Are Dapol pendolinos DCC ready?

Swifty11

OK I think there are some wires crossed here. Dapol proposed an N gauge Pendolino a few years ago, but it has never got off the drawing board. As a result and after extensive discussion on this forum and others, Revolution trains/Rapido are producing one in N gauge.

The Hornby Pendolino is OO gauge and AFAIK Dapol don't do a OO Pendolino.

There is of course the Pretendolino but that's just Mark3 coaches in Virgin Trains livery

John P

• RMweb Premium

Dapol Pendolino is indeed a blast from the past! 2001? I seem to recall a younger self having to choose a 'main' Christmas present, either between the then-new Heljan Class 47 for £89 in RES colours or a whole 4-car Dapol Virgin Pendolino for about the same price.

Turns out the reviews said the Dapol model didn't run that smoothly, but then again my '47' grew it's chassis and exploded, so no winners there!!

I've not seen a Dapol Pendolino on trader's stands for a long time (and it's now it's old enough for people to question its existance!) so I'd stick to tracking down those Hornby coaches Tom - my top tip is find out the Hornby code numbers and then get a copy of the latest Railway Modeller and doing an old fashioned ring-around of all the tiny model shops that don't use the internet and see if they have any laying around :)

Cheers

James

Dapol did a 4mm Pendolino in the past, but I don't think it really compares well to the later Hornby version IIRC.

Cheers, Mike

It may of helped if the OP had mentioned the scale. It must be a OO gauge thing as most O gauge and N gauge modellers make it clear. Its perhaps because O and N modellers take notoce of what is available in other scales.

• RMweb Premium

Well, no, they don't, because jpendle said not once, but twice, that such a thing didn't exist, despite other people saying they owned them! You'd have thought the first one to say as much would have been a clue! ;)

Well, no, they don't, because jpendle said not once, but twice, that such a thing didn't exist, despite other people saying they owned them! You'd have thought the first one to say as much would have been a clue! ;)

If you were replying to me then I did say 'available' - as in current. A 14 year old product (assuming the 2001 mentioned above) is hardly current. The thread got to post 6 before it was clear which gauge the OP was referring to (and only by mentioning Hornby) 

• RMweb Premium

The Dapol Pendolino wasn't the world's most accurate model.

In certain circles, it was referred to as "Pendodildo"..............................................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

The Dapol Pendolino was a disappointing model, made more disappointing as Dapol had made some big claims for it before release raising expectations. The Hornby model is not their best model either and is more trainset/railroad than main range but it is a better model than the Dapol version.

• RMweb Premium

I'm really not sure about that but it wouldn't surprise me. I find the Hornby version a bit infuriating as in many ways it is superbly done, the shape is excellent and with good glazing and a bit more finesse to the details it could be a really excellent model. Usually the most critical thing to get right in a model is the shape, get that right and you can always improve details, the Hornby Pendolino captures the basic shape very well I think.

The Horny Pendolino like the original HST and the 91 set and coaches all fall into the Kids railway model market so appear to be built for robustness over finesse.

But as you say get the shape right and it's about sticking on extra detail rather than hacking a model apart.

Archived