Marcus 37

Can I feel a 2mm one coming on?? Although yours will want the general sector logos for the period your modelling. It's a nice celebrity to have as it turned up on all manner of Speedlink workings.

Could be on the cards. General logos though as you said. I'm not really a fan of celebrity locos on layouts but if I have spare funds later down the line then whyever not!

Hi Marcus & Anthony,

Great video, a nice variety of traction. I still have my old H&M and they just cut it for the modern loco's. you do get better control with DCC, though it will cost you a bit.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

When we built KoLW as it was built as DCC from the start so we just steadily built up the chipped loco fleet. Some were already done as Anthony's first train set was a Bachmann DCC Class 25 set. That was slowly built upon with new loco's being added including sound fitted 37417.

With PDW it will be a case of chipping about 50 loco's eventually. What I will probably do to start with is chip about 10 in one go which is affordable then slowly do the rest afterwards. Problem is now is which 10 to chip! Also there are several loco's on KoLW, mainly 37's that will be quite at home on PDW as well.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Could be on the cards. General logos though as you said. I'm not really a fan of celebrity locos on layouts but if I have spare funds later down the line then whyever not!

One good thing about 47145 it wasn't really a Molly coddled celebrity. It did look quite care worn most of the time so didn't really shout out "look at me" unlike other celebrity loco's I can think of.

Shall be looking forward to seeing that commence Paul.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus, if you have a look on my profile I have put a few blog entries on about my layout Speedlow and some of the stock I am slowly working on. I had the layout at my local show in Hazel Grove two weekends ago and although it is far from complete got a lot of good comments and questions both days and also got an invite to take it as is to The Model Show in Poynton Cheshire in early December.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

Thanks David

It's slowed down a bit again this week due to a full week with long jobs at work although I'm still adding the finishing touches to the bridge such as painting underneath the arches and adding some weathering to the stone work. I'm chomping at the bit to start on the station but I'm restraining myself to make sure I finish the bridge first.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Peter

When we built KoLW as it was built as DCC from the start so we just steadily built up the chipped loco fleet. Some were already done as Anthony's first train set was a Bachmann DCC Class 25 set. That was slowly built upon with new loco's being added including sound fitted 37417.

With PDW it will be a case of chipping about 50 loco's eventually. What I will probably do to start with is chip about 10 in one go which is affordable then slowly do the rest afterwards. Problem is now is which 10 to chip! Also there are several loco's on KoLW, mainly 37's that will be quite at home on PDW as well.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I started with a few chipped loco's them saved for some cheaper 8 pin ones from Gaugemaster to fit to my early Bachmann Heljan and class 31s. They have been good decoders so I haven't up graded them. I have a few sounds loco's too but won't be doing every loco. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Marcus,

I started with a few chipped loco's them saved for some cheaper 8 pin ones from Gaugemaster to fit to my early Bachmann Heljan and class 31s. They have been good decoders so I haven't up graded them. I have a few sounds loco's too but won't be doing every loco. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

I've noticed that Hattons do some reasonably priced decoders. If you buy 10 they are around the £100 pound mark so I'm thinking I will probably go for that. As you say if there are no problems you might as well stick with them. As for sound, I'm with you, we've got a couple but I wouldn't go out of my way to fit everything. For me personally, and I exaggerate personally, sound just doesn't do it for me for the price you pay for it. When you spend your working day round the real things they still sound like a tinny recording of the real thing no matter how good the chip. Unfortunately its not down to how good the chip is, it will always be down to speaker size and what can be accommodated within the loco.

This afternoon Ive got a pair 20's and on full chat the noise sets the whole body vibrating sending a tingle down the spine. If you could replicate that then I might be a bit more enthusiastic. 

I know I'm very lucky to play with the real thing, but unfortunately it just puts DCC sound into perspective for me.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Peter

I've noticed that Hattons do some reasonably priced decoders. If you buy 10 they are around the £100 pound mark so I'm thinking I will probably go for that. As you say if there are no problems you might as well stick with them. As for sound, I'm with you, we've got a couple but I wouldn't go out of my way to fit everything. For me personally, and I exaggerate personally, sound just doesn't do it for me for the price you pay for it. When you spend your working day round the real things they still sound like a tinny recording of the real thing no matter how good the chip. Unfortunately its not down to how good the chip is, it will always be down to speaker size and what can be accommodated within the loco.

