Ellesmere North (W.Region 1957)

coachmann

I thought this may be of interest....(From Ffrwd Locks Postings....) ;)

A major resource discovered via another forum poster, Thanks....

Railway Clearing House Railways Junctions Diagrams 1914

These maps shew the various junctions between the Pre-Groupling Railway Companies.

http://commons.wikim...ns_Diagram_1914

Here are some maps from around the Ffrwd and Wrexham Area...

Clicking on the link below the maps takes you to the site where the image can be enlarged by clicking on it, etc.....

Oswestry_Gwersyllt%2C_Plas_Power_%26_Wre

Oswestry Gwersyllt, Plas Power & Wrexham RJD 55 [Public domain], by Railway Clearing House (Railway Junction Diagram), from Wikimedia Commons

Wrexham Area Railway Clearing House "Junction Diagrams" C1905 and 1914.

The Ffrwd Branch (Moss Valley Line) leaves the top of the map from Moss Valley Junction...

Abergavenny%2C_Corwen%2C_Brymbo_%26_Coed

Abergavenny, Corwen, Brymbo & Coed Talon RJD 119 [Public domain], by Railway Clearing House (Railway Junction Diagram), from Wikimedia Commons

This maps shews the actual Joint line from Brymbo to Coaed Talon (LNWR and GWR Joint.). In my model world, the line to Coed Talon runs from Ffrwd Locks, instead of Brymbo...

Hope_%26_Connah%27s_Quay_RJD_139.jpg

Hope & Connah's Quay RJD 139 [Public domain], by Railway Clearing House (Railway Junction Diagram), from Wikimedia Commons

This map shews more of the Great Central, originally Wrexam Mold & Connah's quay, later LNER, lines around Wrexham...

Hi Sarah. Since starting off at Wrexham, I have moved southerly to centre on Oswestry, or at least the layout will once construction commences. The station will become a through station with trains between Whitchurch and Welshpool plus branches to Llanfyllin and the Wrexham line extended from Ellesmere. Sadly I haven't any maps and so I may just be up the creek on this one. Whatever, the place will remain with the title 'Ellesmere North'.

Hi Sarah. Since starting off at Wrexham, I have moved southerly to centre on Oswestry, or at least the layout will once construction commences. The station will become a through station with trains between Whitchurch and Welshpool plus branches to Llanfyllin and the Wrexham line extended from Ellesmere. Sadly I haven't any maps and so I may just be up the creek on this one. Whatever, the place will remain with the title 'Ellesmere North'.

I will have a look at some maps sometime soon....

But the RCH plan of Oswestry in the post above is a start,,,,,one reason that I posted them here... ;)

Those solenoids have got to go, it sounds like the loco's farting!  Can I suggest that you remove the hook part of the loco's couplings?  I have found that it doesn't affect reliability and just leaving the loop looks less intrusive.

Ed

Those solenoids have got to go, it sounds like the loco's farting!  Can I suggest that you remove the hook part of the loco's couplings?  I have found that it doesn't affect reliability and just leaving the loop looks less intrusive.

I concur. I doubt whether solenoids will be used within the new station complex, however, they have proved useful in the colliery yard at the bottom of the shed. As for the fiddle yard, I can set roads with a finger a damn sight quicker than studying a diagram.

Front couplings have been important because of necessary reversal at Ellesmere but I agree something better can be done about loco couplings. My Derby 4F was fitted with wire loops some years ago but I didn't carry this out of other locos. Once the new layout is completed I will consider lots of details.

• RMweb Premium

Yet another totally wasted morning trying to video the 8F with Locoman sound. Yesterdays filming was done in pouring rain while today it is dry and cold and the rails have needed cleaning all over the place becasue of stalling. Yet those pesky Code 100 tracks on the outside extension just keep going without cleaning. The camera battery isn't lasting long in video mode and is currently on charge for an hour or so while I go do the big shop! Hopefully there will be something to show this evening. 

Larry, I'm sure I've seen a fluid that gives the track good 'connectivity' (if that's the word?). Sorry I can't remember what it was at the moment, however I'm sure if you contacted Digitrains (Lincoln) they are a very helpful bunch when it comes to matters DCC and they may know what it is. The track still needs cleaning but the fluid leaves a 'coating' of some sort.

Hope you get the stalls sorted.

Phil

I'd be very careful about any kind of fluid on the rails, too much opportunity to ruin plastics either immediately or over time.

I have noticed over the last couple of years that the 'fine scale' code 75 seems to accumulate dirt which never seems to clean off, some older stuff I have doesn't. Perhaps they use a different alloy these days, it seems slippery too, even after cleaning.

The code 100 mix of Hornby, Bachmann and Peco doesn't seem to ever need cleaning, despite being a skirtingboard/carpet affair and plastic wheels on some stock.

DELUX MATERIALS TRACK MAGIC Larry, its works wonders, I've used it at Shows on a Saturday morning and despite Hot / Cold /  Humidity its lasted all weekend.

You can also use it safely on Wheels, Pickups etc for sweet running.

EDIT = You think you have clean wheels and track until you wipe this over on a soft cloth or a cotton bud on the Rails, Wheels and Pick ups.

Looking at the Track Magic bumph online I'd say it's just a combination of Isopropyl Alcohol and herbs & spices. I don't know if a chemical specs sheet is available, but it should be.

I did notice several warnings not to pour said liquid on the track and "By using the suggested methods of using track Magic it should not be harmful to the track or locomotives but use of excessive amounts of the fluid is not recommended.

The should is in there to cover them on the off chance that it is harmful.

