The Great Australian Outdoors

robertc

This MHG was mainly built of ply with cardboard, balsa, pop sticks and tie wire used where needed.

It does have the correct bogies, supplied by O-Aust.

I didn't scribe the louvres in deep enough and have considered ditching it over the years once I built some more.

But with addition of proper decals from Ted Freeman today I think it might now live much longer. The difference between good lettering and my dodgy old hand written attempt is chalk and cheese.

565371865_MHGnewdecalss.JPG.dbe4d85e0a7899edc8974cb5a8c77e16.JPG

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 2

I have been busy replacing more dodgy lettering with decals.

Many of  these vehicles are made from wood products just like the MHG. A time when I was experimenting with the lowest cost modelling I could achieve. The TE's and others look much better for it.

538881234_TE3s.JPG.c65bde583d8fd1e66bdf7e1c810bd35a.JPG

Once again the difference is chalk and cheese.

I have run out of flat clear so they await the final coat.

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 2

So how does one do a 3-rail US wagon conversion to a NSWGR wagon?

Simples.

Throw body, coupler and wheels in bin, keep bogie sideframes and add finescale wheels.

Cut and glue cardboard, balsa and tie wire to suit and attach to bogies.

Paint and add couplers of choice.

Start Here

image.png.1c12262aa0ff37bd9c4aa9043fe07aa0.png

1523726067_P1020173s.JPG.45d8513f1ff36ba260c3ce755ab27f6a.JPG1313676359_P1020171s.JPG.d62d0eed9db3cbdf0233353fea62d161.JPG

End here

1210178375_P1020174s.JPG.69dc8de0d021c88110657018d15c0b4b.JPG

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 4

Now just you need about 14 more :blink:to run the concentrate train.

great conversion Bob. Almost can’t see any resemblance to the US donor :aggressive_mini: at all.

I haven’t  got to do any modelling for myself at all this week it’s all been  for other people’s later enjoyment when they get there finished running models back that chuff N rumble and hoot N toot to boot.

Well, styrene or card it is a toss-up which is easier Marty . I think cutting out all the windows is easier with card but maybe not so with the crownlights. You can of course buy styrene already scored to represent the matchboard so that would be easier but a lot more expensive.  :>)

1300987200_photo2s.JPG.4ea5ee45510b6dfab58263866e2c8470.JPG

Here, the window frames are in.  Marvellous how much work can be done after an early start.

If you have any questions just ask Martin. I am, as always, ready to help.

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 2

Hi Bob

Great start with the passenger car 

what coding is it to be ?,  looks like a ACM sleeper going by the window combination and 3 doors., and the small bathroom windows 

thank for thoughts Shelley is doing really well after surgery next step is Radio Therapy.

quite a few sound installs done and repairs over the last few weeks did get some o scaling as the installs included 2 O scale 48’s I’ll put the video of those up on my page so wasn’t totally O scale deprived just not my own, still 2 45 and 2 49 are waiting in the queue so more O scale in the coming weeks.

11 hours ago, robertc said:

Well, styrene or card it is a toss-up which is easier Marty . I think cutting out all the windows is easier with card but maybe not so with the crownlights. You can of course buy styrene already scored to represent the matchboard so that would be easier but a lot more expensive.  :>)

23596548_P1020185s.JPG.5fea1b28a7380ffc5e56c54c7f3b4114.JPG

Here, the window frames are in.  Marvellous how much work can be done after an early start.

If you have any questions just ask Martin. I am, as always, ready to help.

cheers

Bob

Thanks Bob. I'm trying to get my hands on drawings for a KA Tramcar. Mercifully, the body is a lot simpler, but I can't make any real moves on it until I have drawings. I know that either the ARHS or Rail Archives have it somewhere.

Why not just scale it off this model photo?

The wheels will be 3' so  it should only be an evenings work to draw a 7mm diagram and get on with it.

http://www.imra.org.au/White_mod51.html

Here is the end view

http://southernline.blogspot.com/2012/09/

Window and door sizes were fairly standard and the principle dimensions of the vehicle can be found here.

http://www.sydneytramwaymuseum.com.au/members.old/Trolley_Wire/152 - Trolley Wire - Jun 1974.pdf

Why did I not think of building this one ??? :>)

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc

Some great info in the trolley wire mag Bob,  not just on the car Marty is planning on building but other tram plus railway info and some great old photos.

I don’t guess car 84 survived the fire at the park looked in a poor state when in transit.

2 hours ago, robertc said:

The remains of the car are at Valley Heights last I heard.

cheers

bob

I don't know if there is much left since it was basically all wood save for the bogies, handrail and buffers. It is one of those things I would like to see restored, since you don't get many 19th century carriages.

*Edit* Just looked up some stuff on railpage and what remains of the KA tramcar are up at Valley Heights. I might make a visit up there to see what is there. It breaks my heart to see all the restoration and reconstruction work that had been done during the 1970s and 1980s only for it to literally go up in smoke.

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The carriage is slowly progressing. I experimented with the paint before finishing the detail layers so it does show up some of the additions much better :>)

1677313072_photo6s.JPG.3e5edd909d753dbaa94aa742654c0723.JPG

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1

Currently no bogies are available for this carriage, although they were once.

Until they become available again or I scratch up a set, I am modifying a set of modern ones of unknown origin from the scrap box into a general NSWGR type bogie.

981623909_photo11s.JPG.b30a1dcdc4800cbbaffdd3cbe476413a.JPG1094259303_P1020200s.JPG.e619e7be10048a30d962b491cde81d9f.JPG

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1