RMweb Premium

Also can't understand why they are introducing what would surely be a very popular livery for many years as a limited edition of 1000. Surely this could have been a main range trainset for many years, earning them even more money over the years. Perplexing

Also can't understand why they are introducing what would surely be a very popular livery for many years as a limited edition of 1000. Surely this could have been a main range trainset for many years, earning them even more money over the years. Perplexing

Or just re-tool it and sell it as a train pack (worth £209.99 then IMHO).....something to modern standards. Sadly because Hornby are obsessed with steam, now they seem to be doing what others are doing. This leads to closed-minds blaming Hornby for duplication.

See if only Hornby did modern era stuff more often!

Edited by MGR Hooper!

Nothing to stop them releasing another set (or individual locos/DVTs/coaches) in future with different running numbers is there? Personally, I don't like the standard version of the Virgin East Coast livery on the locos, the 91s and 43s have worn far better schemes.

• RMweb Premium

Nothing to stop them releasing another set (or individual locos/DVTs/coaches) in future with different running numbers is there? Personally, I don't like the standard version of the Virgin East Coast livery on the locos, the 91s and 43s have worn far better schemes.

I think the Virgin East Coast is one of the best modern liveries around. I'd feel cheated if a subsequent version appeared with just a change in numbers . But I've long since stopped buying modern image as the rate of change is so great these days that they are often out of date as released (the previous East Coast version had very limited life).

But really this is a Railroad Model with a fancy paint job. No way can it command a price like that.Like the real thing, Hornby are taking us for a ride on this one.

Most of the prototype IC225 sets will be gone within a few years, at least in VTEC livery. The few that are being kept, won't be around for much longer than a few more years after that. So the potential for longevity of this pack being sold as a train set, is probably quite limited IMHO.

Why the limited production run?

Perhaps it's part of the licensing agreement with VTEC?

Perhaps it will help guarantee selling the complete production batch in a relatively short timescale?

Limited available production slots?

Or could past experience suggest the demand will not be that great and they are testing the waters with reduced quantities?

Perhaps it will help guarantee selling the complete production batch in a relatively short timescale?

Or could past experience suggest the demand will not be that great and they are testing the waters with reduced quantities?

Ahhh well at that price, I'll be surprised if they sold any....

• RMweb Premium

Most of the prototype IC225 sets will be gone within a few years, at least in VTEC livery. The few that are being kept, won't be around for much longer than a few more years after that. So the potential for longevity of this pack being sold as a train set, is probably quite limited IMHO.

Why the limited production run?

Perhaps it's part of the licensing agreement with VTEC?

There's still at least 5 years ahead of them. You could also argue that the shorter rakes that will stay with VTEC will be more attractive to the modeller. But besides that the VTEC HST and Mk3 coaches , which they've also announced,are not limited edition. These HSTs presumably also have a short life time.Sorry but coupled with the selling price even if it includes 2 mk4s this is just barking! Edited by Legend

Or just re-tool it and sell it as a train pack (worth £209.99 then IMHO).....something to modern standards. Sadly because Hornby are obsessed with steam, now they seem to be doing what others are doing. This leads to closed-minds blaming Hornby for duplication.

See if only Hornby did modern era stuff more often!

Hornby obsessed by steam? Perfectly right and proper; so am I. I also have a thing about diesel and a love of electric. That's not to mention a hankering for turbines and a weakness for modern wagons.

• Like 1