Whittaker St, Western Region

Andrew P

Hi Andy,

Great to see that you're up & running again, already! I like the name although I was partial to "Warburton" for some bizarre reason! Maybe I thought I could have done something along the lines of "Allinson"! I do think "Wholemeal" would have been too much though! (sorry!).

Anyway, keep feeling good about this, I hope it serves you well.

Cheers,

John.

• RMweb Premium

Name Change to Whittaker St.

Well Ferry St just didn't do it for me, and now as I try to name my Layouts with a Family meaning I have gone for Whittaker St, Whittaker being my Wife's Maiden Name, and I have also left its location more vague as again I felt I was tying myself down as I did with Bitton.

Thanks Guys for all supporting me again.

You need tying down to stop you going off in a different direction every time you go in the potting shed. :rtfm: :no2: :yes: :fool: xD :sclerosis: :wild: :fie:

Hi Andy,

I enjoy your enthusiasm, and your rate of application, it's like a breath of fresh air mate, and so enjoyable to see and read. You just need to remember two things,

1) Make sure you are doing what your doing to enhance your enjoyment of the hobby (Rule 1 applies).

2) Don't forget your health with all this activity, after all, it's no enjoyment if you're housebound because you've knackered yourself up!!!

All in all though Andy, I like the plan, nice and flowing, and you can't beat the view of a loco and a few coaches snaking their way into a station, and now I know why you were asking for measurements from Wrexbury!!!!

I think a bit of your changing is rubbing off as I'm about (I think) to make a serious change in direction with my projects, but I'll post something up in due course!!!

Jinty ;-)

Nice to see two lines in front of the signalbox - trackplan looking good.

Just a reminder of the two trap-points you'll need Andy.......... :sungum:

Sorry, make that three.

Or even four, if the branch is "freight only" now Andy.

WOT! :O

Trap Points? :no:

Naaaa I'll have to make some up later as cosmetic I think.

Where would they go? (apart rom the dustbin that is). :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  

May need to order some on Wednesday if I cant make any that look O.K.

I'd be inclined to give the shorter platform (the one you've labelled "2") a slightly overgrown/down at heel look to it. Though still used by the occasional passenger train, I think by the date you're modelling, most of the traffic would be concentrated on the longer platform.

• RMweb Gold

I would agree with Peter on the Trap points but be inclined to leave the Branch one aout as you may want to run some passenger trains down there. HAve the branch service suspended but still usuable for specials.  You could make your own catch points easier than making points  or are you using Peco track for this? In reality I would have expected the yard sidings to have joined with the oil siding and then have a short headshunt alonside the branch with a crossover to the main/branch. Now assuming the headshunt and crossover has been rationalised there could just be a turnout onto the branch and it it was frieght only it wouldn't need a trap. It would also mean any frieghts running into platform 2 then the yard shunter could draw of the freight up the branch and then set back into the yard/oil siding as required loco then departs for the stabling. You need to lay it out and see if it works visually.

Don

Morning Andy,

Why not produce a small version of Fareham, its a small yard , and a junction towards the north to go to Southampton, and a north to towards Eastleigh, could have a few possibilities there i think

Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff, Many moons ago when I lived down there I started to write a book on Track Plans taking Prototype for example for each one and Faeham was one of them. I cant find the notes now, (pre computers) but I still have the Plans somewhere in my archive I think.

Nice idea but alas,not for me.

• RMweb Gold

This looks like another cracking proper railway.

Thanks for sharing Andy - in for th eride, looking forwards to more progress

Phil

Evening All, well not as much done as I'd hoped for today due to the lovely weather, but I have laid the Points for the Stabling Point, again, each point is hard wired and with its own droppers as is the track so NO FISHPLATE will carry electricity, so no bad track connections. and no point will rely on a point blade for power. 

post-9335-0-71091600-1430763373_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-66442900-1430763392_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-05618300-1430763413_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-00023300-1430763430_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-57539300-1430763446_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-47234400-1430763468_thumb.jpg

I'm sure our signalling friends can go into greater detail, but...

Trap Points - stops vehicles moving FORWARD fouling the running lines. They are "trapped" before reaching the running lines. Invariably worked by a signalbox/ground frame.

Catch points - often found on inclines to catch breakaways running BACKWARDS down the slope. Usually unworked, spring loaded with an "S" sign prior to them to denote "Switch",

Both types can be single bladed (like the PECO one) or double bladed. Catch points much less common than in the days of unfitted freight trains. Both types can be associated with sand-drags in more high-speed or steeper locations.

Andy,

A trap point is required here to stop locos coming off the stabling point and fouling the running line.

attachicon.gifpost-9335-0-00023300-1430763430_thumb1.jpg

It'd be worked by the same lever in the signalbox that works points +

Locos coming off shed would wait here *

Would there be a Ground Frame Signal there as well?

Archived