Whittaker St, Western Region

Andrew P

Cheers all for all your observations and comments, WS will be built the way I've always built layouts in the past but keep to as near prototype as possible and changes will be made as was the case of the protective point on the exit to the Stabling Point.

Off out again shortly and then probably back on here again about 2AM. whilst watching the results come in.

SAD OR WHAT? :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  

Bye, looks like no fun

Sorry, but after all the pedantry of the sand drags I was just having a bit of light hearted banter, not the intention to start another riot.

Sense of humour was obviously lost.

Think I shall be joining Clive.

Cheers all for all your observations and comments, WS will be built the way I've always built layouts in the past but keep to as near prototype as possible and changes will be made as was the case of the protective point on the exit to the Stabling Point.

Off out again shortly and then probably back on here again about 2AM. whilst watching the results come in.

SAD OR WHAT? :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  

I hope with all the toing and froing and excitement of the day that you remembered to vote :jester:

• RMweb Gold

You cannot win Andy one man's amusing suasage quip is another's irritating twaddle.  This needs to be your build but some input is useful. Peter suggesting a short spur would be more useful was spot on. While the Sand drag would have made an interesting model it would have added little to the operation.

Marion is thinking of watching the results tonight she is hoping the major parties get a big shock. Could we get a UKip/Green/Scottish National coalition :jester:  :jester:  :nono:  :nono: 

Don

Ah! So there you are!!! This going AWOL is not much fun I've missed all the excitement. One quick observation gives the impression you will have much fun doing what you like to do - and Mr PECO will also be pleased again Hahaha. :jester:

Will keep an eye on you now matey, best wishes.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

Serious head on.

There is no need for the sand drag. If both points as marked on the diagram below are worked by the same lever then the point on the headshunt is your trap point. When set so it is pointing to the running line the other point will be pointing towards the headshunt so anything coming off the headshunt is expected on the running lines.

post-16423-0-39963200-1431041275_thumb.png

Two other concerns are

1. The use of a London and  North Eastern Railway type 16 signal box on the Western Region.

2. No headshunt for the main yard. Every shunt move would require the running lines to be occupied and the signal man to be working the points and signals. 

It is your model.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

Serious head on.

There is no need for the sand drag. If both points as marked on the diagram below are worked by the same lever then the point on the headshunt is your trap point. When set so it is pointing to the running line the other point will be pointing towards the headshunt so anything coming off the headshunt is expected on the running lines.

attachicon.gifmr p layout.png

Two other concerns are

1. The use of a London and  North Eastern Railway type 16 signal box on the Western Region.

2. No headshunt for the main yard. Every shunt move would require the running lines to be occupied and the signal man to be working the points and signals. 

It is your model.

I would be very surprised for it to be arranged like that - you would normally trap, especially if working both ends off the same lever, with the points nearest to the running line.  In any case I would think a sand drag would be very unusual in that situation on the Western - far more likely would be a very substantial stop block encased in a lot of solid concrete or stonework (lovely example at west Ealing in a very similar situation once upon a time (Peco stop block and some Wills or whoever's stonework built up around the back of it).

Quite agree about the LNER (!!!!) signalbox.  As far as shunting out of the yard onto the branch is concerned it happened - at one yard where I worked in the 1970s we could only shunt one part of it by shunting across a double track branchline; ok so that bit only had a pilot turn in the afternoon and it didn't need to get out all that often but it happened, and our weekly throughput was measured in thousands of wagons, not just shunting a few sidings.

Hi Andy

Serious head on.

attachicon.gifmr p layout.png

Two other concerns are

It is your model.

I would be very surprised for it to be arranged like that - you would normally trap, especially if working both ends off the same lever, with the points nearest to the running line.  In any case I would think a sand drag would be very unusual in that situation on the Western - far more likely would be a very substantial stop block encased in a lot of solid concrete or stonework (lovely example at west Ealing in a very similar situation once upon a time (Peco stop block and some Wills or whoever's stonework built up around the back of it).

Quite agree about the LNER (!!!!) signalbox.  As far as shunting out of the yard onto the branch is concerned it happened - at one yard where I worked in the 1970s we could only shunt one part of it by shunting across a double track branchline; ok so that bit only had a pilot turn in the afternoon and it didn't need to get out all that often but it happened, and our weekly throughput was measured in thousands of wagons, not just shunting a few sidings.

Hi Cheers Clive and Mike, Thanks again for all the info on the Exit Points and I will switch the Main Exit Point onto the Main Line and the one to the Short stub by the Signal Box on one switch to protect the main.

Re the Signal Box, I had no idea that it was LNER Box, it actually looked quite like a Southern one to me, (just shows what I know about the real railways). I may look to change that but I want a modernish / 70's style Box so not sure what else there is out there.

