Ellesmere North (W.Region 1957)

coachmann

A new addition to the carriage fleet. A resprayed Hornby Collett Bow-Ended corridor brake third.....

attachicon.gifWEB GWR BR respray 2.jpg

I have just got a Bachmann Collett Brake Composite....it is currently in "Shirtbutton" GWR livery....but will be re-badged to the last GWR coach livery as a "through coach" or something on Ffrwd Locks....

Also my collection of Wrexham Area wagons has incresed with the new Dapol "Gresford" wagon, and the new "Two Pack" as well....

(Some earlier posts reffer to "Jenks"....Now I know this is Mr. Jenkinson....but it is also close (He has two extra letters) to my surname! ;) )

A Western Region train on my previous layout Greenfield. Stock consists of 1930, 1949, 1936 and 1950-built coaches behind a much-modified Hornby Duke of Gloucester. This West of England train ran during the summer months in the 1950's picking up at Greenfield and stations along the LNWR Oldham Branch, then via the GCR-LNWR Parkbridge line to OA&GB Junction before diverging to Stockport. The coaches were then added to a mainline train.

attachicon.gifWEB Telephoto 5.jpg

Looks like VERY NICELY LAID Peco Track to me Larry.

• RMweb Gold

............... A D60 70' Toplight 4-compartment brake third is seen on one photo......

A bit after your era, around spring 1967 the Oswestry Signal Gang came down to work on the layout alterations at Duddeston Road for Saltley PSB. Their Mess Van, which was parked opposite Saltley shed for a while, was IIRC a Birdcage Brake complete with original Mansell wheels. Unfortunately I didn't have a decent camera or money for film as well as beer at that time, so I never managed to get a picture. 

Thanks to a fellow member, an Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 arrived today for working the Llanfyllin branch.........No fewer than 22 of these locos were allocated to Oswestry shed at one time. The LMS insignia has been removed and the superstructures washed ready for the sprayshop. A Google search has also uncovered photos of Oswestry station in the BR period - great stuff. All the sash windows are the same in the building that still exists and so I aim to have them etched. The trackplan I will use has an air of complexity which suits my aim to have a station that loosely resembles Oswestry. I still haven't worked out where the goods shed is though. A D60 70' Toplight 4-compartment brake third is seen on one photo.......Now that would be something! Finally, another new GWR coach is being designed on CAD which will be correct.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101593639

Any help?

It's funny to think I never ran my first Ivatt 2-6-0 because it's boiler and chassis became part of a 2-6-2T upgrade. It is also funny to think that Bachmann itself still has not upgraded its tank version! Back in the early 1950's I was walking along the Pensarn-Rhyl main road to collect my dad's morning paper when I saw one of the tenderised Mickey Mouses ambling along light engine behind the caravans. The shape of the Tender convinced me it was an American switcher and of course I embroidered the story adding that it had a cowcatcher! No wonder my dad never believed a word I told him! When I dashed in a few days later to tell him I had seen the Royal train I was kicked out, but in fact I had!  :O

Classic Steam On Shed, by David Hucknall.

Page 70. Oswestry.

In 1948, Oswestry's allocation consisted of 36 locos, including two Manors (Nos 7807/8), five '2251s', four '2300' Class 'Dean Goods' engines, six 'Dukedogs', and sundry other locomotives. By 1959, most of the depots '2251s' had gone elsewhere or been scrapped. No. 7808 went to Newton Abbot but 7807 had been joined by 7800/01/09/19/22 and 27. The predominant locomotive, however, was the Ivatt 2-6-0 of which there were 15, increasing to 22 by the beginning of the 1960s.

The photo on this page shews 2 locos on Shed. One is No. 46511.C1964.

Not in the same class as the Bachmann example pictured above....Some early photos of a Hornby Ivatt (I know it is dimensionally challenged! ;) ).

This second-hand example arrived in GWR Green, with "British Railways" on the tender in GWR Style lettering! :O

post-12119-0-66216500-1455025393_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-29209300-1455025396_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-84646700-1455025398_thumb.jpg

Finished ready for working the Llanfyllin branch passenger train.... out came the sun ....

attachicon.gifWEB Ivatt 2 C.jpg

....Then it went back in again.....

attachicon.gifWEB Ivatt 2 D.jpg

Just spotted the Class 2 transfer has fallen off one side. These pesky transfers are a darned nuisance to stick on.

Larry,

That is quite simply a work of art in my opinion, we had them late in Scotland, replacing 2Ps, Caley 0-6-0s and the like and most of the drivers at Hurlford shed really came to like them! I suspect the comfortable cab helped?

