The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. This would give bang-up-to-date 21st century tooling versions of all of the big four and BR's express passenger locos (sans some of the esoteric LNER Thompson pacifics):

LNER

Peppercorn A1 - Bachmann

Peppercorn A2 - Bachmann

A3 - Hornby 

A4 - Hornby 

LMS

Coronation - Hornby (pending release)

Princess Royal - Hornby (though getting on a bit now - perhaps the weak link of this entire list?)

Royal Scot - Hornby

Patriot - Hornby

Jubilee - Bachmann

GWR

King - Hornby

Castle - Hornby 

Star - Hornby 

SR

Rebuilt and unrebuilt Merchant Navy - Hornby

Rebuit and unrebuilt BoB/WC - Hornby

King Arthur - Hornby

Lord Nelson - .... Hornby (?!)

BR

Britannia - Hornby

Clan - Hornby (held up by many as one of the finest RTR releases of all time, but rumors abound that the tooling is now lost to Hornby(?)

Duke of Gloucester - Hornby (Railroad, but not a bad bit of kit?)

Not a lot of low-hanging fruit for the RTR boys going forwards then; you'd think someone - likely Hornby - would refresh the LMS Princes Royal, and then that's the lot really...

CoY

Edited to add the BR Clan after its absence was pointed out by JSpencer. 

There are plenty of Pacifics yet to be covered; all of them LNER and none of them pretty. :jester:  

John

• Like 1

Must admit intrigued as to all the speculation as to what’s on the cover. I only gave it a cursory glance but isn’t it a Coronation Pacific, which would kinda fit as they are just bringing one out.

The frosted out picture of the 2018 catalogue is fully visible in the Collectors club update. Someone at Hornby have made a boo boo ! Bit like Volvo with the new XC40, the latter was leaked in a Hungarian motoring magazine before the company officially launched the vehicle.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for writing all that - really interesting.

I'm curious about what you include and what you don't. At first I thought you'd just listed Pacifics, but of course that doesn't work for the GWR. So why no B17, for example? Or, come to think of it, Schools? Or lovely Clauds?

Though I'd still agree with your conclusion that there's not a lot of low-hanging fruit left.

Paul

There are in fact four more IMHO that "need attention" :yes:  Firstly the Princess Royal needs a revamp. Then the Hawksworth County  a retooled Manor.And of course a GWR/WR Saint .Though wait a minute...a B16? :O

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. This would give bang-up-to-date 21st century tooling versions of all of the big four and BR's express passenger locos (sans some of the esoteric LNER Thompson pacifics):

LNER

Peppercorn A1 - Bachmann

Peppercorn A2 - Bachmann

A3 - Hornby 

A4 - Hornby 

LMS

Princess Royal - Hornby (though getting on a bit now - perhaps the weak link of this entire list?)

Royal Scot - Hornby

Patriot - Hornby

Jubilee - Bachmann

GWR

King - Hornby

Castle - Hornby 

Star - Hornby 

SR

Rebuilt and unrebuilt BoB/WC - Hornby

King Arthur - Hornby

BR

Britannia - Hornby

Clan - Hornby (held up by many as one of the finest RTR releases of all time, but rumors abound that the tooling is now lost to Hornby(?)

Not a lot of low-hanging fruit for the RTR boys going forwards then; you'd think someone - likely Hornby - would refresh the LMS Princes Royal, and then that's the lot really...

CoY

Someone's managed to slip a dirty word or two past the moderator's  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

LMS turbomotive rebuild, a sort of Princess/Duchess hybrid

I doubt that a locomotive that was in service for only six weeks in 1952 and is associated with one of the most terrible accidents on British railways will really hold much appeal.

• RMweb Gold

I doubt that a locomotive that was in service for only six weeks in 1952 and is associated with one of the most terrible accidents on British railways will really hold much appeal.

True, but it was an awfully handsome loco while it lasted.

John

• Like 1

It's on my radar. I've already got the nameplates and most of the parts in stock. It's really just a Princess with Duchess parts. Probably one of the handsomest locomotives ever built.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/00-0-a-46202-copyright-LYRPT.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/7708868532

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile there’s that SR Unit in the bay platform of the Collector magazine in the image just above it.... Hastings unit ?

That SR unit looks like either a 2-EPB or 2H as produced by Bachmann. It looks like someone's layout so no reason why other manufacturers products mightn't make an appearance.

Until the painting of the LN was posted to compare with the blurred catalogue cover, I did wonder if the BIG announcement would be a streamlined Duchess. But I suppose that's probably too soon and is more likely for 2019 or 2020.

Edited by brushman47544

LNER

Peppercorn A1 - Bachmann

Peppercorn A2 - Bachmann

A3 - Hornby 

A4 - Hornby 

LMS

Royal Scot - Hornby

Patriot - Hornby

Jubilee - Bachmann

GWR

King - Hornby

Castle - Hornby 

Star - Hornby 

SR

Rebuit and unrebuilt BoB/WC - Hornby

King Arthur - Hornby

BR

Britannia - Hornby

CoY

Thanks for writing all that - really interesting.

I'm curious about what you include and what you don't. At first I thought you'd just listed Pacifics, but of course that doesn't work for the GWR. So why no B17, for example? Or, come to think of it, Schools? Or lovely Clauds?

Though I'd still agree with your conclusion that there's not a lot of low-hanging fruit left.

Paul

There are plenty of Pacifics yet to be covered; all of them LNER and none of them pretty. :jester:  

John

There are in fact four more IMHO that "need attention" :yes:  Firstly the Princess Royal needs a revamp. Then the Hawksworth County  a retooled Manor.And of course a GWR/WR Saint .Though wait a minute...a B16? :O

More yet, and these are much prettier:

LMS turbomotive.

