Ellesmere North (W.Region 1957)

coachmann

If you're interested there is are a couple on eBay at the moment. ( sorry can't seem to post the link but if you search you'll find them ).

I'm currently adapting the Peco one with a decoder wired into the motor although it does have a dead section if using sound unlike the Heljan which performs well due to it being dcc enabled.

post-20303-0-08600900-1451828547.jpeg

Please excuse the quality of the photograph !

The motor is from Locomotech.co.uk and is really quiet and slow / smooth to operate although it has to be positioned with the mk.1 eyeball ( more fun !) were as the Fleischmann and Heljan models work to predetermined positions.

Of the two I would choose the Heljan model but please note that if you remove the turntable itself for cleaning you have to reset the box of tricks again.

Hope this helps?

Hi Larry

I've just made a very quick video of the Peco turntable for you to illustrate what happens when using a sound loco without adapting the power source to the tracks. I intend to "cobble up" ( technical phrase) a split ring and use a Frog Juicer to correct the polarity, although it can be done with any other polarity switching device.

Hope you might find this of some use in comparing a ready available dcc turntable.

I know there are others who have successfully used Arduino stuff but I can't get my head around that at the moment as I don't want to be side tracked with more electronics.

https://youtu.be/SnVw6GcckAM

Thanks bgman, and I appreciate you going to all this trouble. Your turntable works very well. Whilst it is perfectly possible to be an all-round modeller, I'm not one and my turntable would end up going through the window. I just want a working turntable that turns a loco round and stops at a couple of spare tracks when I want it to, so I know I'll buy one eventually. Such a devise will be an essential part of operation at the all-new Ellesmere North.

Thanks bgman, and I appreciate you going to all this trouble. Your turntable works very well. Whilst it is perfectly possible to be an all-round modeller, I'm not one and my turntable would end up going through the window. I just want a working turntable that turns a loco round and stops at a couple of spare tracks when I want it to, so I know I'll buy one eventually. Such a devise will be an essential part of operation at the all-new Ellesmere North.

Hello Larry,

You're very welcome, I appreciate your need to turn a locomotive and agree with you. I just wanted a challenge and at certain points mine could well have gone the same way but I figured that a double glazed unit might be a little bit expensive to replace :))

As I'm running "foreign" stock ( despite being GWR orientated ) the flanges on some stock are rather akin to pizza cutters so I did muse over using Code 100 so it'll be interesting to see your track work once you've completed it. Whilst I know there are a great many "debates" concerning the overall look of track, and it's best left on other threads in my opinion, I've seen some excellent layouts produced using weathered code 100 track and at the end of the day it's No. 1 rule for me !

The Plymouth & District MRC produced a layout called Merryfield Lane, GW based, using code 100 and it gave me the inspiration to start building again, albeit early Bavarian.

So.... It only goes to prove to me that if you're happy to use off the shelf stuff and weather it you can be one happy modeller.

Cheers for now and please keep up your interesting and informative posts please.

Regards

Grahame

Afternoon Larry,

Recuperating at home after a hernia operation on New Year's Eve (and me a Scotsman!). Apologies to you and your many followers for the rash of ratings as I try to catch up. I can't argue with your logic when it comes to your planning process, and I've learned so much from the thread in its different manifestations.

The turntable information from several members has been most instructive - if I can reach the level of fitness and funding required to start my planned layout based on Hurlford shed 67B, I will need a model of a 60ft turntable. The investment for the more expensive ones would seem OTT as the table at Hurlford only requires one entrance and exit, so a cosmetically modified version of the one 'bgman' recommended would possibly do, if it looks close enough to a 60ft version! Obviously, if you intend a roundhouse or similar, then it is a different matter.

With best wishes to you for a prosperous 2016,

Kind regards,

Jock.

ADM do one using the Peco kit, Coach. I have one, but you have to have deep pockets or a very generous donor (like I had when it was my 60th birthday! Thank you, SWMBO.)

admturntables.co.uk

or you can make one yourself for a fraction of the price.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78578-dcc-controlled-peco-turntable-project/?p=1223686

I have been looking a the Hornby turntable on YouTube. It 'latches' and stops at every track outlet instead of doing the 160 degrees continuously. It's a toy. Has anyone come across a motorized turntable that behaves like the real thing?

Here is my modified Hornby Turntable...

