Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

NEW Realtrack DMU

charliepetty

I was told a provincial (original livery) is being produced but not in first batch.

Slightly off topic but do Hurst Models still sell their under-frame kit? I seem to recall them always saying stock due soon but never actually happening?

Edited by sanspareil

With regards to the class 142, this is fantastic news. 

Im getting one of all three announced! To be honest, Charlie will be seeing an awful lot of my cash done on this model, as its one of my favourite types of train! Yeah... but when you start most journeys on one you soon get a massive spot spot for them. A question on the Skipper unit - will the 142 be in Brown and Cream with yellow doors as seen in picture, as that is 142026 which carried the livery like that up to about 1998 if memory served and then was painted into Northern Spirit, as that will give it best guise for being able to be used against other units, or will the model also have original folding doors? (Cant believe I've suddenly gone all 142 yellow door geeky over a model. Is that worse than rivit counting?)

A request in here too for 142020 to be done in Tyne and Wear Regional Railways on the next batch.

I'm also interested to know whether the Brown and Cream will be the earlier or later type doors and seating arrangements.

+1 for a 142020 in Tyne and Wear livery!

I was told a provincial (original livery) is being produced but not in first batch.

Slightly off topic but do Hurst Models still sell their under-frame kit? I seem to recall them always saying stock due soon but never actually happening?

Andrew Hurst hasn't produced anything for many years. The underframe kit is a holy grail many have been looking for for years! Nae chance! Wait for the massively superior RealTrack/Rapido offering and get selling all those old 156s!

Edited by gridwatcher

Andrew Hurst hasn't produced anything for many years. The underframe kit is a holy grail many have been looking for for years! Nae chance! Wait for the massively superior RealTrack/Rapido offering and get selling all those old 156s!

I can't comment on what Andrew's circumstances are.  I can say that I had the underframe kits on order with him for ~3 years and suddenly without any warning 4 appeared in the post one day.  This was a few years back so can't comment on more recent activity.

Of course there may be more availability of underframe kits on the second hand market now with RealTrack's announcement.  Only 1 of my 4 kits ever made it to a Lima model with the others still waiting the workshop... I may not bother now depending just how good the Realtrack option is and how bad or otherwise the Lima's look beside them!

Regarding the inner ends some units had horizontal grooves and some didn't. Not sure why there was that change made.

There is a very good site about 156s http://dysgraphyk.madasafish.com/156/class156_contents.htm but even there I can't find any info about the change.

I agree that the raised cab side window moulding looks to heavy and square, on the Lima/ Hornby 156 it is less heavy and has slightly rounded inner and outer corners, three more things don't look quite right, the seam on the cab roof between where the roof ribs finish and the cantrail looks too heavy, on the real thing and on the Lima/Hornby one it is hardly noticeable .

The snowplough looks too thick, it looks like the one on the Hornby class 153, if you compare it to a Bachmann class 150 snowplough that is moulded in very thin plastic that looks more to scale and accurate looking, also on the Dapol and Lima/Hornby class 156 the inner ends have Horizontal grooves, but on the artwork I cant see these grooves

I know this is only a 1st engineering prototype and things probably will be changed, and that it was laser scanned but these 4 things jump right out .

The Lima class 156 body was and still is very good considering it was tooled 29 years ago, it was the box underframe most people had issues with.

HI All

One cad image and one of the real thing , ive looked over it before it was painted to illustrate the liveries and looks good to me.

The paint will hide detail in areas so please dont judge on one pic.

Regards Charlie and Arran 

post-530-0-74089400-1480363251_thumb.jpg

post-530-0-29284400-1480363298_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered the ScotRail Abelio version - have i done this right .... I put the deposit in my basket - do i need to add the balance payments as well or will i be contacted when loco is ready for dispatch to pay the balance ??

Great job lads - looking forward to the Strathclyde one when its launched !!!!

Ben

Brilliant announcement Charlie & Arran, I had a brief look over the East Mids 156 on Saturday and although out of my main region, I'm rather tempted by a 'SpotRail' one too*

Very much looking to the 142 though. Can I put in a request to follow the Skipper & Northern liveries by a livery connecting the two - The First North Western / North Western Trains 'Gold Star' livery? Then I can happily add a few into the ever expanding fleet!

*I had to laugh when you announced 453 & 467 though, the last time I had those two as a pair on one of the West Highland services, 467 had an engine issue on one of the cars, 453s Horn became stuck on from just outside Helensburgh. I think FSR had had enough of it by then and terminated us at Dumbarton Central.

post-7515-0-63111600-1480376195_thumb.jpg

post-7515-0-06108400-1480376263_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Unfortunately I'll have to forego a Realtrack 156 when/if released in Central or Regional liveries. After last years planned announcement was delayed, I decided to bite the bullet and work on the Hornby Central liveried model I had. With no underframe kit appearing from Hurst models after several years on their list, I looked at what I could do with the underfloor lump and was able to get most of the components separated, by cutting them out from the moulding and adding to their depth with plasticard. The air cylinders, exhaust and drive components came from Hornby class 153 spare chassis obtained for about £4 each. It took about 2 weeks per car, but the transformation is considerable and seems to stand up well to the Rapido tooling. Having laboured to complete the 2 car unit I'm not going to chop it in now, as I'm pleased with the result. If I can build up sufficient enthusiasm, I'll repeat the exercise with a Regional version I have.