LMS turbomotive rebuild, a sort of Princess/Duchess hybrid

LNER Mikado in final streamlined form.

LNER W1, water tube boiler and conventional boiler rebuild

Perhaps I ought to have been more specific in my definition of express passenger locos and provide more rationale for my list. However, upon further thought this is difficult, as for example my list is not solely 7P & 8P power classifications, given that King Arthur's were only 5P, Jubilee's 6P. My definition of 'express passenger' for the purposes of my post is probably as follows:

Express Passenger (not Mixed Traffic - such as GWR Countys, Halls, Granges and Saints, LNER V2's and not 'Passenger' locos that were given over to the secondary routes; e.g. the GWR Manor, LNER B16, B17, and Claudes, LMS Compounds, SR Schools and T9's) locos that could be found in the period roughly 1930 - 1960 on the principle expresses of the Big 4 and BR, which were mainly (but not exclusively) from the London termini to the principle stations on each region (LNER: the ECML and Edinburgh, Newcastle, York, Leeds, LMS: the WCML and Manchester, Liverpool and Glasgow, GWR: Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham, Plymouth. SR: Southampton, Bournemouth, Dover, Brighton). These Express Passenger locos were the engines of choice for the PR departments, and would be liable to be found in the promotional literature of the age: Railway Posters, cigarette cards, Hornby Dublo catalogue covers, jigsaws etc!

The rationale for my list is as follows:

Locos that, again, could be found on the principle expresses of the 1930 - 1960 era, and that all made it into BR colours. Moreover, 'one off' esoteric prototypes are not really going to make it into the list, given the comparative shortness of their lives before right-off, rebuilding or withdrawal due to their 'non-standard' nature (LMS Turbomotive, LNER P2 and W1, GWR Great Bear, LNER Thompson Pacifics*). Appreciate I've shot myself in the foot by including BR's Duke of Gloucester, but what did it for her is the fact that she made it into preservation, I suppose.

In sum, it is obviously difficult to set too specific a barrier to what makes into a list of 'principle' Express Passenger loco of the Big 4 and BR, but I've had a stab and I wouldn't be surprised if that's not too far away from how the R&D teams of the RTR boys see it. 

*I suppose a case could be made for the LNER Thomposn A2/3 pacific, given that there were 15 in the class and the last went in 1965 - the others were either built in small numbers or were withdrawn by 1960/61. 

CoY

Until the painting of the LN was posted to compare with the blurred catalogue cover, I did wonder if the BIG announcement would be a streamlined Duchess. But I suppose that's probably too soon and is more likely for 2018 or 2019.

2018 isn't that far...I think you meant 2019-2020

Express Passenger (not Mixed Traffic - such as GWR Countys, Halls, Granges and Saints, LNER V2's and not 'Passenger' locos that were given over to the secondary routes; e.g. the GWR Manor, LNER B16, B17, and Claudes, LMS Compounds, SR Schools and T9's) locos that could be found in the period roughly 1930 - 1960 on the principle expresses of the Big 4 and BR, which were mainly (but not exclusively) from the London termini to the principle stations on each region (LNER: the ECML and Edinburgh, Newcastle, York, Leeds, LMS: the WCML and Manchester, Liverpool and Glasgow, GWR: Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham, Plymouth. SR: Southampton, Bournemouth, Dover, Brighton). 

Following your rationale (which seems sensible to me, though I might quibble about what is or is not a secondary route - Norwich on the GEML (sic), for instance), I'm mystified why you don't think the Schools exactly fits? You could make a case for the T9, too.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Following your rationale (which seems sensible to me, though I might quibble about what is or is not a secondary route - Norwich on the GEML (sic), for instance), I'm mystified why you don't think the Schools exactly fits? You could make a case for the T9, too.

Paul

Quite so

I would hardly dismiss London - Portsmouth or London - Hastings as 'secondary routes'.

People need to lumberer that the majority of destinations on the Southern railways radial routes were not exactly far from London and simply did not need massive pacific locomotives found on the LNER / LMS lines to the North East / North West / Scotland.

A similar situation is also true of the GE section of the LNER - the main line to Norwich is certainly not a 'secondary route' by any yardstick.

• RMweb Premium

I think you are seeing a change from Hornby . Last year it was Coronation , 87 and IET , so big hitters. I think that's a response to dwindling returns on making things like J15s and K1s which have been selling at big discounts and have clearly not been selling , at least 2nd and third batches. This year one of the releases is rumoured to be a Lord Nelson. I think we are seeing Hornby return to big namers.

Hope they still have space for my Caley blue 812 though. Lovely wee blue engine, lots of livery options through to late BR Period. Just saying like.......

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

I think you are seeing a change from Hornby . Last year it was Coronation , 87 and IET , so big hitters. I think that's a response to dwindling returns on making things like J15s and K1s which have been selling at big discounts and have clearly not been selling , at least 2nd and third batches. This year one of the releases is rumoured to be a Lord Nelson. I think we are seeing Hornby return to big namers.

Hope they still have space for my Caley blue 812 though. Lovely wee blue engine, lots of livery options through to late BR Period. Just saying like.......

Don't forget the H.

I think the Caley 812 will be in the catalogue, it's nice in a pre grouping livery and it's been preserved.  Wasn't there that clue that Paul Isles posted a while back which is almost certainly an 812?  The other steam loco announced will most likely be a big name though like you say.

I think Hornby's main problem is doing a re-release too soon.  The J15 did quite well but to release it again in the same livery before stocks were completely sold wasn't a wise move.  They are doing another King Class release this year when there are plenty left in stock at a discount at many major retailers.

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Gold

You are willing this one into existence.I think Hornby will realise your craving just to ensure you sleep at night :jester: Good luck.

• Like 3