Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

I started to weather the WR van last night, and used weathering liquids and powders. wiping most of it all off again. I then got up early this morning and gently blew some frame dirt and black over the body and chassis.

attachicon.gifTal 181.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 182.jpg

I'm going to give it some chalk marks and then matt varnish it all over the weekend. I just hope I don't have the same problems I did with the varnish!!!

Jinty ;)

Nice weathering. Just enough...

Yes I agree, once the madness ends eh, maybe have an exchange at the same time!!!

He doesn't live up any steep hills does he? As this little 206 has about as much horsepower as the BMW's starter motor!!!! :jester:

Jinty ;)

I will meet you at sea level and you can come in my "un"green 4x4

Watching a video 'From Bewdley to Blaenau' and the station nameboard at Talyllyn Junction appears to have the usual brownish maroon backing in 1959 applied in GWR days, although I have also seen photos of this station in the usual Western Region colours.

Hi Coachman,

It was that video that gave me the idea for Talyllyn Junction. It gave the operation of both WR and LMR stock and locos over the route and 0-6-0 tender locos with just 3 coaches because of the grades, so I'll be able to run prototypical length trains (to a degree).

I have found that there was quite a traffic of cattle from the farms around Talyllyn village to market. The wagons were loaded from the siding adjacent to platform 1.

I have a nice open space in my garage now, and markings have been made and test drilling has commenced for the railway height through the wall (to Brecon).

Once the hole is put into the wall, I can start laying the framing for the boards. I've decided that the layout will be accessible from both sides, with a duck under. That should create some interesting photo opportunities.

I'll take some pictures once there is something tangible to show.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Watching a video 'From Bewdley to Blaenau' and the station nameboard at Talyllyn Junction appears to have the usual brownish maroon backing in 1959 applied in GWR days, although I have also seen photos of this station in the usual Western Region colours.

Is that the video / dvd that I still have in my possession and haven't watched yet ???

Craig.

• Like 1

"I have a nice open space in my garage now, and markings have been made and test drilling has commenced"

Hope your not fracking :)

Looking forward to your layout build

Brian

I too am looking forward to your layout build. If it goes at a fraction of the speed you are building stock you will have it running before Christmas.

Rod

Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

Yes, I wish. The stock is easy, it's the layout and the carpentry that'll finish me off!!!!

That said, I've drilled a square of holes through the concrete block, where the hole is going to go, and although I can find my lump hammer, can I find my bolster chisel????? No, disappeared, in the great abyss somewhere!!!

Oh well, I'll have to go back to the WB for this evening, and buy a new one tomorrow.

Jinty ;)

Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

Yes, I wish. The stock is easy, it's the layout and the carpentry that'll finish me off!!!!

That said, I've drilled a square of holes through the concrete block, where the hole is going to go, and although I can find my lump hammer, can I find my bolster chisel????? No, disappeared, in the great abyss somewhere!!!

Oh well, I'll have to go back to the WB for this evening, and buy a new one tomorrow.

Jinty ;)

If you'd have drilled the breeze block properly & accurately you should just be able to push the waste out with your pinky  :nono:

If you'd have drilled the breeze block properly & accurately   :nono:

What's that then??? :jester:

I just attacked it with a whopping masonry drill and put holes about 3/4" apart all around.

3 of the sides are mortar, so really there will only be the one stubborn bit.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jintyman.

Don't worry about baseboards they are relatively straight forward especially for a guy like you. If the layout is permanted it can be built like Ramchester with L girder construction. This is probably the easiest way to build a good foundation for the layout. The L girder can be made up from 75mm x 25mm timber topped with 50mm x 25mm timber screwed together to form an L section. You will need one for each side of the layout and perhaps a third if the baseboard is wider than about 2ft 6in. The L girders are supported on 50mm x 50mm legs. Next simply screw cross timbers to the L girder (attach to the 50mm x 25mm bits of the girder at about 40cm intervals and hey presto you have the foundations. Remember that the cross bearers can extend beyond the L girders to give a wider baseboard in places. I used this method on Ramchester with the track bed cut out of 12mm ply and this has proved to be very successful. if you can use a screw driver and an electric drill there is no simpler way of construction. This type of construction has the advantage that should a cross bearer foul a eg point motor it is a simple matter to move the cross bearer across a bit to clear it. It is also possible to drop the scenery below track level without too much carpentry. As they say in the advert "simples".

It would be much more difficult if the layout is to be portable as you would need to build frames, etc with all the problem em of getting everything square or if a idd shaped board is required cutting the timbers to the correct angle.

Hope this is useful to you but if I can be of help please ask.

