Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lunesters, Each year Slaidburn, where I am now Rector, has a small but perfectly formed steam and classic vehicle rally. Here are some photos of the steam bit for your enjoyment.

post-16241-0-16602300-1465649328_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-18181700-1465649334_thumb.jpg

Burrell Steam Roller 1913

post-16241-0-56660000-1465649339_thumb.jpg

Sentinel Steam Waggon 1934

post-16241-0-17577800-1465649345_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-94263400-1465649351_thumb.jpg

Brown & May Portable Engine c1860

post-16241-0-60413700-1465649359_thumb.jpg

Foster Traction Engine 1910

post-16241-0-34128900-1465649368_thumb.jpg

Burrell Steam Tractor 1919

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 11

• 2 months later...

29115456821_c737f6b848_c.jpgDaniel on The Canadian by Peach James, on Flickr

So, as I posted in the proper thread, we went for a ride on The Canadian, from Vancouver to Jasper.  For the princely sum of $200, the two of us were right on time in Jasper.  Daniel seemed to enjoy his time on the train, not sure how well he'd do going the whole way across to LongLac (or Toronto), but, he seemed to enjoy the 20 or so hours we were on the train.  It is _so_ different a way to travel than any of the alternatives.

James

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Good to see the asylum is back in action again - I've not had a lot to say myself recently, but have been checking any posts when they pop up.

I. for one, miss Jock's contributions and his erudite comments on this topic and others, as he did a lot to enrich our online conversations.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good to see the asylum is back in action again - I've not had a lot to say myself recently, but have been checking any posts when they pop up.

I. for one, miss Jock's contributions and his erudite comments on this topic and others, as he did a lot to enrich our online conversations.

Yes, we all miss Jock. He was certainly a catalyst for discussion.

It's heart-wrenching when you read his comments on layout threads, knowing that he never got the chance to put his ideas into practice.

He was also very keen on my other main hobby - astronomy - and initiated loads of interesting topics on here. It's all gone very quiet since he passed away.

Jeff

A rare visit from me but I do have a note from my Mum sir. :mosking:

I only popped onto the forum back March/April to read about Jock and just couldn't be bothered to post anything, this followed a long period of illness and Lindas deteriorating health.

I suffered several months of 'Medically Unidentified Symptoms' which just left me feeling pretty down about things but all seems well again now, it's now just the wifes needs that keep me tied up and short of time.

I'd better have a quick look around and even update my own thread which is sadly neglected.

I hope all is well with everyone else.

Jim

A rare visit from me as well. Lots of things happening over the last few months including promotion which has brought far more work and a few headaches but things are moving forward rapidly.

I'm hoping that things will slow down by Christmas.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A rare visit from me as well. Lots of things happening over the last few months including promotion which has brought far more work and a few headaches but things are moving forward rapidly.

I'm hoping that things will slow down by Christmas.

Congrats, Duncan.

Just manage what you can manage and keep in touch!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I have been very busy with major work on the house and so have reduced the number of threads I try to keep up with. I do pop in to KL2 now and then to see the excellent progress.

Don

• 1 month later...

Another bit of work done on the fortress of solitude:

30344799692_77e128e2d3_c.jpgIMG_2296 by Peach James, on Flickr

The tree fort "for the kids" :).  It's 10' off the ground at the low end, 13' at the high end, has a seasonal creek running under it, all kinds of fun :)

WOW James, I'd love to be one of your Kids mate, that's superb.

• RMweb Gold

Another bit of work done on the fortress of solitude:

30344799692_77e128e2d3_c.jpgIMG_2296 by Peach James, on Flickr

The tree fort "for the kids" :).  It's 10' off the ground at the low end, 13' at the high end, has a seasonal creek running under it, all kinds of fun :)

Wow, James what a great hide-away - its created a sudden rush on the Asylum - hope it doesn't rain too much when they want to play, cheers, Peter BB

Oops edit a spelling mistake that changes the idea completely ... now corrected.  PBB

Edited by PeterBB

Nice hide away.

When we moved into this house 4 years ago,a neighbour told me theres a ww2 bomb shelter underneath the lawn in the back garden....

Curiosity got the better of me.....a few hours later...found it.

The missus was fuming when she came home from work and id dug a massive hole right in the middle of the lawn that used to look like a bowling green.

85104AFD-EA8E-457E-98D9-0222710DE87F-177

Ben

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A 'friendly supportive' shelter Ben ... condensation on the ceiling and spiders webs galore but what a man-space it will be when sorted and dry.  Remember ours and also sleeping under an anderson shelter as well as the lucky escape when under the sink when the windows were blown-in unlike a number of people in two roads near us as well as those in the demolished Cambridge Arms.