Re-built from parts (cheap) and a Dapol Kit...The "Geneva" gear drive is a pain....agreed!

post-12119-0-09806800-1452081436_thumb.jpg

I have enjoyed listening to the 8f sounds...good background!

The one thing missing from the video is, of course, the steam and smoke!  Blowing off and cylinder drains with no clouds....wierd! ;)

Friend PGH has suggested I build a turntable but it is not my thing. At the other end of the scale I would not pay £400+  even when the builder undoubtedly deserves the money. So I’ll probably opt for the Heljan.  But long before that happens I have to scrap the present baseboard top and widen the frame to 2 feet for a new top to take Ellesmere (It’ll be more like Oswestry!). There is a lot to do this time around and it will have to be done by the time Mrs.coach has stopped hopping about on crutches and is raring to visit our old haunts once again.... :superman:

• RMweb Gold

Here is an illustration of why I won't spend a lot on track. It's been sunny here today and so the steamed up windows are a give-away  ~  damp!

attachicon.gifWEB Shed damp 1.jpg

Peeling backscenes etc...

attachicon.gifWEB Shed damp 2.jpg

Things could be done to the shed but it will always be damp no matter what. Hiding it behind double walls wont help.

But a dehumidifier might?  (even in North Wales?)

• RMweb Gold

You can get non mechanical ones that use pots of crystals that absorb water moisture. Once used they can either be replaced or some can be microwaved to release the moisture and be reused.

We have these in our sheds at DRAG and they do a good job.

Although I don't have damp in my shed due in no small part to almost £500 worth of insulation and flooring I do have a small Caravan De Humidifier I bought from the Local Hardware Shop for £15 and a £5 pack of Crystals last all winter, I just empty the potty once a week.

EDIT = To say, I haven't needed it this year yet, its only when it gets frosty a -1 degree.

Bachmann has done more homework than I. One Modified Hall has fluted connecting  rods while the other has fluted connecting and coupling rods. Which means I should have discovered what sort of rods the real loco carried had before renaming them. I would have in my pro days, but I couldn't give a crap as much now. In fact I have since changed the tenders around, which is probably another clanger! I'll test the knowledge of those folk following of this thread.......

Did 7922 Salford Hall run with a Hawksworth Tender while in BR green anyone.....?

The Hornby 'Grange' would not pass over the Peco uncoupling ramps. I thought ugh-oh, but it was down to the brake rodding. The leading two legs at right angles to the rodding were immediately shortened and all was well.  I was sweating for a moment though after buying the Code 100 points. One more test remains, that of running the 57XX Pannier over the Insulfrog double slips. I assumed (incorrectly) that these Code 100 slips were also available as Electrofrog. Should the slips prove to be a problem, I will loosely lay the formation according ot D.Jenkinson's plan and see how much more space is required by using points in place of slips. The present weather precludes any outdoor experiments just now though!

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby 'Grange' would not pass over the Peco uncoupling ramps. I thought ugh-oh, but it was down to the brake rodding. The leading two legs at right angles to the rodding were immediately shortened and all was well.  I was sweating for a moment though after buying the Code 100 points. One more test remains, that of running the 57XX Pannier over the Insulfrog double slips. I assumed (incorrectly) that these Code 100 slips were also available as Electrofrog. Should the slips prove to be a problem, I will loosely lay the formation according ot D.Jenkinson's plan and see how much more space is required by using points in place of slips. The present weather precludes any outdoor experiments just now though!

I'd made exactly the same assumption and was fretting about whether I'd be able to sort out the wiring for electrofrog slips and diamonds - no worries now then, just different decisions  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

I'd made exactly the same assumption and was fretting about whether I'd be able to sort out the wiring for electrofrog slips and diamonds - no worries now then, just different decisions  :scratchhead:

If you know how to do those wiring jobs I'd appreciate some advice. (Apologies for thread OT post Coach.)

Phil

• RMweb Premium

If you know how to do those wiring jobs I'd appreciate some advice. (Apologies for thread OT post Coach.)

Phil

No hope of useful help from this source Phil, as a first step I was going to buy two points and a diamond, point motors and those switchy things, and try to wire a double junction on a separate board by trial and error - but as I'm sticking to Code 100 (old locos and rolling stock) there's no point (!) now.

Most of the errors would probably have been soldering - I half understand the theory and would have relied on Brian Lambert's site to fill in the gaps!

Cheers

Chris

Archived