Rod

• RMweb Premium

Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

Jinty ;)

Best way to find a lost item is to buy a replacement. That completely guarantees that the original will miraculously reappear... 

It's been a rather busy week or so, some major work done in the outhouse next to the garage, where the line will go through. Needed re-felting, and some remedial work to the wooden framework.

A new job, but I had to get all my paperwork in order for my last job, before I left, so not much done on the WB.

The hole is now through, a nice angle to give the curve round to the double junction. I've mounted the board that traverses the hole, and fixed it both sides securely and given it some legs in the garage.

post-14906-0-53651500-1441830498_thumb.jpg

I've had a good measure up and the platforms will hold 4 coaches and a loco, between the tunnel and the junction, so some prototypical trains can be run.

I've also done the MU cables and plugs/sockets on the A38. and I've fitted the guttering each side as well.

post-14906-0-40715800-1441830516_thumb.jpg

Next is all the door fittings, handrails, hinges, etc, and the detail at the luggage end. I'll hopefully have more time this coming week.

Jinty ;)

Edited to say, I've just noticed a step has moved!!!!

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 11

With the Autocoach nearing completion, I've been gathering all the bits and bobs to complete my JLTRT 8750 kit, which is going to be the next kit to be built. Motor & g/box, Slaters cast hornguides, Premier jointed rods, JLTRT crankpins and just about to send an order over to Severn Mill Nameplates. She's going to be 9743 with a 87A Shedcode.

I've ordered another 57xx Pannier today from JLTRT which will be finished as a 77xx version, in particular 7779, so I'll add the plates for that one too.

I've also had a nice order from MSE arrive, which includes rodding stools, etched cranks, etc and some nickel silver packs of point rodding. I've also received some JLTRT stretcher bars for my turnouts.

I'm hoping to start building the station trackwork as soon as the baseboards are built, and I want to get the signalling/turnout infrastructure in place as the track is built.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Rather than hijack Steve's thread I thought I would try and take a detailed photo of the rodding stools, not a very good shot but you get the idea. This sample takes 0.7mm wire and carries 4 rods.

post-7101-0-86824700-1442008572.jpg

On a different subject I phoned Laurie and left a message asking him to bring some JLTRT stretcher bars to Telford for me, well I got to the JLTRT stand at about 11am on the Saturday and somebody had brought the lot ! I mean bl**dy eck how many turnouts is that considering you get enough for 10 in each pack !!

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Hi Jinty,

Rather than hijack Steve's thread I thought I would try and take a detailed photo of the rodding stools, not a very good shot but you get the idea. This sample takes 0.7mm wire and carries 4 rods.

attachicon.gifP1080053.JPG

On a different subject I phoned Laurie and left a message asking him to bring some JLTRT stretcher bars to Telford for me, well I got to the JLTRT stand at about 11am on the Saturday and somebody had brought the lot ! I mean bl**dy eck how many turnouts is that considering you get enough for 10 in each pack !!

ATB,

Martyn.

I'll try and get a picture of the MSE ones up later today after work for a comparison. Those do look rather good.

I had Laurie send me two packs of stretcher bars last week, and some crankpin nuts, so it wasn't me!!!! Obviously someone's building a monster somewhere!!!!!

Jinty ;)

15 mins break before work, and here is the MSE offering, with a piece of their 0.7mm square nickel silver rod sitting on top.

post-14906-0-95414300-1442040720_thumb.jpg

I notice that there is quite some difference between the two examples.

Is there anyone who can enlighten me as to when each type, and what era each type were used please?

Jinty ;)

• Like 5

It's been a rather busy week or so, some major work done in the outhouse next to the garage, where the line will go through. Needed re-felting, and some remedial work to the wooden framework.

A new job, but I had to get all my paperwork in order for my last job, before I left, so not much done on the WB.

The hole is now through, a nice angle to give the curve round to the double junction. I've mounted the board that traverses the hole, and fixed it both sides securely and given it some legs in the garage.

attachicon.gifTal 183.jpg

I've had a good measure up and the platforms will hold 4 coaches and a loco, between the tunnel and the junction, so some prototypical trains can be run.

I've also done the MU cables and plugs/sockets on the A38. and I've fitted the guttering each side as well.

attachicon.gifTal 184.jpg

Next is all the door fittings, handrails, hinges, etc, and the detail at the luggage end. I'll hopefully have more time this coming week.

Jinty ;)

Edited to say, I've just noticed a step has moved!!!!

Amazing progress nevertheless! Good luck with the new job.

Wow Jinty. You do not hang about do you! More gets done in a day than I do in a month!

Rod

I agree, same here, its quite remarkable!

ATVB to all,

CME