The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium

Last year wasn't exactly a sparkling success. I think you will see a series of announcements on Engine Shed . The announcement if there is one will only be reliveries . Hopefully we will have a proper catalogue this year. As long as we don't go back to these ridiculous embargoes

• Like 1

Last year wasn't exactly a sparkling success.

I'm not sure why you say that. There was considerable excitement around Hornby's 2016 line up. It didn't all happen all at once and several of those items had been announced earlier, but Hornby successfully got the word out about what their programme would be.

Given their financial straits, some of these items moved into 2017. I think that's understandable.

There doesn't have to be a "ta da" event.  I think you are right in terms of a series of announcements on the "The Engine Shed" blog.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure why you say that. There was considerable excitement around Hornby's 2016 line up. It didn't all happen all at once and several of those items had been announced earlier, but Hornby successfully got the word out about what their programme would be.

Given their financial straits, some of these items moved into 2017. I think that's understandable.

There doesn't have to be a "ta da" event. I think you are right in terms of a series of announcements on the "The Engine Shed" blog.

The Year Book was a good idea poorly executed, because it really didn't contain enough detail of the range. The will there or won't there be a catalogue . Then when it came out it was going to be free then £3 . Shops didn't have any order forms and didn't really have anything to order. If I remember correctly there were lots of clarifications over what actually had been announced. Not coincidentally Hornby reported a large drop in orders in the post Christmas period. Probably because people didn't know what to order.

So overall I say that's why not a great success

On the other hand I do like the Engine Shed method of announcing new products, particularly if given the odd hint etc. I like the direct channel to their customers and the fact they are listening as evidenced by their B12 feedback in latest Engineshed. And in danger of attracting Andys broken record response , the ending of the ridiculous embargo that really only assisted certain magazines . It seemed that half the customers knew what was announced, half didn't but all were banned talking about it.

So let's have more Engineshed announcements backed up with a proper catalogue.

Edited by Legend

My suspicion is we'all see another announcement in the Engine Shed followed by a "wow" type moment at Warley. For the reasons set out above, I don't think we'll see a repeat of tbs Year Book/catalogue saga.

Like it or not, Warley has become arguably the largest and highest profile event in the exhibition calendar. Hornby, particularly the new CEO, will be wanting to make a statement to say "we've been through tough times and are now moving forward again hence we're delightsd to be announcing X (insert shiny object of choice)" coupled to a "look at our progress" - e.g. A sample of the merchant navy and production versions of the peckett,b12 and the latest on the H class.

He'll also be conscious of the PR issues of the catalogue and if he's smart, he'll make sure they have a clear communication plan that's been fully tested...

• RMweb Premium

Last year's announcement for 2016 was the SR Merchant Navy, LNER B12, NER Q6, Peckett, and the SR class 71; in coaches GWR Collett corridor stock (announced earlier, but nevertheless was still part of the 2016 package) and the lovely LBSC Maunsell 58' stock; and the LMS coke wagon and SR cattle wagon. At least half of these are already with us, with others due soon.

If their 2017 announcement is anything like as good as this, many of us will be very happy indeed!

John

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

As we are on a GWR theme,how about a retooled Saint ? Pure indulgence because I remember the last few working in South Wales in the late 40's and early 50's.The last was 2920 Saint David which spent its final years at Hereford (85 C).Frequently worked Hereford-Cardiff stoppers.

Last year wasn't exactly a sparkling success. I think you will see a series of announcements on Engine Shed . The announcement if there is one will only be reliveries . Hopefully we will have a proper catalogue this year. As long as we don't go back to these ridiculous embargoes

You can't embargo something you don't tell anyone about! (CJL)

I'm thinking retooled Class 86 and Class 87 models, based as both were previously in the Hornby range and are very dated and when DJ Models started a crowdfunding interest for either he stated that Chinese manufacturing sources had advised him that 2 other businesses were in advanced development of both ohe types. I'm thinking the other business is Oxford, to provide traction for their loco hauled Mk 3 coaches.

• Like 2

I'm thinking Duchess or modified Merchant Navy...

Although there weren't many of them I think the Princess Royal is quite popular, and is more in need of a retool than the Duchess. We have seem the Duchess fairly recently, but the PR hasn't been done for a few years. I think the modified MN is possibility though.