The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Clarkson

edcayton

Seemingly he's popular...............

Not with me he ain't, just gives us Yorkshire folk a bad name.

ps am I glad the disagree button is locked out of use...................

Off to occupy the bunker now. :O

• RMweb Gold

Completely understood the reason not to renew his Top Gear contract, but why announce him as host of HIGNFY so soon?

Ed

I think you'll find he was booked to appear quite some time ago.

As with others Hislop & Merton will have some fun at his expense.

You are quite right Graham, but,to me, as a matter of principle they should not show this episode, even if their contract compels them to pay for it. Andy, I think he is both intelligent and funny and I enjoy his shows, BUT in the end the Beeb had no choice but to do what they did and should stand by that decision.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

You are quite right Graham, but,to me, as a matter of principle they should not show this episode, even if their contract compels them to pay for it. Andy, I think he is both intelligent and funny and I enjoy his shows, BUT in the end the Beeb had no choice but to do what they did and should stand by that decision.

Ed

I'm a bit mystified.

Are you saying he should never work on TV again ?

There were no charges brought against him and the producer did not wish anything further, and he's not had his contract renewed.

What else ?

• RMweb Premium

HIGNFY is not made by the BBC, it's  a bought in programme.

Whilst the BBC can sack him, they can't stop other companies employing him.

Thanks Graham. Was about to say if BBC did not renew contract because he had "crossed the line" how could he possibly appear in HIGNFY. But that certainly explains it. I hadn't realised it wasn't made by BBC. I expect you are going to see Clarkson and probably his team appear somewhere on TV soon anyway , Sky, Channel 4

• RMweb Premium

There were no charges brought against him and the producer did not wish anything further

Anything more would probably have been career suicide - I doubt it's done him much good as it is.  The Guy must no doubt be watching his back every time he walks down the street, in case some nut job wants to deck him.  If the top man at the BBC can get death threats....

HIGNFY is not made by the BBC, it's  a bought in programme.

Whilst the BBC can sack him, they can't stop other companies employing him.

With Have I Got News for You they probably could as it is commissioned by the BBC from Hat Trick. That means they have considerable say over it and it does have to follow BBC editorial guidelines (If you look at the end credits you'll see that it has a BBC Executive Producer as well as the Hat Trick production team). That is different from a purchased programme which a broadcaster buys more or less "off the shelf" 

In any case the BBC hasn't banned Clarkson from appearing on programmes it broadcasts but has simply not renewed his contract for Top Gear ; whether they should is arguable but they haven't so there is in principle nothing to stop his appearance on other programmes.  

I don't know whether the decision to drop Angus Deayton from HIGNFY, following several allegations of drugs and prostitution,  was made by the BBC or the production company (my guess would be the BBC) but he has appeared on other programmes and series since then. 

Clarkson is probably the most high profile British presenter removed from a programme for attacking a colleague but not the first; who remembers

Frank Partridge, the Sky News presenter sacked after slapping colleague Kay Burley in 2001 during an off-air row ?

According to a press report at the time

"Staff at Sky News sympathise with Partridge, who is a popular figure, but believe he could not continue in his role after hitting a colleague." (Evening Standard 08 January 2002)

I would guess that many who are in show business, sport etc have in the past and will in the future cross the line. Most things are kept quiet, hushed up etc and the public are none the wiser. There is no reason why Clarkson should stop doing his job, many like him and he earns his backers/employers millions.

I don't particularly like the chap and normally do not watch his programs. If everyone who ever punched someone was banned from ever working again then there would be far more out of work!!  Half our rugby stars would be out of the game. pubs and night clubs would be empty.

I would much prefer if those politicians and civil servants who c**k up be banned from further public service, now that would be useful. If you don't like Clarkson be like me and don't watch him, but his talent does help to fill the tax coffers up.

Completely understood the reason not to renew his Top Gear contract, but why announce him as host of HIGNFY so soon?

Ed

Who cares? I always thought he was a fat oaf but now we know he is violent too. As he is/was apparently so grossly overpaid there is little chance of him surfacing on the radio, thank goodness.

With Have I Got News for You they probably could as it is commissioned by the BBC from Hat Trick. That means they have considerable say over it and it does have to follow BBC editorial guidelines (If you look at the end credits you'll see that it has a BBC Executive Producer as well as the Hat Trick production team). That is different from a purchased programme which a broadcaster buys more or less "off the shelf" 

In any case the BBC hasn't banned Clarkson from appearing on programmes it broadcasts but has simply not renewed his contract for Top Gear ; whether they should is arguable but they haven't so there is in principle nothing to stop his appearance on other programmes.  

I don't know whether the decision to drop Angus Deayton from HIGNFY, following several allegations of drugs and prostitution,  was made by the BBC or the production company (my guess would be the BBC) but he has appeared on other programmes and series since then. 

Clarkson is probably he most high profile British presenter removed from a programme for attacking a colleague but not the first; who remembers

Frank Partridge, the Sky News presenter sacked after slapping colleague Kay Burley in 2001 during an off-air row ?

According to a press report at the time

"Staff at Sky News sympathise with Partridge, who is a popular figure, but believe he could not continue in his role after hitting a colleague." (Evening Standard 08 January 2002)

That BBC executive producer you mention had better provide a chip butty at the end of filming, or learn to duck!

Let's look at Clarkson's situation / punishment from a slightly different viewpoint... a while back former BBC top dog Mark Thompson bit a colleague causing actual bodily harm, yet he was still given the top job afterwards. Clarkson hit a colleague but his contract was not renewed... so where is the consistancy from the Beeb...?

Let's look at Clarkson's situation / punishment from a slightly different viewpoint... a while back former BBC top dog Mark Thompson bit a colleague causing actual bodily harm, yet he was still given the top job afterwards. Clarkson hit a colleague but his contract was not renewed... so where is the consistancy from the Beeb...?

I wouldn't expect the BBC to be consistent with it own attitudes from twenty seven years ago. The alleged incident happened in 1988 and I'm not sure if it would even count as ABH; it certainly didn't follow thirty minutes of verbals, nothing ever came of it and it was sixteen years later that Thompson became Director General. 

The story is here. From this report from 2005 I'd say it was less serious than the Clarkson incident, . You can form your own opinion.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2005/mar/24/broadcasting.bbc  

The BBC is even less consistent than you think, they sacked Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand over a late night gag that went wrong.

Within six months Ross was back standing in for Steve Wright !

And judging by some of the questions he was asking Kylie Minogue the other night, it wont be long before he oversteps the mark again, she had to politely tell him to shut up.

• RMweb Gold

The BBC is even less consistent than you think, they sacked Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand over a late night gag that went wrong.

Within six months Ross was back standing in for Steve Wright !

Factual pedantry:

Neither were sacked. They were suspended. Brand resigned and Ross clung on to his job.

It was six years later he stood in for Steve Wright.

Easy way to make a couple of grand - turn up and rehearse the autocue et voilà. Merton was merciless with a horrible blond DJ from Leeds...

Mal

Like anyone who has mastered a difficult craft, experienced presenters just make it look easy. It isn't !! 

Yet another great bit of business by the BBC again. Has a great money making business and looses the items which makes it work. Perhaps those who managed the system should also loose their jobs as well, as it will cost us the licence fee payers millions in lost revenues.

To start off with the presenters should have been given new contracts long ago tieing them into the series, secondly it was reported that there was a shortage of production crew on the day. And to get to the nub of it, if all the crew had been working long hours that day with little or no catering then there should have been hot food waiting for them 

No doubt if they are off to Sky I guess Sky would take better care of their investments

Archived