Dapol 00 Gauge LSWR B4

ndg910

• RMweb Gold
On 28/03/2020 at 17:34, Calidore said:

I hate to be that person, but... Have Dapol got 30096 wrong?

I was just checking some photos to make sure she was in the same condition during the 50s as she was during the later years, intending to change the late crest for an early when the new batch are available.

It looks, during both periods, like the plated-over cab front panels were joined with straight seams rather than the curved ones represented on the model.

I agree re the front of the cab; have however just found the following for the rear: -

30096 - Adams LSWR Class B4 0-4-0T - built 11/1893 by Nine Elms Works as LSWR No.96 - 12/50 to BR No.30096 - 10/63 withdrawn from 71A Eastleigh, where seen 1962.

image.png.6ff433b19106fd7eb51b1b4721370631.png

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, jafcreasey said:

I agree re the front of the cab; have however just found the following for the rear: -

30096 - Adams LSWR Class B4 0-4-0T - built 11/1893 by Nine Elms Works as LSWR No.96 - 12/50 to BR No.30096 - 10/63 withdrawn from 71A Eastleigh, where seen 1962.

image.png.6ff433b19106fd7eb51b1b4721370631.png

Yes, agreed, the rear is correct. It almost seems like someone looked at the rear cab arrangement and assumed it was the same at the front. Sounds highly implausible but I can’t find a single photo of 30096 or 30093 in the condition of the model.

Adam

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/04/2020 at 10:48, Wickham Green too said:

There will probably always be a need for something small to give brakevan rides - whether that be P, A1X or Normandy !

However the Ps and A1Ax are fine for 25mph and thus can be used on ordinary trains too.

As the railway found out a few years ago during a motive power crisis (the only things available were the U boat and Baxter) trying to use a low speed shutter on ordinary services does not end well.

• Informative/Useful 1

Suddenly finding myself really fancying one of these. Anyone heard any updates on ETA? Rails et al still seem to be expecting them this month but given the sitch, and with only 2 days left of April I can't help but feel that seems increasingly unlikely.

19 minutes ago, Locksley said:

Suddenly finding myself really fancying one of these. Anyone heard any updates on ETA? Rails et al still seem to be expecting them this month but given the sitch, and with only 2 days left of April I can't help but feel that seems increasingly unlikely.

Dapol have been very quiet about these, even to the point of not showing updated livery samples. Afaik, no updates. 

They normally don't say much until they are about to arrive/have arrived and are being despatched to retailers so it's anyone's guess atm. They've posted this week the animated water towers have arrived so they have had a delivery recently. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Dapol have been very quiet about these, even to the point of not showing updated livery samples. Afaik, no updates. 

They normally don't say much until they are about to arrive/have arrived and are being despatched to retailers so it's anyone's guess atm. They've posted this week the animated water towers have arrived so they have had a delivery recently. 

Yeah, I noticed the water towers which made me slightly more hopeful. I did message Dapol on FB last Friday about the B4 but haven't recieved a reply yet.

3 minutes ago, Locksley said:

Yeah, I noticed the water towers which made me slightly more hopeful. I did message Dapol on FB last Friday about the B4 but haven't recieved a reply yet.

I found sometimes commenting on their posts has a better chance of a reply being more public. But probably depends who's looking over the page one the day. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

From Hattons email received two minutes ago:-

Dapol have advised that their new batch of OO gauge LSWR Class B4 0-4-0T locomotives are due in stock within the next few days! 

Cheers and Stay Safe

On 15/04/2020 at 15:55, Calidore said:

Yes, agreed, the rear is correct.

I cannot agree, I'm afraid; the rear RH cut-out does not match Dapol's rendition.

image.png.104b9831ab4a31946b78e9f38f76c5a5.png

30096_05.jpg.303c33084e0aa617cea5deefa8043380.jpg

The Dapol cab front does not, as you point out, match any of the prototypes in BR days.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I cannot agree, I'm afraid; the rear RH cut-out does not match Dapol's rendition.

The Dapol cab front does not, as you point out, match any of the prototypes in BR days.

John Isherwood.

Quite right; I didn't want to appear to be picking too many holes all at once in my initial post, but you are correct! The general arrangement of the panels, if not the actual shape, is at least accurate.

Why the positioning of lamp brackets remains such a sticking point in a lot of RTR models is beyond me, though.

Adam

Edited by Calidore

38 minutes ago, Calidore said:

Why the positioning of lamp brackets remains such a sticking point in a lot of RTR models is beyond me, though.

Because the manufacturer doesn't wish to tool options for the different variations in lamp iron location.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Locksley said:

I can hear my wallet screaming at me from the other room.

Indeed. I already have two examples. I do not need another.....want is of course something entirely different. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm going through my stock of 'quickly opened and tested' models and discovering problems!

My B4 normandy has a cab that leans BACKWARDS (rather than forwards which was commented on this thread). I sense the support wires at the front introduced some tension in assembly and the whole things leans back. One support arm is loose (cab front slides slightly through it), the other is tight and forcing the lean. But when I try to push things forward, the bottom half of the back sheet does not slide and stays leaning backwards.

Has anyone found a way to get the cab off? I sense the whole things needs a clean up of joins and careful regluing.

Any advice???

Other than this she is a LOVELY model.

Update - I have managed to get the cab roof off and nearly got the back sheet off. I sense the front sheet is not straight and that was causing the rest of assembly to be skewed. Not impressed.

No idea how the cab front sheet fits on...

Bit disappointing really.

And the loco is noticably off-black on bright light - its more of a very dark grey than actual black...

On 12/05/2020 at 12:01, NHY 581 said:

Indeed. I already have two examples. I do not need another.....want is of course something entirely different. 

Rob. 

And this time we have a full K4 variant........ oh , guess what I ordered. I said 2 was enough, currently own 3 with a 4th to come....

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

And this time we have a full K4 variant........ oh , guess what I ordered. I said 2 was enough, currently own 3 with a 4th to come....

I feel your pain.....

Indeed, my plan for Guernsey is to paint over all the silvered bits like hand rails and cylinder covers as to me they look tacky. 

If I can replace the stovepipe chimney I wouldn't mind renaming to Normandy as it was at the Bluebell for a period. DCC supplies who are Dapols spares agent sadly don't have the chimneys as spares. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My three of the latest batch, Guernsey, No 87 in Sunshine and 30089, have also just arrived from our friends at Kernow.

Having already have 2 out of 5 arrive in the past dead on arrival, that I fixed myself, I was careful on removing these. 
With Guernsey the cab rear panel was not seated properly leaving one of the handrails loose, but easily rectified. 
No 87 has both rear sandboxes with pipes loose in the packaging so will need gluing in place. 
Weathering is definitely needed and will add to my fleet for Canute Road Quay through the ages. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2