The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

Lets see..

Saint Class -> none preserved but Didcot is busy converting a Hall into one. Fits the re-engineered part but not the photo (Hmm... that is what Hornby did last time!)

71 to 74 -> I feel the 2017 program already has plenty of Southern, does not fit the photo

New 92 -> ehmm... plenty of southern....... does not fit the photo

86,87 --> been rumored that someone is going to do them but does not fit the photo

91 with a decent set of Mk 4s --> they should do so, but does not fit the photo

mk 3s to upset Oxford! but does not fit the photo

Peckett as a Crane tank -- certainly re-engineered, does it fit the photo?

J36 -- fits the photo but not re-engineered

APT-P --> fits the re-engineered but not the photo.

Manor class -> yep possible by re-engineering a Grange and might even fit the photo

• RMweb Premium

Ah well - this announcement caught us all by surprise! The other thing I pick up is their comment that "that Warley is not too far away, as is our complete 2017 range launch". So we can expect to know Hornby's 2017 programme in 3 weeks time. Excellent!

John

I wondered what had happened to the old model. Personally not my cup of tea as I already have the old model but of course it will make a great budget alternative to the fully detailed one.

However I don't see the link with the twitter photo, so another surprise in store yet to come?

That MN is looking lovely glad I ordered 3 (each different) and look to see what post re-sighting valves forwards engine they will do that the tooling allows for but none of the 4 known subjects match.

Speaking of which, at the start I thought Holland Africa line would look best in blue like the Wrenn one. Turns out she never carried blue!

• RMweb Premium

No to all of the above.It's a retooled Railroad B17 "Liverpool" with new chassis / loco drive folks.

Oh well !   A wee bit of a disappointment to be honest, but then they did say it was a retool.   

I think this does show the confusion of Hornby.  Why do you want a B17 in the Railroad range?   If dedicated enthusiast wouldn't you go for the main range one. Why do you need , and go the the expense ,of retooling a B17 for the Railroad Range while you already have a main range one?   Is it that there are lots of people thinking the main range one is just too expensive and that they can only go for Railroad one?  I get Flying Scotsman, Mallard and Tornado all in Railroad range , but how many kids will say I really need a B17?

Really confused at the strategy here

Bit of an anticlimax there but yes the Merchant Navys look gorgeous! I was going to get Channel Packet, but I think after looking at them both I prefer the way the lettering and numbering is applied on Royal Mail. I'll probably end up with both anyway in the future :P

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 1

The RRP of the 'full fat' version is now a whooping £159.99. A railroad version is still a high £84.99. Which will find more homes? Markets/Brexit etc are unpredictable - model costs are set to rise. Hornby are after low and high-end markets. 

The MN looks like its coming along nicely!

As for the B17, Hattons still have Gilwell Park and Serlby Hall for £74 and £79 respectively, ok they're in early BR green rather than LNER green, but if you want an inexpensive B17.....

A Railroad "Liverpool" won't be gracing MY layout.  Around here the annual Santa Dash features some wearing blue rather than red, for certain reasons.

(Perhaps Hornby will include alternative name and number stickers as of yore?)

• Like 1

I’m going to buck the emerging trend here. Placing heavy emphasis on the comparative prices, I think Hornby has done well with this. The Engine Shed doesn’t specifically say that there will be no traction tyres but it seems to hint at that. The old model has been brought up to date mechanically and I dare say that many people will be attracted by the price. I don’t usually go for Railroad stuff but even so, I might be tempted.

Three-pole skew-wound motor? I hope Hornby has sourced a supply of consistently good ones.

Why on earth are Hornby about to produce a Railroad B17 when the "Full Fat" version is a slow seller???? Although an absolutely superb model, they don't sell in great numbers, as evidenced by Hatton's and the two variants they still have in stock in large quantities. The only saving grace are the imminent release of the B12 and 2017 Merchant Navy.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

Why are Hornby about to produce a Railroad B17 when the "Full Fat" version is a slow seller. Although an absolutely superb model, they don't sell in great numbers, as evidenced by Hatton's and the two variants they still have in stock in large quantities. ...

Perhaps you've answered your own question?

The current full-fat, full-price version may be a slow seller. Perhaps a new Railroad standard model at about half the price will sell better?

Lots of people keep complaining about prices. Well, here's your chance to get something massively cheaper. Let's see if people want cheaper, lower-detailed stuff, or higher-priced, hi fi stuff.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh well !   A wee bit of a disappointment to be honest, but then they did say it was a retool.   

I think this does show the confusion of Hornby.  Why do you want a B17 in the Railroad range?   If dedicated enthusiast wouldn't you go for the main range one. Why do you need , and go the the expense ,of retooling a B17 for the Railroad Range while you already have a main range one?   Is it that there are lots of people thinking the main range one is just too expensive and that they can only go for Railroad one?  I get Flying Scotsman, Mallard and Tornado all in Railroad range , but how many kids will say I really need a B17?

Really confused at the strategy here

Really It's blindingly obvious, What are boys interested in most? Football. Here is the chance to provide little Johnny with something that He'll identify with and show his friends. If it was me I would have a range of teams available and include a football shirt as well, maybe even turn up at the stadiums with a circle of track in the back of a van. And that's why it's in the RAILROAD range, Price and robustness.