Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

At least it's in Choc/Cream I suppose!!!

I forgot a picture of the underneath yesterday

post-14906-0-78399800-1440068723_thumb.jpg

Which shows the strengthening wire behind the steps, and the rigging for the other end being set up ready behind it.

Also one of my next little side projects, LMS/BR D1972 Horsebox by CRT. Nice little acquisition from that famous auction site. I'm looking for a GWR N16/15 Horsebox to go with it if anyone knows of a kit manufacturer who does one?

post-14906-0-81393400-1440068737_thumb.jpg

Maybe more later.

Jinty ;)

• Like 4

Steps corrected, and I've fitted the ar$e end auto linkage and buffer beam bits and bobs.

I then plodded away at the drivers end body detail. The inner control gear was fitted with the regulator cable run across and down into conduit as per the real one, the AWS bell located on the RH side and the handbrake, etc mounted.

post-14906-0-36188000-1440099530_thumb.jpg

A view into the driving end (a clean up is yet to happen, it's just to give you an idea).

post-14906-0-65293600-1440099543_thumb.jpg

A view through the side window into the driving cab

post-14906-0-96725300-1440099554_thumb.jpg

After the bits and bobs were fitted onto the inside, I decided to see if I couldn't give it a face.

handrails, gong linkage, pulley and wire (0.5mm brass) fitted, as well as the gong soldered with its back plate. I've got to make up the jumper cables and units, and fit, and also the wiper. I need to file up a small block of brass and make up a wiper motor for the inside with its conduit.

post-14906-0-22690900-1440099565_thumb.jpg

All in all an enjoyable day in the workshop, just plodding along. Not a great deal achieved, but enjoyable.

As per my question about the GWR N16 Horsebox, I haven't been able to find one, but I have found that WEP models do an N11. Built in 1913, these lasted into BR days, but does anyone know how far into BR they lasted?

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

At least it's in Choc/Cream I suppose!!!

Jinty ;)

Hope i have`nt thrown a spanner in the works with the link earlier!.    :punish:

But seeing your beautiful build, makes me want one in the ADB configuration for my 80`s layout.And i have`nt even built it yet!.

Brian. 

Edited by Tove

Hope i have`nt thrown a spanner in the works with the link earlier!.    :punish:

But seeing your beautiful build, makes me want one in the ADB configuration for my 80`s layout.And i have`nt even built it yet!.

Brian.

No you haven't let the cat out of the bag, I think Craig was waiting for someone to guess.

Thank you for the compliment, I can say that the Orion A38 is a lovely kit to build (up to now anyway!!).

That cab interior is really worthwhile when it can be seen through the windows. I took photos inside a Hawksworth at Llangollen a few years ago.....

Thank you for the interior pictures Coachman, it's nice to see the subtle differences between them inside. Although the basic layout is the same.

I have the step levers in place on the saloon partition but forgot to photograph them.

Jinty ;)

Hi David

Don't know whether you and Craig are interested but we do a small range of figures in 7mm white metal unpainted. - gangers, woman standing, dogs etc. If either of you are interested drop me a pm.

Cheers

Peter

Hi David

Don't know whether you and Craig are interested but we do a small range of figures in 7mm white metal unpainted. - gangers, woman standing, dogs etc. If either of you are interested drop me a pm.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Hope you are keeping well. Yes I'd be interested, I'll PM you later after work.

Jinty ;)

Bit of a long day at work yesterday, only managed a short while on the Autocoach, fitting more bits and pieces.

Firstly I forgot to take a picture of the step extension levers on the saloon partition

post-14906-0-28653800-1440223635_thumb.jpg

As for the bits fitted last night, I fitted the handrail above the centre window. Then just above that, and below the triangular plate, there are two little blips, which were fashioned from some 0.9mm nickel silver rod, soldered from the back and filed on the outside.