Thanks for bringing back a memory or two of when I learned, although young, that something that is really quite ugly, can be attractive as well!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Much as I like the Bachmann Fairburn 2-6-4T, the plastic footsteps under the cab were vulnerable. Anyway, I've had some some bits added to the most recent new coach sheet as simple to solder-up parts. The bufferbeam is for a separate project....

post-6680-0-87685500-1455050157.jpg

The legs have pegs for fitting into holes drilled in the Bachmann body.....

post-6680-0-55553300-1455050158.jpgpost-6680-0-32488300-1455050159.jpg

The Hornby 'Grange' has a pleasing appearance overall, let down only by its shallow bufferbeam (are the hinge straps too wide apart?). This is a job that has been on my mind for some time and so two weeks ago I asked Adrian to copy a 'Hall' bufferbeam and add it to the next coach etch.......

post-6680-0-42010100-1455059895.jpg 

I eased the tapered buffers off with pliers and put them in the spares box seeing as they are incorrect for this class. Then the rivets were filed flush and the buffer holed elongated towards the bottom of the beam. Then the etched bufferbeam was attached with Loctite. Rectangles of 5 thou black Plastikard were glued over the holes and the holes were opened out with a round file to take Bachmann 36-032 round head sprung buffers......

post-6680-0-80782300-1455059896.jpg

New sprung buffers in place......

post-6680-0-69382500-1455059897.jpg

A new vacuum pipe was bend up from brass and carefully soldered to the base of the bufferbeam......

post-6680-0-63735200-1455059898.jpg

Halfords Acid #8 etch primer was sprayed into a lid and applied by brush over the buffer beam......

post-6680-0-48535500-1455059899.jpg

The finished 'Grange'.....

post-6680-0-34361300-1455059900_thumb.jpg

On Station Names...

There was also a trend for the GWR to name its Stations, in places where there was more than one Station, XXXX General.

So, possibly Oswestry General. (Like Wrexham General, Chester General, etc...)

The original Oswestry had two Stations, the Cambrain one and the GWR one....the GWR was the terminus from Gobowen, whereas the Cambrian was the through ststion on the lines from Wales to Whitchurch via Whittington High Level and Ellemere.

So, possibly, in this reality, the GWR Station was a through Station as well, the Cambrian Station (Alongside the GWR Station, Like Wrexham Exchange (Oswestry Exchange?) was smaller, and after the grouping was relegated to a Goods Station?

I admit I do like Oswestry General.  I hope the model will have the appearance of Oswestry despite lopping off great chunks of the real complex. but there is time yet to consider whether to ditch the Ellesmere North name. 

'The Cambrian Main Line Album' covering Whitchurch to Aberystwyth via Oswestry and Welshpool arrived yesterday and is fully in the tradition of the ex-Foxline albums, now produced by Book Law. Price £23.99, author Derek Lowe has done an excellent job in getting together a collection of really fine black & white photos, many of them reproduced full page, and reproduction cannot be faulted. There is plenty in this 161-page album to satisfy anyone interested in this area and for those seeking track plans of the stations.  Well recommended...

post-6680-0-76177600-1455105792_thumb.jpg

The finished Fairburn Tank with slightly more weathering........Which doesn't show in the poor light at dusk! This loco was initially planned to work passenger trains from Mold into Ellesmere North but basing the next station on Oswestry has rather scotched that idea. I thought I had been photographed on the real 42115 but obviously not....

>SNIPPED

A football special from the LNWR at Crewe via Whitchurch? 

Come on the Alex!  ;)

I'm sorry but I dont usually market such small parts. The remainder of the etched sheet contains parts for a GWR Diagram E147 brake composite. One batch was used to form B-sets while the second batch received normal length buffers both ends for use as stand-alone brake compo's. This is the first test-build standing on Bachmann Pressed-Steel type bogies photographed 10 minutes ago.....

attachicon.gifWEB GWR E147 Bk Compo.jpg

Now then...excuse my ignorance about carriage Diagram Numbers, but am I right in saying that the Diag. E147 is different to the B-Set coaches from Airfix (etc).

Did the Airfix type get normal buffers both ends for "Loose" use?  I am assuming no to that one! ;)  Just a thought!

Now then...excuse my ignorance about carriage Diagram Numbers, but am I right in saying that the Diag. E147 is different to the B-Set coaches from Airfix (etc).

Did the Airfix type get normal buffers both ends for "Loose" use?  I am assuming no to that one! ;)  Just a thought!

The Airfix B-set represents the earlier coaches built during the bow-end period with 7' w.b. plate bogies. E147 was a 1930's design with flat ends and running on 9' w.b. bogies. Short buffers were at the passenger end to facilitate close coupling but standard buffers were fitted to those used as normal brake composites. I am considering two-coach suburban sets for Ellesmere.

Archived