Looking at the Track Magic bumph online I'd say it's just a combination of Isopropyl Alcohol and herbs & spices. I don't know if a chemical specs sheet is available, but it should be.

I did notice several warnings not to pour said liquid on the track and "By using the suggested methods of using track Magic it should not be harmful to the track or locomotives but use of excessive amounts of the fluid is not recommended.

The should is in there to cover them on the off chance that it is harmful.

I've been told it's quite nice with some ice and a slice of lemon, shaken not stirred ! :)

If I were judging track by its geometry alone, then Peco Code 83 would win hands down especially with a double slip waiting in the wings. But semi-outdoor application is being taken into account and experiments conducted so far lead me to consider Code 100 the best bet for my needs. Funnily enough I used it about nine years ago on 'Diggle Junction' before going down the 'scale appearance' route with SMP.

I hope LNER4479 doesn't mind me using this picture taken on his excellent Grantham layout. It illustrates Peco Code 100 track and to my eye the larger 'chair' gives this track more of a bullhead appearance than existing Peco Code 75.....

post-6680-0-30745000-1454004973.jpg

Its startling in a Great Western landscape to hear a watery Stanier hooter !

I've decided that DCC sound is much better suited to intricate, slow (or slogging freight) locomotive movements than passenger expresses.

I particularly enjoyed the sound 'receding into the landscape' as it passed under the bridge out of the shed towards Wrexham.

Thank you.

dh

• RMweb Gold

The only other ex LMS engines on the next layout will be a Hughes 'Crab' (awaiting decent sound), a Fowler LMS-built 4F and the forthcoming Stanier 2-6-0. I'm not finding a use for the Fairburn 2-6-4T after all nor the brass L&YR 3F 0-6-0. I want to retain as much GWR flavor as possible, but from photos I've seen so far the Llanfyllyn branch used ex LMS 2MT 2-6-0's, this before the L.M.Region takeover in 1963. Maybe someone knows more about this?

I would have agreed about DCC sound being more suited to slow plodding trains, but Locoman sound in the 8F has shown it is capable of replicating fast moving locos. If I had one I would happiliy put this sound in a Black Five. 

The WR, in particular the Central Wales and Cambrian sections, had a number of Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0s (most, if not all, of the WR allocation were Swindon built and went new to the Western in 1952/53; many later gained lined green livery).

Ivatt 2MT sound a decent one is needed, as yet not been able to find a suitable one.

If you find one and these loco's were fairly widespread let us know where it comes from

I for one would put the Locoman 8F sound in one. Controllable chuffs, Stanier hooter, neat sound when rolling along with a passenger train.....

How does it differ from the 8F....? https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Preserved+Ivatt+2-6-0+-+YouTube&view=detail&mid=FCDE8A8B56E425FD886DFCDE8A8B56E425FD886D&FORM=VIRE5

Hi Coachman.

I have been thinking about locations....

Using the previously posted maps...(see earlier post on this thread from myself! ;) )

It could be possible to make Ellesmere North the Junction Staion for the Oswestry to Whitchurch line and the Ellesmere to Wrexham Line (Originally a tri-angular Junction...).

This would be placed on the Oswestry side of the triangle....between Frankton and Ellesmere Stations. The "North" bit would be OK here! (Or even Ellesmere North Junction? ;) )

Another interesting location could be Wrexham Hightown Junction, the fictitious junction to the "south" of Wrexham Central (Cambrian Railways), with the fictitious Cambrian and LNWR Joint line to Farndon, Holt, and the Crewe to Chester line near Tattenhall Road/ Waverton.  This would be another triangular Junction....

There could be an also fictitious LNWR Loco Shed at Wrexham Hightown (Chester MRC "O" Guage built one!)

Someone could model Farndon (or Holt...)....another fictitious station, as these places never got a Railway....even though the Ellemere Canal had plans to build canal branches to Holt and / or Farndon, that never got built!  Cambrian and LNWR Joint line, with trains from Whitchurch, Oswestry, and Wrexham Central to Chester and possibly Crewe....and return workings thereof....

Interesting Sarah. Thanks for this bit as it looks interesting. I have decided to minimize the LNWR influence next time although ex-LMS freights would still work through from Whitchurch (chemicals from Warrington for example). The 'expansion' taking place next time consists of trains off the Llanfylyn Branch and cross-country trains to Welshpool. Although essentially in Cambrian territory, I have already made it a red route. But I have been trying to get the bridge engineers to consider an upgrade to double-red !!! Many of today's restored lines did this which is why we routinely see hired-in Pacfics and what-not at gala events. Obviously I fancy a 'King'..!

If there was a link line put in from the GWR Main Line to the Cambrian Railways Oswestry to Whitchurch line, and the (fictitious) Wrexham Hightown to Farndon and the LNWR Crewe to Chester Line is considered built, this then becomes a diversionary route for Shrewsbury to Chester trains...

In fact two diversionary routes are possible. Via Bangor-on Dee Wrexham Hightown and Farndon, or Via Wrexham Central and the link to the GWR Main Line at Wrexham (Fictitious Croes Newydd...or Rhosddu via the GCR actually built...).

(There is also Via Whitchurch....as well as Shrewsbury to Crewe I suppose! ;) )

So, that is how I could justify Red.....but as (I believe) the Kings came off trains at Wolverhampton (Low Level) .....this would require the whole Wolverhampton to Chester Line to be Upgraded to Double Red as well as the diversionary routes....

Possible....probably done in stages....to Shrewsbury, Wrexham, Chester, Diversinary routes?

A reason? Extra heavy traffic?  A possible GWR route to Liverpool or Manchester from Chester??

Archived