Ellesmere North (W.Region 1957)

coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Now then...excuse my ignorance about carriage Diagram Numbers, but am I right in saying that the Diag. E147 is different to the B-Set coaches from Airfix (etc).

Did the Airfix type get normal buffers both ends for "Loose" use?  I am assuming no to that one! ;)  Just a thought!

What follows is from memory as I'm at work and can't check my books, but as far as I recall the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby model represents diagram E140 (diagram E145 was similar but with 9 ft plate bogies not 7 ft). As far as I know, E140/E145s only ever ran as B-Set pairs and not as individual or "loose" vehicles.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Coachman is it my PC screen or dose the red paint look a bit thin at the bottom of the coach from the middle running towards the end closest to the camera. Looks a bit pink compared to the rest of the coach. Not meant to be critical of your workmanship.

misread that post. I see you said you are going to change the sides. In my defence it was late and I'm sticking to it.

Is there a way to remove the static from a plastic model.

Ps you didn't have to take your last post of coach!

Sorry Coachman is it my PC screen or dose the red paint look a bit thin at the bottom of the coach from the middle running towards the end closest to the camera. Looks a bit pink compared to the rest of the coach. Not meant to be critical of your workmanship.

misread that post. I see you said you are going to change the sides. In my defence it was late and I'm sticking to it.

Is there a way to remove the static from a plastic model.

Ps you didn't have to take your last post of coach!

My diorama sits on a white garden table and this reflects white light upwards onto the coach's tumble home.....This effect can be seen on the close-up view of the B-set in the post above.  Sometimes the garden fence sends a brownish colour cast onto models when the sun is setting. 

Building an LMS corridor set for an Aberystwyth-Manchester express starting with the brake third.....

I can't remeber such an 'express'.

My recollection of Manchester Exchange to Barmouth was of a pleasant trundle - often as not with a particularly long hot stop in the sun at...

wait for it...

Oswestry!

:sungum:

dh

• RMweb Gold

I can't remeber such an 'express'.

My recollection of Manchester Exchange to Barmouth was of a pleasant trundle - often as not with a particularly long hot stop in the sun at...

wait for it...

Oswestry!

:sungum:

dh

The author of the book probably meant limited stop. 

The nearest it probably got to being an 'Express' was the lamp at each end of the front bufferbeam. The 1959 Summer timetable (see http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?atk=554 ) shows a Manchester London Road to Aberystwyth train which averaged 36 MPH non-stop from Oswestry to Welshpool.

The nearest it probably got to being an 'Express' was the lamp at each end of the front bufferbeam. The 1959 Summer timetable (see http://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk/?atk=554 ) shows a Manchester London Road to Aberystwyth train which averaged 36 MPH non-stop from Oswestry to Welshpool.

So from London Road, would that be via Crewe and Whitchurch?

Incidentally March Backtrack has an article on the LNW backed Cambrian opening: Oswestry to Ellesmere and Whitchurch (and the other projects that didn't make it).

dh

So from London Road, would that be via Crewe and Whitchurch?

Incidentally March Backtrack has an article on the LNW backed Cambrian opening: Oswestry to Ellesmere and Whitchurch (and the other projects that didn't make it).

dh

I bought the mag today, on my way to the opticians (I'll see you when I get back? ;) ).

This is part 2 of a short series on Oswestry.

It looks very interesting at a glance. The map is full of possibilities!

Now all I need is a copy of the first part! ;)

Time for some track laying Larry, personally I can't wait!  This is possibly a bit large, but a renamed Windermere looks pleasant.  

attachicon.gifOswestry General 1957.jpg

A Jenks favourite I think.

Forgive my ignorance but is that a capstan turntable for wagons alongside platform one, and would that be the goods platform alongside it?  Cheers Bob

post-20610-0-52139000-1456525702.jpg

Ellesmere North will be quietly dropped. Work on the layout actually ceased on 14th October 2015 (post # 1279) and I have been looking at Oswestry since then. A typical train for working in from the Llanfyllin Branch....

attachicon.gifWEB GWR suburbans 1.jpg

RTR suburbans for the LNER, LMS and SR but one still has to build for the GWR. Comet etched sides....

attachicon.gifWEB GWR suburbans 3.jpg

I have just come across a colour film from 1965 on the bfi player on the British Film Institute site of a journey from Llanfyllin to Oswestry. Interesting viewing including locos on the turntable at Oswestry.

The link is http://player.bfi.org.uk/?gclid=COr8pr_Dl8sCFUWNGwod9lAErw and then search 'Railways'

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bob. For Oswestry General, read Windermere as that is what the track plan is for. It is a wagon turntable and goods platform / shed.

Not sure of the relevance here but Windermere was gravity shunted for both passenger and freight by backing up the branch, holding the train on the brakes, running the loco off and then allowing gravity to do the rest. Hence why there is no obvious run-round or station pilot facilities; there was neither.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bob. For Oswestry General, read Windermere as that is what the track plan is for. It is a wagon turntable and goods platform / shed.

Not sure of the relevance here but Windermere was gravity shunted for both passenger and freight by backing up the branch, holding the train on the brakes, running the loco off and then allowing gravity to do the rest. Hence why there is no obvious run-round or station pilot facilities; there was neither.

and come complete with the Elterwater Gunpowder unloading dock  right next door to where they used to drop the fires of locos! Nicktoix built a OO  model of Windermere many years ago. Great track layout!

The works and Loco Shed will have to be "Off Stage".... A good reason for Light Engine movements....

Looking at the Backtrack article (part 2) it shows that the GWR and (what was to become the) Cambrian Railways both came to Oswestry before the link to Whitchurch was built.

So, if the GWR branch from Gobowen came first, the Cambrian could simply have a joint station at Oswestry, later re-modelled to cope with the Whitchurch Line, and the Works.

So "Oswestry General" would have started out as a Joint Station, as Chester General was, but later, after grouping (in this case 1922 CR and GWR I think...) all GWR.

Of course, Chester also had CLC "Chester Northgate" and CLC "Liverpool Road Chester" Stations....

There was also a GWR plan for a line to Ellesmere, and, probably later, two "chords" linking the GWR main line to the Oswestry - Ellesmere line on the Backtrack map, amongst other interesting "not built" lines. (It is a basic diagramatical map, but still of interest!).

Note....

The January 2016 Backtrack contains Part One of the Oswestry feature....

I hid away upstairs this afternoon to enjoy that old film of the LLanfyllin branch. I always enjoyed riding those Welsh branch lines as they twisted into the mountains.

My one regret is never to have taken the time to travel from Oswestry via Three Cocks Junction to Brecon - I could so easily have done it. :wild: :angry:

dh

Hi coach 

Just a reminder that the Ellesmere layout is at Rainhill Show this coming weekend t?hought I would wander over on Saturday was impressed with what I saw on your thread earlier. Are you intending to go over the weekend 

Archived