West Croydon - 80s/90s Network SouthEast

Pete 75C

I just caught up with the other thread on Croydon north street regarding potential names...

Sorry - completely forgot to reply re: names. "West Croydon" is very much just a working title... the station itself isn't featured and I'm thinking of this layout as just a "snapshot" of the area. Viewed from the front, in real life, from left to right, you'd be walking along Waddon New Road and then up Ruskin Road towards the station. The jury's very much "still out" on names!

Nearer the time, I might do one of those poll things that I've seen on other threads. And the winner is..!

Tamworth Road as a potential name was actually a favourite of mine, but it was pointed out in the North Street thread a while back that without seeing the layout, it might be mistaken for being set in Staffordshire! Fair point.

• RMweb Gold

On a side note I saw the old lines connecting to the selhurst fast lines has been cleared and excavation work is taking place... We hear (politicians promising) rumours of future fast services to London Victoria and overground extending to a new platform at Cheam (new as in it it's only been waiting to be built for 100 years).

Ah - the Emergency Spurs! Very useful in the days when West Croydon had berthing sidings, and ECS could nip straight up the Through to Vic for the evening peak.

Cheam as a bounceback makes great sense, with the through lines long gone and a great area of wasted land instead. As you say elsewhere, Epsom Downs would once have provided a perfect terminus, but the former 7 platforms are now reduced to one!

Ah - the Emergency Spurs! Very useful in the days when West Croydon had berthing sidings, and ECS could nip straight up the Through to Vic for the evening peak.

Cheam as a bounceback makes great sense, with the through lines long gone and a great area of wasted land instead. As you say elsewhere, Epsom Downs would once have provided a perfect terminus, but the former 7 platforms are now reduced to one!

There's a fascinating page on the old Gloucester Road Junction signal box at:

http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/Gloucester_Road_Junction.html

and the old emergency spur can be seen in the signal diagrams in some of the photos. I understand why it was removed (lack of use) but the land itself has no use and it would be good to see it reinstated.

post-17811-0-52384400-1429118434.jpg

Re: Epsom Downs... isn't the current platform sited a little closer to Banstead? No doubt the original station site has long since been built on.

• RMweb Gold

There's a fascinating page on the old Gloucester Road Junction signal box at:

http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/Gloucester_Road_Junction.html

and the old emergency spur can be seen in the signal diagrams in some of the photos. I understand why it was removed (lack of use) but the land itself has no use and it would be good to see it reinstated.

attachicon.gifemergency_spur_1.jpg

Re: Epsom Downs... isn't the current platform sited a little closer to Banstead? No doubt the original station site has long since been built on.

Yes Epsom Downs station was built on some years ago and the platform moved further down the line.

All four boards are now aligned and secured. The two spirit levels came in very handy... Total size is 11' x 5' and to date, this is the biggest layout I've tackled. Someone pointed out that I must be mad starting this with a house move on the cards later this year. They were right. This old house is blessed with big rooms and high ceilings. For a spare room, there is still loads of space to move around all sides of the layout, but I might not be so lucky next time.

post-17811-0-69430300-1429179429.jpg

post-17811-0-87855300-1429179430.jpg

A decision has also been made about point control on the scenic side and the postman brought me some toys to play with...

post-17811-0-42930000-1429179432.jpg

If this was O gauge, I can understand how the Minx microdives could be surface mounted but for OO, they would still stick up proud of the baseboard surface even if I scraped the cork away. On the prototype, there is no convenient lineside hut to hide them in, so they'll probably be mounted underneath the baseboard.

I now need to align and secure the track at the joins between the scenic boards and the fiddle yard boards. I always used to be a bit cavalier about track alignment, trusting mainly to luck. Having successfully used copperclad on North Street for the first time, I'm convinced this is the best solution.

Thanks for those Ian. Strange to think how a shadow of its former self became a shadow of its former self again. 9 platforms down to 2 (the old platforms 4 & 5 seen above) and then finally relocation to a single platform. Progress, eh?

Edited for link: Not a great deal to do with West Croydon, but fascinating nonetheless!

http://www.wymann.info/EpsomDowns/EpsomDowns.html

• RMweb Gold

Nearer the time, I might do one of those poll things that I've seen on other threads. And the winner is..!

Tamworth Road as a potential name was actually a favourite of mine, but it was pointed out in the North Street thread a while back that without seeing the layout, it might be mistaken for being set in Staffordshire! Fair point.

Tamworth Rd has resonance for me as there was the Tamworth pub, a Young's house, sadly boarded up last time I went past.

• RMweb Gold

Tamworth Rd has resonance for me as there was the Tamworth pub, a Young's house, sadly boarded up last time I went past.

A few years back it was boarded up then reopened much the same as it was before. An ubmer of us Croydon Model railway Society members used retire back to here club nigghts on Wednesday evenings back in the 80's.

I havent been in there recently but google maps would indicate it is still open.

Anyone remember the NSE "South London Lines" route map? Found just a snippet of it on Google. Does anyone have a link to the full map online? I used to have a printed copy but can't find it anywhere...

post-17811-0-72915100-1429200423.jpg

Thanks for those Ian. Strange to think how a shadow of its former self became a shadow of its former self again. 9 platforms down to 2 (the old platforms 4 & 5 seen above) and then finally relocation to a single platform. Progress, eh?

