The Great Australian Outdoors

robertc

On 01/01/2019 at 23:01, robertc said:

A few months ago they did a special batch of 3-rail 30 tanks for the HRCAA.

They must have had a few extra made and when I noticed they were on their cattle dog and could be supplied suitable for Peco C124, the rest is history Martin.

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob your 30 is a really nice looking model

I remember a few of the Modellers at AMRA we’re getting their chassis blocks for their 3 Rail models from ETS a few years ago.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

Hi Chris, I think the low flange height might mean automatically that it will be set to 28.6mm BTB but have not yet asked to confirm.

I just sent them an email asking for 2-rail, dc, low flange and 28.6mm BTB just to be sure.

If I was buying another I would also ask that no coupler be fitted. The single links that came with mine were never meant to come undone  :>)

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc

Hi Chris, like most they use USD. I suspect if we were in the EU it would be in Euros.

The transaction was smooth. Because they have no automatic costing for posting to Aus, the email I sent outlining my requirements was responded to by Zuzana with a Paypal request in USD with the postage added to the invoice.

cheers

Bob

Hi Chris, I think the low flange height might mean automatically that it will be set to 28.6mm BTB but have not yet asked to confirm.

I just sent them an email asking for 2-rail, dc, low flange and 28.6mm BTB just to be sure.

If I was buying another I would also ask that no coupler be fitted. The single links that came with mine were never meant to come undone  :>)

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob thanks for the info

Email sent to ETS just have to wait for a response now

What’s the buffer height like for the model is it close to the Australian spec for buffer Center line height of 23.9mm

Dose it look like the the wheels can be adjusted on the Axles for BTB ?? I’d probably replace the bogie wheels with slaters eventually anyway as they look a bit like the ones on a old bergs HO 30class, made under scale size for operating reasons for corners etc

Happy modelling

Chris

Hi Chris, the buffers appear to be close to 22mm centre height.

Wheels have insulating bushes so I would take it they can be removed with a puller or tapped out if you wish to replace them.

Bogie wheels are 19.5mm.

cheers

Bob

Given it is the only O gauge club layout in Sydney it would be a shame to see it go Chris.

If enough 2-railers turned up they might look into converting some of the track to 2-rail. The original NSWGR 7mm circuits would be ideal and leave the new yank track to the 3-railers. 

If the usage gets any less I might just as well stay home and run on my own layout.

merry xmas

Bob

Bob

You cannot use the old track for 2 rail, It all needs to be ripped up and Peco 124 track installed. My PSM R class and 49s simply fall through the track as it is not to gauge.

The other issue was people wanting to use 25 volts. I was always afraid they would "cook" one of my brass locomotives literally. A photograph I was shown from the

1980s showed that they had 20 members using the track, now it appears to be 5. I put the idea of installing Peco 124 track to 2 AGMS and 3 O scale meetings.

Literally people were screaming at me to shut up, one AGM they were anyway. I did tell them in 2014 to build a Peco 124 track, got told the whole layout is heritage and could not

be touched. (yet for the MTH track everything they wanted to modify got approved and they did it). Anyway its heritage until there are no O gauge members left I suppose?

Im all for an O scale club, O gauge is dead, O scale is alive and well.

Yes, Andrew changing one of the 7mm tracks to Peco C124 is what I was proposing. The inner of the two 7mm tracks would be perhaps best, leaving the outer one and the two yank tracks to the 3-railers.

Power it with  a DCC system so multiple players can use it. Most 7mm scale NSWGR modellers use DCC.

I'm sure there are protagonists but leaving it to rot as the old guard depart is not a good idea.

I have been made aware of eyes jealously eyeing off the space occupied by the O gauge layout for use by the HO crowd.

A regular user told me they were lucky to get 3 O gaugers at a time, one of whom is Col who just watches these days.

I was the third user on two days I was there. Much different to the last times I was there when the yank tracks were first being installed, could not get near a controller to have a run.