The next thing was the windscreen wiper, again some 0.7mm wire attached and then soldered in place from the inside. I then cleaned up a bit on the inside of the cab and made up a 'wiper motor' from an old brass casting, and added a cable and then some conduit down the corner from copper tube.

post-14906-0-77355500-1440223649_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-42348400-1440223667_thumb.jpg

I've got to find/make a vacuum gauge and a small switch panel now and that should see the cab detail finished.

Jinty ;)

• Like 11

Looking very nice David.

How are you planning to glaze it?

I built one a few years back, and I recall that it was "troublesome"...

Sorry - had to say, your brake standard looks a tad tipsy - hope you don't mind!

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your kind words.

Craig will be glazing it after he's painted it. Shouldn't be too difficult as I've left room.

As for the brake standard, they are mounted at an angle on the prototype to clear the vacuum brake actuator.

I think there will be a picture in Coachman's set above that shows this.

Jinty ;)

Although it was a day off today, I've done nothing on the Autocoach. Decided on a relaxing Sunday, and decided to have a little photo pose even though it was dull light outside (And rained quite heavy not long afterwards).

4F, 44487 arrives from Hereford into platform 1 at Talyllyn Junction.

post-14906-0-59450200-1440345443_thumb.jpg

And a few from different angles

post-14906-0-26812300-1440345431_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-42013200-1440345456_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-25367600-1440345470_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-27552500-1440345481_thumb.jpg

I'm not very good with Photoshop and the like, but I reckon someone who was, could make something plausible with one of these.

I'll get stuck into the Autocoach during the week, where the body comes in for some attention.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 14

Hi Jinty, weather has been atrocious down here today, I don't think there can be much rain left up in those clouds after the bursts we had this morning and this afternoon.

Nice pics on the 4f is that the same one you made earlier in this thread ?

Craig

Hi Jinty, weather has been atrocious down here today, I don't think there can be much rain left up in those clouds after the bursts we had this morning and this afternoon.

Nice pics on the 4f is that the same one you made earlier in this thread ?

Craig

Yes Craig, it is.

Jinty ;)

Having a little break from the Autocoach, and at a loss as for something to do last night, I thought I'd break open one of my Parkside kits. Namely PS28 GWR/BR Coverd Goods Van Dia: V36/V37. This one being built as a vacuum braked V36 example. All the V37, non vacuum braked versions were rebuilt as V36's by the 1960's.

Blackened the wheels and axles, the coupling hooks and loops. Also blackened a couple of C&L instanter loops to make up the couplings. I prefer the C&L ones as they are finer, and stronger than the plastic ones supplied being brass.

I replaced the central pivot rod for the brakes for a 1mm Nickel silver rod to add some strength.

I'd got a rolling box by the end of last night, and carried on with it this morning. I then stripped the wheels, buffers and couplings off the body, give it a good wash and primered it. After the primer had been given an hour, I attacked the chassis and under frame with satin black. I left that to dry for a couple of hours and then masked the van off and gave it about 4 nice coats of Railmatch Bauxite 40/60 with cellulose thinners. I demasked it after it had gone off a bit. I left it for an hour or so and then touched in the buffers and vac pipes with some Humbrol Matt 33 with a brush. I also touched in the vacuum hose and the brake handle end in white.

It should be ready for transfers tomorrow and a coat of varnish the day after.

The roof was airbrushed in Phoenix Maroon coach roof grey.

THe roof is not glued down yet, as I will add a little extra weight inside before I do.

post-14906-0-31609800-1440525014_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-09664400-1440525024_thumb.jpg

This is the way I build Parkside kits, I don't paint the small parts on the sprue, but that doesn't mean to say that that method is wrong. I just find it easier this way.

I'll post a couple of pictures once the transfers are on.

Jinty ;)

• Like 16

And another rolling box appears this evening, in the form of PS48 GWR/BR TEVAN Dia: V32.

Pretty much exactly the same method of construction, only this one will be having weight added and the roof glued down before it's painted, as the handrails extend onto the roof.

post-14906-0-51643500-1440536941_thumb.jpg

A little bit more challenging with all the small details, but a lovely kit as usual from PD.

Jinty ;)

• Like 8