Marcus 37

Well that impromptu day off work allowed me to crack on with more flocking along the yard towards the portacabins.

The large areas were between the approach roads into the yard were teased up and trimmed and then covered with static grass.

The tracks still need some tufts adding but I will wait until the rest has dried first. There's still a bit of Ballasting required round the point work that needs completing as well.

Here's a few pictures of today's progress. With 47340 waiting to depart with empty PGA's whilst 37415 arrives with fuel tanks for the depot.

post-18515-0-50490200-1466444848_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-92717500-1466444866_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-68986900-1466445014_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-36284000-1466445112_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 11

Layout is looking amazing Marcus. I always look forward to your updates and envy your modelling skills.

Chris

Thanks Chris. The sidings are starting to come together now. Still some more to do in this area. I need to get some Sea moss next to make some trees for behind the portacabins.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 2

Not sure why your pictures look so green Marcus but I have just tweaked one of them to make it look more natural.

Almost there ...but...

IMHO it needs a bit more 'Contrast' - it looks like one of my faded old 1970s Agfa colour slides of my kids' step grandfather on 2 till 10 backshift in Peakdale box.

dh

Totally agree but was just a quick tweak on the phone when I was laid in bed just to make a point. I'll be sure to crack photoshop out next time bud! ;)

Almost there ...but...

IMHO it needs a bit more 'Contrast' - it looks like one of my faded old 1970s Agfa colour slides of my kids' step grandfather on 2 till 10 backshift in Peakdale box.

dh

Ah now that's easy to explain. That's because I use the iPad to take the pictures on the layout as my old Sony Cybershot doesn't like the conditions in the loft.

Why spend a fortune on a new camera when I can pay Cav to do me another one of his master pieces. Looking forward to that new class 60. Ha Ha Ha!

• Like 1

Hi Marcus

Out of interest, how did you do your point levers?

Hi Trevor

I just made them up from Plasticard. 2mm strips for the levers and 3 mm for the bases. Sadly I never took any pictures as I made them. I've got some made up that haven't been fixed in position so I'll get some pictures when I get a chance.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 2

Any new updates Marcus??

Sorry, Not at the moment Neil. In the process of working on some Sea Moss trees mate. Their currently soaking in a mixture of PVA / Water and Glycerine at the moment. Its not a technique I've tried before but its supposed to make them a lot more durable.

I'll let you now how they turn out later.

Cheers

Marcus

Well had the day off work today so treated the Sea Moss I purchased recently with a PVA, Glycerine and water solution. I left them to soak for about 2-3 hours before hanging them out to dry. It certainly seems to have made them far less brittle having checked the first batch a few minutes ago.

Anyway whilst waiting for the sea moss to do its stuff, I popped to the local model shop and stocked up with various profiles of Plastistruct. Armed with this I've started on making the foot bridge which crosses what was the old tramway cutting at the back of the depot.

Here's a couple of pictures of progress so far.

post-18515-0-02785000-1467047856_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-02974600-1467047868_thumb.jpg

I've got a nice easy day tomorrow so I shall crack on with a bit more tomorrow.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, Not at the moment Neil. In the process of working on some Sea Moss trees mate. Their currently soaking in a mixture of PVA / Water and Glycerine at the moment. Its not a technique I've tried before but its supposed to make them a lot more durable.

I'll let you now how they turn out later.

Cheers

Marcus

Can I ask why you use glycerine in your pva water mix?

Can I ask why you use glycerine in your pva water mix?

Hello mate

It gives the trees a bit more elastiticity and stops them being so brittle. This then makes them a little bit more durable once there on the layout.

I found about it of another thread on here. I'll post the link in a minute when I've found it.

Cheers

Marcus

Excellent. I'd heard this before but not tried it. As I will have a lot of seamoss trees in reach of prying hands at the front on Burton on Trent I probably should give it a go!

• Like 1

I can definitely say they are a lot better mate. Boots is your friend. 200ml bottle for £1.39. I just bought a washing up bowl from the pound shop and made up 2 litres of liquid and submersed the trees in it for 2-3 hours. I then just hung them up by their trunks on the wife's clothes airier outside. 

the ratio was 1 part PVA to 5 parts water. 10ml of Glycerine to 1 litre of water is the recommendation.

I can definitely say they are a lot better mate. Boots is your friend. 200ml bottle for £1.39. I just bought a washing up bowl from the pound shop and made up 2 litres of liquid and submersed the trees in it for 2-3 hours. I then just hung them up by their trunks on the wife's clothes airier outside.

the ratio was 1 part PVA to 5 parts water. 10ml of Glycerine to 1 litre of water is the recommendation.

Ha, this is turning into ' gardeners weekly ' :) Edited by rob D2