Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Thank you for the comments guys.

Not a great deal done this last few days, waiting for some 0.3mm phosphor bronze wire for the MU plugs on the front of the Autocoach, and with a sudden busy spell at work, I've been on the WB less!!!

Anyway, I've been able to fit the transfers and varnish the WR van, and fit the roof after gluing 4 steel washers to the floor inside for some weight.

Here is the van basking in the sunshine awaiting the attack of the weathering brushes and cotton buds!!!

post-14906-0-14438000-1440690279_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I'll have some more updates over the weekend.

Jinty ;)

• Like 8

Thank you for the comments guys.

Not a great deal done this last few days, waiting for some 0.3mm phosphor bronze wire for the MU plugs on the front of the Autocoach, and with a sudden busy spell at work, I've been on the WB less!!!

Anyway, I've been able to fit the transfers and varnish the WR van, and fit the roof after gluing 4 steel washers to the floor inside for some weight.

Here is the van basking in the sunshine awaiting the attack of the weathering brushes and cotton buds!!!

attachicon.gifTal 178.jpg

Hopefully I'll have some more updates over the weekend.

Jinty ;)

Lovely picture, could almost be an ex works view  :O

I started to weather the WR van last night, and used weathering liquids and powders. wiping most of it all off again. I then got up early this morning and gently blew some frame dirt and black over the body and chassis.

post-14906-0-86230900-1440748121_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-17186700-1440748134_thumb.jpg

I'm going to give it some chalk marks and then matt varnish it all over the weekend. I just hope I don't have the same problems I did with the varnish!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 13

I started to weather the WR van last night, and used weathering liquids and powders. wiping most of it all off again. I then got up early this morning and gently blew some frame dirt and black over the body and chassis.attachicon.gifTal 181.jpgattachicon.gifTal 182.jpgI'm going to give it some chalk marks and then matt varnish it all over the weekend. I just hope I don't have the same problems I did with the varnish!!!Jinty ;)

Superb work Jinty!

I started to weather the WR van last night, and used weathering liquids and powders. wiping most of it all off again. I then got up early this morning and gently blew some frame dirt and black over the body and chassis.

attachicon.gifTal 181.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 182.jpg

I'm going to give it some chalk marks and then matt varnish it all over the weekend. I just hope I don't have the same problems I did with the varnish!!!

Jinty ;)

By jingo that's a cracker Jinty

David

looks lovely.

why do you varnish?

I have (almost) never varnished any of my models.  They do get handled, but I minimise it, and there has been the odd oops with a transfer (funnily enough, I think there must have been a problem with the paint, it's always the same model...) but in general, no issues.

is it really necessary?

hth - food for thought, perhaps, anyway

Simon

Thank you for your kind comments guys. ;)

David

looks lovely.

why do you varnish?

I have (almost) never varnished any of my models.  They do get handled, but I minimise it, and there has been the odd oops with a transfer (funnily enough, I think there must have been a problem with the paint, it's always the same model...) but in general, no issues.

is it really necessary?

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your kind words.

After my recent varnishing disasters I have been very cautious with what I use.

I usually paint with the airbrush using Railmatch/Phoenix paints mixed with cellulose thinners. This dries with a very dull finish. I will then spray some satin or gloss varnish so that the transfers can be fitted. I then will allow the transfers to dry and then cover over with a Matt Varnish to seal it all in and give it a dull finish as well.

Then I set about weathering it and then decide if I think it needs more varnish or not afterwards.

My problems have arisen from the Humbrol Matt Varnish, 'Whitening' when sprayed on, so I have reverted back to the Railmatch version.

Jinty ;)

My problems have arisen from the Humbrol Matt Varnish, 'Whitening' when sprayed on, so I have reverted back to the Railmatch version.

Jinty ;)

The idea might not appeal to you as you use an air brush,but have you used the Humbrol Matt Varnish straight from a rattle can?.

I`ve used it to seal various layers of weathering on American freight cars in the past,and have never had any issues with it 'whitening'.

Brian. 

Lovely work Jinty!

David

looks lovely.

why do you varnish?

is it really necessary?