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cumbria S4 and Fylde S4 groups held a mini Expo at one of my local village halls today. Hope you enjoy the photos.

P4 blue diesel goods yard. The photos do not do the buildings justice.

post-16241-0-45939800-1477754777_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-43607200-1477754808_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-33105700-1477754821_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-69033900-1477754840_thumb.jpg

Ian "Clecklewyke" last outing for Royston Vasey

post-16241-0-72662400-1477754953_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-29375500-1477754966_thumb.jpg

Amalgamated Wagon Works in 7 mm

post-16241-0-74655800-1477754999_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-36476400-1477755047_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-90806900-1477755068_thumb.jpg

Un-named shunting plank in P4

post-16241-0-97864200-1477755085_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-06291800-1477755143_thumb.jpg

There was even a layout on an ironing board (I just hope he asked if he could borrow it!!)

post-16241-0-06573200-1477755190_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-86882000-1477755207_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 11

• 1 month later...

My dear wife had arranged for us to go to an Xmas dinner by the local MS Society, all paid for except for drinks, we had a great time and a good laugh even though we had not met any of the folk before who were there.

The following day after I had cooked lunch my wife got some chocolates out that she took the previous day for a raffle prize that was not used, she commented that she thought it strange as well as the fact they bought us a drink. I asked her for the letter and could not not help but smile as I told her that she had got the date wrong and we were then supposed to be attending the dinner and went to a completely different one the previous day.

I've no idea whose dinner we went to but we were made most welcome, given a small free gift and told that they looked forward to seeing us again. Best free lunch we have ever been to.

But I was gutted that I had just cooked a lunch I didn't need to had we realised earlier..

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year from Jim & Linda (the oldest gate crashers in town)

Edited by aberdare
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Christmas modelling. It's either a time when we get nothing done due to other commitments or get the chance to put a few hours in.

I've had a couple of days off this week so managed the latter and have mostly been faffing around with paints.

Here's a wooden bodied mineral wagon. It is a Parkside kit and the weathering is based on a colour photo in a book, albeit one taken from a short distance, of an Austerity hauling a short train composed of an ex-LNER fitted van, said wooden bodied mineral and an ex-SR pillbox brake van, heading from Thornton back to Bradford on the Queensbury lines in the early 60's. The mineral has more replacement planks than originals by the looks of it. The wagon was first painted in unfitted grey and then the interior and selected external planks painted & dry brushed with Life Colour acrylics. Once fully dry, a rather thick wash was applied to the whole wagon and then removed with cotton buds. The last step was to pick out the ironwork with a mix of Humbrol enamels; Matt Black and Leather.

post-9707-0-73354900-1482574065_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Christmas modelling. It's either a time when we get nothing done due to other commitments or get the chance to put a few hours in.

I've had a couple of days off this week so managed the latter and have mostly been faffing around with paints.

Here's a wooden bodied mineral wagon. It is a Parkside kit and the weathering is based on a colour photo in a book, albeit one taken from a short distance, of an Austerity hauling a short train composed of an ex-LNER fitted van, said wooden bodied mineral and an ex-SR pillbox brake van, heading from Thornton back to Bradford on the Queensbury lines in the early 60's. The mineral has more replacement planks than originals by the looks of it. The wagon was first painted in unfitted grey and then the interior and selected external planks painted & dry brushed with Life Colour acrylics. Once fully dry, a rather thick wash was applied to the whole wagon and then removed with cotton buds. The last step was to pick out the ironwork with a mix of Humbrol enamels; Matt Black and Leather.

attachicon.gifIMG_4490.JPG

Very good, Jason. It must seem unnatural having a bit of spare time!

How are my anhydrite wagons coming along?!  :O  :O

Jeff

Yes, I've been told to take some time off from the business.... But guess what I'm doing today..... yep fixing transfers on various mineral wagons that were painted last spring... Might even get time for a thin coat of varnish next week then try a bit of weathering that I haven't done for years.

All the best guys.

Dave Franks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Part two in the hugely ignored 'what modelling I did at Christmas' theme.

A very rusty LNER built hopper

post-9707-0-60474800-1482957061_thumb.jpg

Two 5 planks; one BR built Hybar and one LMS built variant with J suspension, no tarpaulin bar and clasp brakes

post-9707-0-30157000-1482957185_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Part two in the hugely ignored 'what modelling I did at Christmas' theme.

A very rusty LNER built hopper

attachicon.gifIMG_4501.JPG

Two 5 planks; one BR built Hybar and one LMS built variant with J suspension, no tarpaulin bar and clasp brakes

attachicon.gifIMG_4503.JPG

Not bad for RTR, Jason! :-) :P

So I've given you a like for skill in opening the box...

You'll get me building kits again...

Jeff

Edit: I feel guilty - very nice work.

Edited by Physicsman