I have a BPRC 44 class with NMRA wheels so can make use of any of the existing track, however I too would not want to place any of my DCC finescale wheeled locos on any of the existing tracks.

Iconic or not, if it is not used it will be dismantled.

cheers

Bob

On 03/01/2019 at 11:01, robertc said:

Hi Chris, the buffers appear to be close to 22mm centre height.

Wheels have insulating bushes so I would take it they can be removed with a puller or tapped out if you wish to replace them.

Bogie wheels are 19.5mm.

cheers

Bob

Thanks Bob

Email received from Zuzana, the model can be supplied without couplers so it’s in progress.

Zuzana was just checking the postage. Not cheap I’m guessing but cheaper than a trip to Europe to pick up.

Really looking forward to the models arrival, as I can see it will be fun to detail up with a few additions like Coal bunker extension, cast water fillers for the 4 tanks fillers, timber buffer beam, maybe even some NSWGR loco buffers, hook couplings, lamps etc.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

Hi Chris, yes it wont be cheap and even dearer as the pacific peso falls even more. However they will not have an unlimited number of these to sell, just a few extras from the production run for the HRCAA so we just have to suck it up. Currently there is no alternative anyway.

I think the model is very much capable of being tarted up with numerous additions. The basic outline looks to be correct.

Hope they consider looking at our market for something in the future. For me it would only need to be to a similar standard so we can detail it to suit.

Running outdoors, urethane products have proved to be an issue in the sun. No problems with my models made from wood products, metal or styrene.

cheers

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Bob

30tank is ordered/paid for, I asked if they could leave the numbers off so could number different to your loco, but the reply said that all the body’s they have made are fully finished with paint and numbers already and like yours this will be a custom build to be a 2 Rail version

Looking forward to this arriving later in January with a bit of luck.

Re another loco they could do a 2-8-0 53class would be nice.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

Hi Chris, just remember to contact me before removing body. I might save you some angst.  :>)

Mine has done a lot of miles already. Just waiting on couplers before proceeding with any other mods.

There are some existing mechs that may be suitable for NSWGR stock, not sure what the interest would be however. Maybe if the HRCAA and similar 3-railers here would be interested in more Aussie issues we might get some of the crumbs to tart up for our use.

Yes, a standard goods would be nice. 50,53,55 and 10 class all from the same mech.

The Prussian P8 mech might be very close to a 36 class.

cheers

Bob

• Like 1

Today we had a couple of visiting Khiac 44 class locos.

The red terror is numbered the same as my home made one.

Both have been fitted with Loksound decoders. Horn sound is terrific.

Now back home in their nice wooden boxes, no doubt for some years.

cheers

Bob

Ernie 44's s.JPG

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1

Hi Bob yes will let you know when the 30 arrives

The photo with the 44’s looks good the Astro turf really looks good for the photos

Last weeks bargain buys from eBay with DCC sound, top stuff.

There is a, as new 49 class on eBay this week I can give you the direct contact for the seller if your visitor is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Another trip to Bunnings for some more plastic lawn and I am slowly getting the layout grassed.

The overhead and some structures are also starting to be reinstated at last.

1772744537_3tracklayout7s.JPG.7c88087de6fff4777252c1b2dadded4b.JPG

Too soft these days, only work on it until get to 30C.   :>)

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Railway is looking good Bob 

the Grass makes a very effective ground cover and will be very durable for out side in the weather.

Apparently my 30 tank arrives tomorrow going via the tracking.

what are the secrets to pulling it apart as will need DCC etc 

Hi Chris, I PM-ed you regards disassembly.

The grass should last longer than previous efforts and is not copyright. :>)

Should be useful indoors too.

Once the  re-ballasting starts the HO track may not be welcome any more.

Didn't take the spiders long to find the overhead again.

2049949298_P1010949s.JPG.e0939598fec21d777e7dc03fd74374f6.JPG

cheers

Bob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have done a couple of videos of the layout especially for a friend who cannot get to see them running.

A bit dodgy but getting better as I get to understand the camera in video mode.

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
original video removed
  • Like 3