Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Marcus 37

Hi Peter

Thanks for the nice compliments.

Must admit I never have any trouble getting motivated with buildings. I really enjoy this aspect of the hobby now. Seeing your excellent weathering this is one area I really need to have a go at. Once this sheds out the way I need to finish the rear of the station building and then do the Peak Dale products building on the hill. Once their done I might just attack the spare Bachmann 37 body shell I have to see how I get on. Any hints and tips will be greatly recieved.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Best advice is to get a pic of the loco you want to do and copy the weathering. Too many models today are covered in spray which just doesn't look right. I say have a crack and see how you go. Happy to help with colours when you come to do the job I am sure Cav will be happy to help out too.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Hi Marcus,

Best advice is to get a pic of the loco you want to do and copy the weathering. Too many models today are covered in spray which just doesn't look right. I say have a crack and see how you go. Happy to help with colours when you come to do the job I am sure Cav will be happy to help out too.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. I certainly will be coming in yours and Cav's direction for advice. Your right about the spraying aspect. I have 37510 in Intercity that Cav did for me an it's absolutely exquisite. The weathering is superb on it and looks just right. I love the fact that you don't even use an air brush on yours and they look so realistic.

Might have a go sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Peter. I certainly will be coming in yours and Cav's direction for advice. Your right about the spraying aspect. I have 37510 in Intercity that Cav did for me an it's absolutely exquisite. The weathering is superb on it and looks just right. I love the fact that you don't even use an air brush on yours and they look so realistic.

Might have a go sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Marcus

Always a bit scary taking paint to a loco.

I've tried the paint on wipe off technique a lot and sometimes it works quite well. I also have an airbrush waiting to be tried.

One area paint brush beats airbrush is 37 side grilles I reckon. It doesn't look right when an airbrush has puffed a big lump on them as that's not the way they weathering the real world

• Like 1

Hi Rob

Your quite right there. Having scraped many a 37 grill in my time the crud always builds up on angled bit of the vanes whereas the vertical profile tends to stay cleaner. As you say, blasting it with an air brush makes the whole lot the same colour.

Also you always tend to get water streaks from the corners as well.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 2

Hi Rob

Your quite right there. Having scraped many a 37 grill in my time the crud always builds up on angled bit of the vanes whereas the vertical profile tends to stay cleaner. As you say, blasting it with an air brush makes the whole lot the same colour.

Also you always tend to get water streaks from the corners as well.

Cheers

Marcus

I'm sure you'll have no problem with weathering Marcus, you apply yourself to various aspects of modelling so well.

Peter is quite right, a picture of a subject is good, as is some imagination (Although I never utilised any photographic reference for either the Blue Circle Cargowaggon or the Royal Mail GUV I did). The fact that he doesn't use an airbrush just goes to show how non-essential one is, with his results which are brilliant!!!

I only use the airbrush for the toning down after the effects.

For water spills MIG do a rainmarks wash and also a perfectly clear one which I've found that applied after will leave a glossy, liquid like finish which can be teased where you want it. Also I have some Faller water effect which is resin based, that also gives a good representation of water/liquid, but it takes about 24 hours to go off.

Good luck, enjoy and maybe (unless someone has already suggested it) start on a piece of rolling stock before a loco.

Jinty ;)

Hi Marcus, I had a quick look in at Peak Forest this afternoon and thought these might interest you.

attachicon.gifDay out Canon 025.JPG

attachicon.gifDay out Canon 030.JPG

attachicon.gifDay out Canon 032.JPG

Nice pics mate. Thanks for posting. Those ex coal hoppers certainly seem to have taken a battering from being loaded with stone. That could be an interesting modelling scenario if I ever get some of those wagons.

Hows things going Marcus??

any new updates..

Hi Neil

Still beavering away on the shed mate. Mostly painting so haven't bothered posting to many pics.

Here's one so far.

post-18515-0-76711700-1491318892_thumb.jpeg

Oh, and spent quite a bit of time driving these. Brought them back to the SVR yesterday.

post-18515-0-03125100-1491319043_thumb.png

post-18515-0-74190800-1491319072_thumb.png

post-18515-0-25937200-1491319105_thumb.png

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 15

Hi Neil

Still beavering away on the shed mate. Mostly painting so haven't bothered posting to many pics.