Edited for link: Not a great deal to do with West Croydon, but fascinating nonetheless!

http://www.wymann.info/EpsomDowns/EpsomDowns.html

A shadow of a shadow of a former self. Quite an achievement. I can imagine the old station being quite...erm..."atmospheric" at dusk.

Hardly "progress" as such, and I certainly don't want to post an update every time I hammer in a track pin or slip on a fishplate, but the scenic boards are now properly aligned to the fiddle yard boards. I thought it worth an update for one simple reason... joining Code 83 Tillig to Code 100 Peco on a curve at a baseboard join proved to be an absolute pig and not something I'd be in a hurry to repeat! First of all, I did have to shim the Tillig a little using 40thou plasticard and then the Tillig proved rather too eager to slip out of gauge a little, meaning I had to break the soldered joint a few times and try again. Not pretty, but it doesn't need to be. Now thoroughly tested using a variety of stock, all that remains is to cut an insulation gap in the copperclad. Obviously, until I lay all the track, wire it up and start running trains around, I won't know for sure if there are any issues. It is far easier to bridge a gap by laying a single length of flexi over the join, soldering to copperclad and then using a razor saw or cutting disc to make a break in the rails. Trust me to be difficult...

West Croydon needs to be split apart and packed away for a few days as North Street needs to be setup and tested ready for Tuesday's photoshoot. I'll get some pictures and post over on the other thread in due course. Around a week or so after that, North Street will be leaving for its new home and I want to make sure everything's working as it should.

More soon. Have a great weekend and good luck to Ian (Temeraire) as Tidworth attends it's first show today. He's braver than I am!

post-17811-0-38699300-1429341006.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Morning Pete

Thanks for your wishes, don't know about brave though, stupid perhaps? However it all went together well last night so hopefully a couple of days playing ahead stress free!

On another note you may want to have a chat with PaulRhb about those micro drives before you go any further, he has had trouble with them!

Thanks Ian... I had spotted Paul's post about the microdrives. As someone who's had no end of trouble with seemingly simple Peco solenoids, I'm happy to give the microdives the benefit of the doubt and press ahead. I have little hair to tear out, so not much to lose!

Morning Pete, just playing catch up and I don't know why I haven't looked in before, I've only been to Croydon a couple of time to Railway Shows back in the 80's and for Training courses with the Dove Group that I once worked for down South. The plan is looking good and coming on well, Good luck with the House Move, there normally a nightmare.

All the best.

• RMweb Gold

Hardly "progress" as such, and I certainly don't want to post an update every time I hammer in a track pin or slip on a fishplate, but the scenic boards are now properly aligned to the fiddle yard boards. I thought it worth an update for one simple reason... joining Code 83 Tillig to Code 100 Peco on a curve at a baseboard join proved to be an absolute pig and not something I'd be in a hurry to repeat! First of all, I did have to shim the Tillig a little using 40thou plasticard and then the Tillig proved rather too eager to slip out of gauge a little, meaning I had to break the soldered joint a few times and try again. Not pretty, but it doesn't need to be. Now thoroughly tested using a variety of stock, all that remains is to cut an insulation gap in the copperclad. Obviously, until I lay all the track, wire it up and start running trains around, I won't know for sure if there are any issues. It is far easier to bridge a gap by laying a single length of flexi over the join, soldering to copperclad and then using a razor saw or cutting disc to make a break in the rails. Trust me to be difficult...

West Croydon needs to be split apart and packed away for a few days as North Street needs to be setup and tested ready for Tuesday's photoshoot. I'll get some pictures and post over on the other thread in due course. Around a week or so after that, North Street will be leaving for its new home and I want to make sure everything's working as it should.

More soon. Have a great weekend and good luck to Ian (Temeraire) as Tidworth attends it's first show today. He's braver than I am!

attachicon.gifwest_croydon_013.jpg

Making life difficult for yourself with a double interface. I think that I would have continued the Code 100 over the baseboard joint and put the interface with the Tillig nearer to the tunnelmouth.

Making life difficult for yourself with a double interface. I think that I would have continued the Code 100 over the baseboard joint and put the interface with the Tillig nearer to the tunnelmouth.

The option to do that still exists at the expense of nothing but a little time. I'll wait and see if I get any issues over the joins when I've made the complete oval. At the moment, I'm so damn stubborn that I've convinced myself that it'll be ok... Famous... last... words...! If it doesn't work, I'll be the first to admit it!

Anyone remember the NSE "South London Lines" route map? Found just a snippet of it on Google. Does anyone have a link to the full map online? I used to have a printed copy but can't find it anywhere...

attachicon.gifsouthlondonlines.jpg

Ok, it is not free,  there are some poster's and dvd Cab Ride's, maybe of use,on sale here.........NSE Society.

With just enough room to move around now that North Street is set up in the same room, I wanted to try out the track layout for the scenic boards. I still need to lay the loops in the fiddle yard, so I pinched some Peco Code 100 flexi and pinned it down around the Tillig pointwork, just to give me some idea of the finished look. I do quite like the way the curves "flow" but there's obviously room for improvement. I've included a pic of the actual location. All seems good at the moment. The curves do tighten up at each end, but the bridge carrying the shops over the London Road will be quite monstrous and should hide the curve at the station end a fair bit. Thoughts please! Knowing me, I've overlooked something obvious...

post-17811-0-93583400-1429519626.jpg

© Copyright Martin Addison and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

post-17811-0-87689100-1429519652.jpg

post-17811-0-38770900-1429519657.jpg

Archived