The Great Australian Outdoors

robertc

While cleaning out the cobwebs in the cupboard I found this 59 class build hiding away.

So with little on the books at the moment I started work on the valve gear, roughing it out as I go.

P1010671.JPG.1e317a1c03640bfc1ea35d059ee77013.JPG

Who knows, maybe it will run one of these days ?  :>)

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc

• 2 weeks later...

Today was a nice spring morning so for the first time in a couple of months I decided to run a train.The 18 class is the lightest, so it gets to test how dirty the track is. A slight hiccup as it left the shed and from then on it traversed the layout slowly without issue.

1103474498_18atNevss.JPG.3423facc657f3a6f5d25372b4a874d33.JPG

I then took the 19 class out for a photo shoot.

Now sporting the nice decals from Ted Freeman it looks a treat.

Might get some brake shoes and sand pipes at a later time. Not an issue for me in the great outdoors.

It does not represent any one loco, just things I like and the number is a favourite of mine :>)

1151305099_P1010687s.JPG.450c3039b37c75e8c7ae485728f29e8a.JPG

1735731982_P1010694s.JPG.9c327b06202ea86ffc00170b341156fd.JPG

cheers

Bob

Edited by robertc
  • Like 3

While cleaning out the cobwebs in the cupboard I found this 59 class build hiding away.

So with little on the books at the moment I started work on the valve gear, roughing it out as I go.

attachicon.gifP1010672 s.JPG

Who knows, maybe it will run one of these days ?  :>)

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob

Looks like you had a nice New England spring day yesterday, for running trains

We also had a nice day down here and ran on a friends outdoor “G”arden Gauge layout on the coast near Newcastle.

Your 19 looks really good out in the sun how does it perform

The 18 looks like it’s got a good train load too the new tank train is a nice addition.

Re 59’s

I’ve got my Fox 59 reassemble at a nice height however I have noticed that the front buffer beam has a slight angle from the flat plane of the chassis that makes the buffers angle up hadn’t noticed when looking at the original height issue with the chassis however as it is now at a correct height the buffer beam is now noticeable may just live with it. Next is to sort out the tender height to match the loco.

Couple of photos 59 at the correct height and a Friends Schools out in the spring sunshine

post-14985-0-65470100-1536797532_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-94207700-1536797562_thumb.jpeg

Hi Chris, the 59 is looking good. Makes a big difference getting it down to correct height.

Do I take it your friends layout is all handlaid track?  Big job!

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob yes this track is all hand laid track all sleepers hand cut as well

Link to a video of some train running round the garden

https://youtu.be/jQAaqVMnuoQ

I tend to find that you save money when you build your own points, junctions and crossings, but plain track is about the same as RTR. Of course, making your own points gives you the benefit that you can build custom curved points and your own geometry to suit. I've used a variety of templates over the years, but I've always made track with flat-bottom rail, so I've just had to use spikes instead of cast chairs.

• 1 month later...

I recently had the opportunity to have a couple of days in Sydney while a cousin kept my mother company.

I spent my time there playing on the O gauge at the AMRA clubrooms at Mortdale.

My 44 I made specially to run there performed very well.

No issues of incompatibility with various track power systems in use on either layout.

BPRC to the rescue for the whole weekend.  :>)

post-5543-0-89165600-1542168907.jpg

cheers

Bob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The 59 has progressed a bit further.

It is awaiting a nylon worm from the UK so I can power it up and do some test running.

Once it is running to my satisfaction it will be numbered and the painting finished, coaled ,crewed etc..

post-5543-0-17809300-1543026134.jpg

cheers

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The access ramp is banker territory. The heavy brass GE44 tonner is useful for this purpose.

Saves having to run outside and give it the five finger assist.

1728812134_19atramps.JPG.e2548b3bf665bc7cfcabc47632e10d17.JPG

A bit later I was reminded why using BPRC on a line without fences to keep errant stock in the baseboards was not a good idea.

The 19 class derailed due to a twig having been blown onto the line in the winds that eventually see play suspended for the rest of the day.

If the loco had been running on BPRC it would have continued on its merry way to fall down onto the concrete way below rather than stopping as soon as it derailed.

cheers

Bob

branch on layout s.JPG

Edited by robertc
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob

The Fast Electric Parcel Van is coming along nicely, it’s certainly something different and not often modelled

Your railway is getting a very metropolitan mix of models now. I wonder what will be next a 46 Electric may be.

I'll have to put the catenary back up once this one is done Chris . :>)

I'll just have to put up with my private coal hoppers running under overhead once again.

My bucket list includes a 4 car suburban set too.

I was past your way this week. Took the Xplorer to the smoke to see relo's.

The visit to AMRA was probably the saddest. The numbers using the O gauge has seriously diminished over the last few years. Often no one to be seen.

'Use it, or loose it' seems to be the cry at the clubrooms.

cheers

Bob

• Like 1

Rail travel the most relaxing way to travel down the New England to Sydney esp this time of year with all the Holiday traffic

It’s a shame about the AMRA layout I’m guessing the numbers are dwindling with the passing of time and with no alternative for “Fine Scale standards” it days may be numbered, also as Marty pointed out its a fair hike to get there this is the main reason for me as it’s can be 4 hours + worth of traveling to get there and back.

A 4 car suburban set would look really good esp if you mix up the colour schemes in the set, I’m a big fan of the PTC blue and white that many didn’t like but I think they were quite striking when compared to the all Red sets.

Re the PO hoppers under wires Rule 1 Or you could add a branch line off the outdoor layout circuit.

Given it is the only O gauge club layout in Sydney it would be a shame to see it go Chris.

If enough 2-railers turned up they might look into converting some of the track to 2-rail. The original NSWGR 7mm circuits would be ideal and leave the new yank track to the 3-railers. 

If the usage gets any less I might just as well stay home and run on my own layout.

merry xmas

Bob

They are also open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays Marty.

I was there on a weekend about a month back.

2 hours, I drive longer than that just to get a Subway!  :>)

merry xmas

Bob

Thanks Bob. Saturdays and Sundays are generally out for me because I work weekends as a Church organist. When they moved to Mortdale several years back I went along on a few Wednesdays, and I don't think they were open on Fridays back then.

This might be an article for Aus7.

Just installed a sound decoder in an ETS 2-rail 30 Tank ( my Christmas and birthday gifts for the next two years).

Not as nice a Pete's but not likely to warp in the sun.

Here it is panting away in the sun.

Kadee couplers and a few other bits added should tart it up quite nicely.

happy new year

Bob

P1010910 s.JPG

Edited by robertc
  • Like 2

A few months ago they did a special batch of 3-rail 30 tanks for the HRCAA.

They must have had a few extra made and when I noticed they were on their cattle dog and could be supplied suitable for Peco C124, the rest is history Martin.

cheers

Bob

• Like 2