Here's one so far.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Oh, and spent quite a bit of time driving these. Brought them back to the SVR yesterday.

attachicon.gifimage.png

attachicon.gifimage.png

attachicon.gifimage.png

Cheers

Marcus

Again what a great job you have and some very smart photos marcus :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marcus,

Now this isn't fair you know ... when your say your going to play trains, I assume you mean in the loft!!! :). Glad you seem to have enjoyed yourself with the 20s - get them up to Doncaster will you :)

Building is coming on well too ... I've started sketching out some drawing for the shed buildings on Arksey, and have been reading and re-reading your posts, suggestions and hints a few times!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

Hi Marcus,

Now this isn't fair you know ... when your say your going to play trains, I assume you mean in the loft!!! :). Glad you seem to have enjoyed yourself with the 20s - get them up to Doncaster will you :)

Building is coming on well too ... I've started sketching out some drawing for the shed buildings on Arksey, and have been reading and re-reading your posts, suggestions and hints a few times!

Rich

Hi Rich

As I said to VPF it makes a very pleasant change getting on the heritage stuff occasionally. They have appeared at Doncaster on a few occasions. When I learnt the 20's we took a rake of JNA's from Barrow Hill back to Donny.

I shall look forward to seeing you make a start on your buildings on Arksey.

All the best.

Cheers

Marcus

I'm sure you'll have no problem with weathering Marcus, you apply yourself to various aspects of modelling so well.

Peter is quite right, a picture of a subject is good, as is some imagination (Although I never utilised any photographic reference for either the Blue Circle Cargowaggon or the Royal Mail GUV I did). The fact that he doesn't use an airbrush just goes to show how non-essential one is, with his results which are brilliant!!!

I only use the airbrush for the toning down after the effects.

For water spills MIG do a rainmarks wash and also a perfectly clear one which I've found that applied after will leave a glossy, liquid like finish which can be teased where you want it. Also I have some Faller water effect which is resin based, that also gives a good representation of water/liquid, but it takes about 24 hours to go off.

Good luck, enjoy and maybe (unless someone has already suggested it) start on a piece of rolling stock before a loco.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty

You certainly have more confidence in me than I do HaHa.

I think your right about having a go on some rolling stock first. There's a couple of old Lima wagons lurking around somewhere so I'll probably have a go on those.

Cheers

Marcus.

• Like 1

I'd have wanted to put the 50 on the front....HaHa!!!!!!!!

I have a couple of days off now with my daughter sometimes she lets me stop just south of Basford Hall to watch the clean blue engines come through........lol!!!!! I guess you're heading East.......

How many 20's do GBRf have bud?

• Like 1

I'd have wanted to put the 50 on the front....HaHa!!!!!!!!

I have a couple of days off now with my daughter sometimes she lets me stop just south of Basford Hall to watch the clean blue engines come through........lol!!!!! I guess you're heading East.......

How many 20's do GBRf have bud?

You weren't the only one, especially as I sign them. Watch this space though.....

Unfortunately you are correct. I am heading east today with an intermodal as far as P'boro.

• Like 1

I know, I know! I would loved to have swapped them round but I might have got into a bit of trouble. HaHa

Sorry I missed the last part of your question.

GBRf don't actually have any 20's. The S Stock ones are HNRC and these two are preserved .

The HNRC ones are 096, 107, 118, 132, 311, 314, 901 & 905. We have also used 142 and 227 occasionally as well.

142 is owned by the same individual as owns 189 & 205 and 227 belongs to the Class 20 society.

Don't think I've missed any.

Hi matey.

Glad to see youve been scooping in the Chibbles haha!. I see the "K" has gone from 1K50 from 189's headcode blinds....

That big 'ol building is certainly looking the part mate with a bit of colour on. Very subtle.

Do you know DP of Coalville? - he's been up at PF recently.

Hi Marcus,

Nice job on the building it looks great. 

It's good to see the old class 20s still getting a bit of mainline work too. My mate was driving the class 50 over the weekend and said it was running really well.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1