This afternoon Ive got a pair 20's and on full chat the noise sets the whole body vibrating sending a tingle down the spine. If you could replicate that then I might be a bit more enthusiastic. 

I know I'm very lucky to play with the real thing, but unfortunately it just puts DCC sound into perspective for me.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus

I was going to suggest Hattons decoders as they are great value for money. Pretty much all my DCC locos have them fitted and I'm quite happy with their performance. I think they are made by DCC Concepts - the first batch I bought actually said DCC Concepts on them!

Really enjoying following your progress on Peak Dale Woods.

Cheers

Thanks Sam. That's nice to know that you've had no problems with them. Looks like the way forward.

Might go for it quicker than expected. It will certainly be easier to operate once it's DCC. Especially the quarry and the sidings / fuel point.

Cheers for the info mate.

All the best

Marcus

Thanks Paul

Just had an enjoyable half hour reading your blog. That looks like a neat looking layout. I especially like the flow to the track work.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus, glad you enjoyed reading the first few parts. I need to get my finger out and write the next few and bring the Speedlow story right up to date. Yes the flow of the track was something I wanted from the start plus the unusual baseboard shape that would hopefully complement the track layout. Interesting comments about the Hatton's decoders I have been wondering about getting some 8-pin older locos.

Cheers Paul

• Like 3

Hi Peter

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

As Sam and Neil mentioned the Hattons decoders are pretty good I have used them since the Gaugemaster ones are no longer available. I haven't tried the 21 pin ones yet though so might try one next time I need one.

I think some sound is better than others, my favourite is a class 25 but having more than one running just annoys me as you say still nothing like the real thing. I left the railway years ago but still remember very well the smell and sound of the diesels coming and going at Eastleigh. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Marcus, With you on the SOUND issue, the cheesy sounds of the diesel horns drives me mad, and the awful chuff chuff of the steam locos are no better, think l will stick with the sounds we have in our heads, plus they are a lot cheaper. hahaha

• Like 2

I was thinking today about how you could make the sound better. Then I thought it would be great if you could fit Bluetooth to a loco instead of a speaker. You could then transmit the sound and play through a decent audio system with proper speakers and get the bass sound which is sadly lacking. Completely beyond my technical expertise, but I bet some one could do it.

• Like 3

There are systems which will run in parallel with locos, without the need to go through the Loco itself.  I can't remember, offhand where I saw it, but it seemed pretty simple.

..................................................    it would have to be     ...................   I managed to understand it  .....    :boast:  :boast:

I was thinking today about how you could make the sound better. Then I thought it would be great if you could fit Bluetooth to a loco instead of a speaker. You could then transmit the sound and play through a decent audio system with proper speakers and get the bass sound which is sadly lacking. Completely beyond my technical expertise, but I bet some one could do it.

• Like 1

Although I haven't posted any progress this week I have been working on the bridge every night when I've got home from work building up the weathering.

Now it's getting there I thought I would post a couple of pictures. I have used Al of Bakewells method of building up washes of various colours. This is how it looks now. Both sides have been done, just need to do the pillars under the arches.

post-18515-0-07133100-1446934830_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-57913600-1446934845_thumb.jpg

Also tonight whilst waiting for the various washes on the bridge to dry I've started cladding the station building. Don't worry the masking tapes not permanent. It's just holding the plasticard in place while the glue drys.

post-18515-0-75841200-1446934969_thumb.jpg

Two days off work now so the plan is to get stuck into the station.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 3

Love the bridge. you have truly got the feel of it..    .......................   however    ...............

Although I haven't posted any progress this week I have been working on the bridge every night when I've got home from work building up the weathering.
Now it's getting there I thought I would post a couple of pictures. I have used Al of Bakewells method of building up washes of various colours. This is how it looks now. Both sides have been done, just need to do the pillars under the arches.
attachicon.gifimage.jpg
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Also tonight whilst waiting for the various washes on the bridge to dry I've started cladding the station building. Don't worry the masking tapes not permanent. It's just holding the plasticard in place while the glue drys.
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Two days off work now so the plan is to get stuck into the station.

Cheers
Marcus

.............    those mugs in the background are in serious need of weathering    ..............                  ....................