Cheers Clive for coming back in mate, you were so valuable to the Bitton build in many many ways.

Ah! So there you are!!! This going AWOL is not much fun I've missed all the excitement. One quick observation gives the impression you will have much fun doing what you like to do - and Mr PECO will also be pleased again Hahaha. :jester:

Will keep an eye on you now matey, best wishes.

Hi Mike, Yes saving the Hand built Points and SMP Track for the BR / WR BLT.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cheers Clive and Mike, Thanks again for all the info on the Exit Points and I will switch the Main Exit Point onto the Main Line and the one to the Short stub by the Signal Box on one switch to protect the main.

Re the Signal Box, I had no idea that it was LNER Box, it actually looked quite like a Southern one to me, (just shows what I know about the real railways). I may look to change that but I want a modernish / 70's style Box so not sure what else there is out there.

Cheers Clive for coming back in mate, you were so valuable to the Bitton build in many many ways.

Alas there is nothing suitably 'Western' for a 1970s signalbox on the market that I know of.  However a bloke with your skill could quite possibly build one as the 'boxes of that era on the Western were relatively simple structures known as 'plywood wonders;  excellent example here on RMweb in the shape of Penhallick Jcn,  page 2 in this thread -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67126-modern-western-region-signal-boxes/page-2

There was also a partly brick built version, seen here -

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwr_everd1677.htm

attachicon.gifBlue and Modern Diesels 007.JPG

My interest in Railways both real and Model came in 1977 and living near Portsmouth as I did at the time, it was trips to Fratton, Chichester, (in my work Lunch Hour) and Fareham that I saw many 33's 47's and 50's all in banger Blue, so this is a chance to re create the period if not an actual location.

Cracking plan, and love the flowing curves at the station throat.

Looks like you've put a lot of effort into detailing and weathering your diesels. Constructive feedback - a prominent feature on 47s in the 421-585 number range is that the ETH receptacle is mounted on top of the buffer beam, not alongside the buffer as depicted on your model. On a lesser note, if accuracy is important you might want to check whether 560 ever had its plated over headcode panels painted black. I personally don't recall this, but doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Keep up the good work - have followed many of your threads with much enjoyment.

I'm not too sure about Her Indoors letting Andy stay up to watch the election results, especially so close to the Potting Shed. He'll probably be halfway through the next layout by the time the rest of us open our bleary eyes tomorrow ah, later today!

Regards

Bill (I don't care who wins, I'm going to bed NOW! :drag: )

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy,

As for Western region signal boxes, Churchward models do a lovely kit, usually in brass. A touch dear, but worth it for the detail.

Now owned by Phoenix-Precision, can be found here: http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/churchward-models.html

Jinty ;-)

http://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strParents=3340,3344&CAT_ID=3345&P_ID=17785

http://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strParents=3340,3344&CAT_ID=3345&P_ID=18141

http://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strParents=3340,3344&CAT_ID=3345&P_ID=17814

I liitle easier to find in most model shops than the one my mate Chris has on his list . 

Cracking plan, and love the flowing curves at the station throat.

Looks like you've put a lot of effort into detailing and weathering your diesels. Constructive feedback - a prominent feature on 47s in the 421-585 number range is that the ETH receptacle is mounted on top of the buffer beam, not alongside the buffer as depicted on your model. On a lesser note, if accuracy is important you might want to check whether 560 ever had its plated over headcode panels painted black. I personally don't recall this, but doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Keep up the good work - have followed many of your threads with much enjoyment.

Thanks 47449, re the ETH bit, I bought the Loco second hand and it was already fitted, I will address the issue, thanks for the info. And as for 560, again, that's a Factory finish, so if its wrong then that's down to the Manufacturers.

Cheers for your info and guidance.

Thanks Clive, I will probably have to have a closer look at one of the first two above, I did like the one I have but I agree, it would be to far away from the West Country.

The final decision will also be affected by the Terminus Building I select, The one I fancy is this Modern Image Bachmann Product due out soon. 440013.

post-9335-0-46832900-1431074570.jpg

That Bachmann modern station building is out now Andy (Hattons and others have it in stock). It does look good and very typical.

I've decided to keep the Post War Signal Cabin even though it MAY be wrong for the Western Region but looks good to me. I will repaint the Hand Rails white or black, the Gutters black and Doors in blue or white.

post-9335-0-60100200-1431166355_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-31461100-1431166374_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-62982200-1431166386_thumb.jpg

I've also ordered the Post War Generic Station Building as I feel it shouts Blue Period and beyond and will suit Whittaker St really well and be something different to the norm here on RM Web.

post-9335-0-56479300-1431166552.jpg

More pics late of the platforms etc.

Archived