RMweb

Split frames with a gearbox - how?

• RMweb Premium

I want to built a loco kit, my first for many years, with split frames but also using a gearbox. However, it seems impossible to do this as the gearbox will surely short between the frames. I am not worried about insulating the body from the frames, but do any RMWeb members have any suggestions as to how to insulate the metal gearbox from the frames?

Jonathan David

Yeah, there are two ways to do this. Either way will need to have the split in the split axle between the gearbox and the bearing (which is usually a very small space).

1) Isolate the gearbox. You'll need a three part split axle and two isolating washers to hold everything apart.

2) Have a live gearbox. Forget about isolating it from both sides and concentrate on doing it well on only one side. You'll have a little bit extra space this way. Position the gap in the axle right next to, but outside of, the gearbox bearing. Put a couple of paper washers on the axle to keep things from moving too much.

I did my GWR 850 the second way and it works pretty well. I'll try to find a picture that shows what I'm on about.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. I was going to use EMGS split axles but they have the split to one side of the centre, not close to the frame. It is possible to make one's own but I am not sure I have the tools.

A plastics gearbox is an interesting idea but I am not sure how long it would last - and I don't know where to course one. Thoughts?

The other course I had thought of, but which would mean some surgery, is to glue a rigid insulated sheet to the transverse piece of gearbox and then split the metal part itself to provide insulation - I know this is not clear. I can see it in my mind but don't know how to describe the parts.

Jonathan

A plastics gearbox is an interesting idea but I am not sure how long it would last - and I don't know where to course one. Thoughts?

Many of the Bachmann motor carriers/gearboxes are plastic mouldings. 

If you use one of the High level gearboxes that have extension pieces, the intermediate gears are plastic. If you fix the motor - gearbox assembly in the frames and leave out the extension piece then you should be able to arrange the insulation for the motor an gearbox. It will mean that you will have to make the adjustments for the meshing of the final drive gears, but that won't be too difficult.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. I was going to use EMGS split axles but they have the split to one side of the centre, not close to the frame. It is possible to make one's own but I am not sure I have the tools.

The other course I had thought of, but which would mean some surgery, is to glue a rigid insulated sheet to the transverse piece of gearbox and then split the metal part itself to provide insulation - I know this is not clear. I can see it in my mind but don't know how to describe the parts.

Jonathan

Branchlines, supply a 3 piece split axle kit, but getting all 3 bits in line, even using their jig is a right royal pain the ****

If you use one of the High level gearboxes that have extension pieces, the intermediate gears are plastic. If you fix the motor - gearbox assembly in the frames and leave out the extension piece then you should be able to arrange the insulation for the motor an gearbox. It will mean that you will have to make the adjustments for the meshing of the final drive gears, but that won't be too difficult.

Bill, could you do a sketch of how you see this please?

• RMweb Premium

Split axles are available from Branchlines, in both 1/8th and 2mm; I'm pretty sure that 2-part and 3-part axles are available, with the latter being for gearbox use to ensure electrical isolation.  They also sell a very nice machined perspex jig to aid axle assembly/gluing up.  This link is somewhat out of date but hopefully the contact details are still valid:

http://branchlines.blogspot.co.uk/

Not sure, but there's a reasonable chance they could be at ExpoEM in May.

HTH
polybear

• RMweb Premium

There is an article in the current Finescale Railway Modelling Review on making split (Romford) axles and pictures of a finished chassis.  This shows how the gearbox is insulated.

Mike

Indeed there is, it shows an excellent way of splitting Romford axles while retaining the self-quartering.  However it still doesn't answer the fundamental question, how/where do you split the driven axle?

It shows the two sides of the gearbox insulated from each other, but there is still a socking great brass gearwheel on the axle.  

And in a multistage gearbox like a Highlevel, you have steel cross-shafts bridging the gearbox sides, for the plastic gears to run on.

I'm still confused on that one!

Cheers,

Dave.

Jonathan

In EM gauge at least the split does work out as being close to the inside of the frames, at least it did for me...

I don't know how he does it, but John James of Liverpool is a professional builder who builds chassis with split axles - he refuses to build them any other way. He has built a High Level Hudswell Clark Coronation class for me with split axles and to say it's it's tight is an understatement, but he's done it. I will see if I can contact him and find out how he insulates the gearbox.

Phil

Thanks. That's very useful. I was intending to get a High Level gearbox but had not yet got around to working out which one will fit best.

RMWeb triumphs again.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I don't bother dropping into RMWeb very often, but the fact that this involved kit-building caught my eye.

This is a modified High Level gearbox that I built at the Spring Missenden, sitting on the Branchlines tree-part axle that it is intended to fit.  I'm not modelling Brunel's Great Endeavour, it's merely that the axle length hasn't been trimmed down from that which it emerged from the jig at.

post-3210-0-36802600-1428427024_thumb.jpg

post-3210-0-80637400-1428427069_thumb.jpg

The gearbox has been modified by cutting a slice out of the middle to reduce it in width.  It was joined back together by soldering to a piece of scrap nickel silver, which was trimmed to width when all was stout and square:

post-3210-0-75542300-1428427178_thumb.jpg

The gearbox will be held centrally by the use of fibre washers.  Ask me in a few days if it all works - I was cutting the axles to length yesterday ;-)

HTH

Flymo

Archived