• Like 1

On this East midlands train painted sample it looks to have a slight gap between the grey of the roof and the coloured bodyside paint, as though the roof can be removed like it does on the Dapol and Lima/Hornby class 156, is this a one piece bodyshell or does the roof come off ?, if it does have a removable roof I can see this being an issue if they do the North west regional railways green stripe version as the all yellow front extended further up compared to other class 156 liveries and you would see a line between the joint of the roof and cab front.

The Class 156 is a One piece Bodyshell, please note all the models are hand decorated samples, not production ones which will have 64 different labels per car!  Charlie

Good to know that its a one piece bodyshell , I was put off at first thinking it had a removable roof, I was thinking it would be too similar to the Lima / Hornby bodyshell .

Hoping you will do these liveries eventually.

Northern rail current livery but with brandings.

Northwestern first Barbie livery, or with Northern branding.

Northwest regional railways green stripe livery with either Regional railways branding, unbranded or with First Northwestern blue branding.

Unfortunately I'll have to forego a Realtrack 156 when/if released in Central or Regional liveries. After last years planned announcement was delayed, I decided to bite the bullet and work on the Hornby Central liveried model I had. With no underframe kit appearing from Hurst models after several years on their list, I looked at what I could do with the underfloor lump and was able to get most of the components separated, by cutting them out from the moulding and adding to their depth with plasticard. The air cylinders, exhaust and drive components came from Hornby class 153 spare chassis obtained for about £4 each. It took about 2 weeks per car, but the transformation is considerable and seems to stand up well to the Rapido tooling. Having laboured to complete the 2 car unit I'm not going to chop it in now, as I'm pleased with the result. If I can build up sufficient enthusiasm, I'll repeat the exercise with a Regional version I have.

Pretty much what Ive done with my two, the detailing can be good enough if you put the time into doing it, then its just a case of getting rid of the awful Lima Motor

NL

The 156 Model has been developed by ourselves with Rapido, and fully funded by Realtrack in the UK.  We had no intentions of announcing this last year as we had not finished the designs and Cad's, the samples on show at the NEC are hand painted models based on running models from China.  Amendments to the Circuit board design is now taking place to add extra DCC options for the future.   A New thread has been started for the 156 & 142 Models, to keep discussions separate.     Charlie

• Like 1

The 156 Model has been developed by ourselves with Rapido, and fully funded by Realtrack in the UK.  We had no intentions of announcing this last year as we had not finished the designs and Cad's, the samples on show at the NEC are hand painted models based on running models from China.  Amendments to the Circuit board design is now taking place to add extra DCC options for the future.   A New thread has been started for the 156 & 142 Models, to keep discussions separate.     Charlie

Unfortunately I had come to the conclusion during early 2016, that the Rapido announcement of a new British outline model being scanned in Jan 2015  (RM web thread from Jan 2015) and yours (Realtracks) of a new dmu model (RM web thread from March 2015) were one and the same. The product development of both unspecific announcements, from postings made by Rapido and Realtrack were comparable, with Rapido confirming earlier this year that they were reviewing an ep of a British outline dmu.

The confusion that arose was that Rapido stated in one of its newsletters prior to Warley 2015, that its British outline model, 'being produced with a UK partner' would be announced at Warley 2015, which did not take place, due to development delays. Perhaps, now that the 156 and 142 have been announced by Realtrack, being designed and made by Rapido, you and Jason can clarify whether these two separate threads relate to the same model or not.

Either way, I judged that they were the same and that any possibility of a Class 156 being produced before the end of 2016 was unlikely, so decided to refresh my modelling skills.

Unfortunately I had come to the conclusion during early 2016, that the Rapido announcement of a new British outline model being scanned in Jan 2015  (RM web thread from Jan 2015) and yours (Realtracks) of a new dmu model (RM web thread from March 2015) were one and the same. The product development of both unspecific announcements, from postings made by Rapido and Realtrack were comparable, with Rapido confirming earlier this year that they were reviewing an ep of a British outline dmu.

The confusion that arose was that Rapido stated in one of its newsletters prior to Warley 2015, that its British outline model, 'being produced with a UK partner' would be announced at Warley 2015, which did not take place, due to development delays. Perhaps, now that the 156 and 142 have been announced by Realtrack, being designed and made by Rapido, you and Jason can clarify whether these two separate threads relate to the same model or not.

Either way, I judged that they were the same and that any possibility of a Class 156 being produced before the end of 2016 was unlikely, so decided to refresh my modelling skills.

We have no idea what Rapido are planning themselves, as we are not Rapido.   I suggest asking them on there thread about there own products.  We have never suggested an announcement 12 months ago, as we have been saving up NEWS until something is available that works, the 142 uses the same design of chassis based on our 143 / 144. This model is reasonably well advanced, but we have not suggest yet a actual delivery, we will show you samples this year.    All mentions of this will be on the 142 thread.  Charlie

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 1