Ellesmere North (W.Region 1957)

coachmann

If you know how to do those wiring jobs I'd appreciate some advice. (Apologies for thread OT post Coach.)

Phil

No problems Phil. So long as no one mentions sausages....  :biggrin_mini2:

Incidentally the wiring for Electrofrog slips and diamonds is on the back of Peco point packaging. I once wired a diamond using on-off toggle switches on a small diagram................ A right round the houses way of doing it but it worked.

When it comes to Peco Code 100 track, I wonder if I am the only one who likes the 'high-iron' solid appearance of this particular track. Obviously it doesn't look all that good under the scrutiny of a digital camera lens, but it is pleasing to the eye...............Well mine anyway bow't glasses...!

• RMweb Premium

No problems Phil. So long as no one mentions sausages....  :biggrin_mini2:

Incidentally the wiring for Electrofrog slips and diamonds is on the back of Peco point packaging. I once wired a diamond using on-off toggle switches on a small diagram................ A right round the houses way of doing it but it worked.

When it comes to Peco Code 100 track, I wonder if I am the only one who likes the 'high-iron' solid appearance of this particular track. Obviously it doesn't look all that good under the scrutiny of a digital camera lens, but it is pleasing to the eye...............Well mine anyway bow't glasses...!

Thanks Larry. I really should be capable of understanding those diagrams.........................I really should have paid attention in Physics half a century ago as well!

Yesterday I almost understood proper sectorisation using isolating 'blocks'. Of course, if I could afford to use DCC from the outset then things would be simpler.

However, there are assistants available to put me on the 'right track' thanks goodness.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

One more test remains, that of running the 57XX Pannier over the Insulfrog double slips. I assumed (incorrectly) that these Code 100 slips were also available as Electrofrog. Should the slips prove to be a problem,

I replaced 4 of the old Peco double slips on Newton on Teign with the latest version , not only

do they look much better but the improvement in through running is a revelation .

I tested the first one using a Model Rail Sentinal , probably the shortest wheelbase loco available

and it ran through in all directions with no hesitation at all , so I don't think you should have any

problems with a 57xx . It certainly saves a lot of fun trying to wire an electrofrog variant .

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry, both my Hornby big tanks, Fowler and Stanier dislike turnouts and occasionally short on diamonds even though mine are hand-built (changing them to switched diamonds at a later date will cure this problem) although I haven't looked at the pick-up wipers to make sure there're making contact.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry, could it be that the thicker profile of code 100 keeps the moulded sleepers flatter than on code 75 slips. I remember my old layout with code 75 slips gave similar problems of stalling locos until pinned down flat. They were banana shaped when first taken out of the box.

Hi Larry, could it be that the thicker profile of code 100 keeps the moulded sleepers flatter than on code 75 slips. I remember my old layout with code 75 slips gave similar problems of stalling locos until pinned down flat. They were banana shaped when first taken out of the box.

Very possibly. The rail is far more substantial in both height and 'flange' width. 

A Hornby R670 6 six wheel van would look good on the new layout.  :spiteful:

Very subtle....       :acute:

:biggrin_mini2:

The Hornby R8243 Surface Mounted Point Motor and the R8244 Automatic uncoupler in the Hornby 'Bundles' look interesting. Has anyone ever used the uncoupler this way or on its own? 

Also I wonder if the surface mounted point motor will work Peco Code 100 points?

No - you're not the only one Coach! You're right of course about the close up camera lens but otherwise I think there is something in the way the brain perceive things when scaled down. Real rail is very solid stuff (like you wouldn't want to bang yer noddle on it!) and Code 100 - viewed from a distance - without glasses(!) - does perhaps convey that? Particularly once the rail sides are painted.

Yes, I was going to say that. I have used Code 75 - and will use it again - but it requires more work to get a level and true running surface as it is less forgiving to local undulations.