Simon

Its good to varnish/lacquer as it seals transfers, it also often helps top tie-in different finishes, hues/tones and give a more uniform feel. For those of us stupid enough to venture out doors with our models a careful blat of Testors Dullcote (sic) also helps keep weathering powders in check too - especially if a light shower heads our way LOL!

The idea might not appeal to you as you use an air brush,but have you used the Humbrol Matt Varnish straight from a rattle can?.

I`ve used it to seal various layers of weathering on American freight cars in the past,and have never had any issues with it 'whitening'.

Brian. 

Thats interesting to hear, I have heard mixed reviews about Humbrol Matt varnish, although I love their enamels and acrylics. Testors Dullcote is superb, I tried the Army Painter version recently and that dried a nice matt/satin finish but I did experience some white/bloom even when using on a lovely warm day.

ATVB

CME

Thats interesting to hear, I have heard mixed reviews about Humbrol Matt varnish, although I love their enamels and acrylics. Testors Dullcote is superb, I tried the Army Painter version recently and that dried a nice matt/satin finish but I did experience some white/bloom even when using on a lovely warm day.

ATVB

CME

I did use Testors Dullcote but it seemed to get harder to buy over here,and i was told that they had also changed the formula?  by a friend.

So anyway i switched to using the Humbrol Matt Varnish .But going on what you`ve said, perhaps i`ve just been lucky!.

Brian.

Edited by Tove

I did use Testors Dullcote but it seemed to get harder to buy over here,and i was told that they had also changed the formula  by a friend?.

So anyway i switched to using the Humbrol Matt Varnish .But going on what you`ve said, perhaps i`ve just been lucky!.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

That's interesting to hear - EDM used to stock it but now there are issues with sending such via Royal Mail (okay with a carrier?) and supplies still seem sporadic. I wasnt aware that the formula had changed - yet it always amazes me that many US products are still full of nasties (but often such nasties help the product to work well, even if they aren't good for us/the environment). I do know that the superb rattle can Games Workshop Chaos Black have changed 'ingredients' twice (with a quick clean up it would stick to almost anything - without the need for a primer - it doesnt now)!

I may try some of the Humbrol spray varnish then?

Sorry for the Thread Hijack Jinty, thanks for your forbearance.

Kindest,

CME

Hi Brian,

That's interesting to hear - EDM used to stock it but now there are issues with sending such via Royal Mail (okay with a carrier?) and supplies still seem sporadic. I wasnt aware that the formula had changed - yet it always amazes me that many US products are still full of nasties (but often such nasties help the product to work well, even if they aren't good for us/the environment). I do know that the superb rattle can Games Workshop Chaos Black have changed 'ingredients' twice (with a quick clean up it would stick to almost anything - without the need for a primer - it doesnt now)!

I may try some of the Humbrol spray varnish then?

Sorry for the Thread Hijack Jinty, thanks for your forbearance.

Kindest,

CME

AC Models in Eastleigh has Testors Dullcote.

No Hijack CME, it's all interesting information as to how others get along with products.

As for Humbrol matt varnish in a rattle can, I had an unfortunate incident with some re-worked Lima Seacows I'd resprayed with Railmatch/Celly. Once the transfers were in place and dry, I sprayed the Humbrol and the whole wagon crazed!!!

Never used it since. I'm going to put a reasonably sized order in to Howes for their varnishes, both in jars and aerosols.

As an aside, I've been waiting for some 0.3mm and 1mm soft phosphor bronze wire to arrive so I can do the MU cables on the front and rear panels.

I never read the advert in Eileens Emporium stating the length!!! I now have 22.5meters of each size!!!! :O (Numpty!!!)

Jinty ;)

22meters !!! Lol that'll keep you going for a while lol ,I always end up having to asking people (or getting them to order it for me )what I need because am useless at buying that kind of stuff lol

Brian

Hello Jinty, sorry not been on here much, but we are on the home straight now !!!!, the Auto Coach looks lovely  :imsohappy: and with regards to the MU cables let me have a look at it, I may be able to take some off your hands.

Best regards

Craig.

Hello Jinty, sorry not been on here much, but we are on the home straight now !!!!, the Auto Coach looks lovely  :imsohappy: and with regards to the MU cables let me have a look at it, I may be able to take some off your hands.

Best regards

Craig.

I think I might have some left when you next visit, so help yourself!!!! :jester:

Jinty ;)