Funnily enough, I was doing some test running myself the other night over my dead frog slips with a Hornby J52. Old 'standard' Hornby 0-6-0 mechanism, with sprung rear axle and traction tyres on centre axle (so really only picking up on four wheels) - ie the same mech. as you'll find under Thomas the T.E. No hesitation anywhere!

Incidentally, if you put yer glasses back on Coach and squint hard at the double slips, you'll find that all the rail in the centre is actually Code 75! It's only the outer wing rails and the rails heading away from the frogs that are Code 100. Damn clever those folks at Beer!

Good morning Larry,

The use of Peco 100 was used to great effect in my opinion on the Plymouth clubs Merryfield layout which I saw at the Exeter show some years ago. It was displayed at near to eye level and certainly got my "juices" flowing again. The guys had built the layout to show what could be achieved using r-t-r for both young and old alike with a bit of judicious modelling it shows what can be produced.

Whilst I've hand built various types of track from broad gauge to finescale it did make me think what could be made if you are willing to use that oft used phrase of compromise.

It certainly got me back to modelling in a more serious vain albeit now diverse from GWR to early German stuff.

Two photos of mine taken of Merryfield at the show .....

post-20303-0-50734000-1453285941.jpeg

post-20303-0-25899300-1453285988.jpeg

Still enjoying your build very much :)

Grahame

• RMweb Gold

Nowt wrong with that, and a proper locomotive with proper sound too !

It does look good running especially as it appears none of the track is fixed down. The tender wheels drop into the crossing gap though.

The tender wheels drop into the crossing gap though.

I'd live with that compared to the time it takes to hand build turnouts and "mess about" with gauging all my stock and locos, especially if you have quite a few.

If I have asked this before I apologise. I cannot find the post just now. Does the very latest Hornby 'King' have brake rodding in the pack?

According to the magazine reviews, brake rodding is in the parts pack...

The Hornby R8243 Surface Mounted Point Motor and the R8244 Automatic uncoupler in the Hornby 'Bundles' look interesting. Has anyone ever used the uncoupler this way or on its own? 

Also I wonder if the surface mounted point motor will work Peco Code 100 points?

In theory Hornby and PECO motors are interchangeable....in theory....but PECO does make SM Motors.

The Hornby uncoupler is a ramp with a rod to lift it up. This can be fitted with a surface mount motor for raising and lowering it.

This can be operated by the "under-the-baseboard PECO type motor as well as the Surface Mount motor...

The operating gear is designed to clip to the ends of R.600 straight tracks. (The R.601 Double Straigh uses two R.600 sleeper bases, so it can also be fitted half way along an R.601.)

I cannot see why the ramp has two ridges on it....the old ones were flat! (The CGI illustration used on some sites also has a flat ramp....)

Images here...

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/remote-uncoupler-unit.html

Hornby site...

| Description

Uncouple wagons and coaches remotely using the R8244 Uncoupler Unit.  Fits where two Hornby R600 straights join or half way along a Hornby R601 Double Straight.

For electrical operation use an R8243 surface mounted point motor or an R8014 point motor which is required to be fitted beneath the base board.  Ideal unit for Hornby Digital operation but can be operated by analogue DC.

Please note that this product does not come with a Surface Mounted Point Motor. This product is available here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rveTsSjeqfo

No 'stay alive' fitted to any of the locos. Excuse dark picture bu it was shot today in poor light and the 1/30th second minimum for movie limited the aperture to f8, which I raised to give more depth of field.

Thanks Larry,

That Pannier runs very nicely indeed, and I was most impressed by the sound - which makes a change for me!

Regards,

Dave

Filming, panning, zooming, focusing and operating the locomotives with only two hands is a daft way of spending Sunday morning, especially when I came away with sweet nothing after 23 attempts!  An under-point solenoid had hammered one of the key turnouts to death so it was binned. No more under-baseboard solenoids that can't be got to. A temporary point will be inserted in the complex tomorrow just to keep the layout going  a couple more weeks for sound trials.

Archived