Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Clerestory Coaches, Knowledge needed! - And other GWR ponderings.

• RMweb Gold

I like the M set above, that's the sort of thing i have in mind. is it just me or does the 3rd roof look more white than the other 3 carriages?

It's not just you. A good example for not having uniform shade/colour of any sort on roofs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple of snaps of a recently acquired Blacksmith Diag E26 brake compo.

It has been quite nicely built and painted (roof needs re-fitting) and will go nicely with the other Dean non-corridors

post-6728-0-48801200-1463143434_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-94848200-1463143459_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

While on the subject of Dean coaches, can any expert help with the ID of those in the pictures from the Wild Swan Golden Valley book(moderator - if this is breach of copyright feel free to squash this post)

In the later thirties the Golden Valley train seems to have often been mixed with a single old Dean bogie coach, but which? One picture is hard to see - it's low roofed, and doesn't seen to have a big enough van section for a normal brake 3rd. Presumably the van between the coach and the 58XX would be something vac fitted - a siphon?

post-23324-0-37815200-1463314429.png

The other is clearer.

post-23324-0-29071100-1463314434.png

Edited by johnarcher
  • Like 1

Thanks Re6/6. It seems that that is what the coach in the second picture is, not sure if the first one is the same thing it's such a grainy picture at a poor angle.

Incidentally does anyone know if brake composites (like the E26 above) were ever used as a single coach in a mixed train, they'd seem to me quite suitable as having a smaller van section than most brake thirds?

Edited by johnarcher

I think you are correct in identifying these as two different coaches.

The first picture I interpret as having, front to rear as we view it,  6 compartments, a space for a plated over/removed lookout, a single door and then a double door.  That is consistent with a D16 48'6" Dean Low-roof van third.  It just so happens that 5800 Class, No. 5818 was photographed with coach No. 2072 at Dorstone c. 1937.  According to Harris, 2072 is not a running number for a D22, but is the number of a D16.

Edited by Edwardian

While on the subject of Dean coaches, can any expert help with the ID of those in the pictures from the Wild Swan Golden Valley book(moderator - if this is breach of copyright feel free to squash this post)

In the later thirties the Golden Valley train seems to have often been mixed with a single old Dean bogie coach, but which? One picture is hard to see - it's low roofed, and doesn't seen to have a big enough van section for a normal brake 3rd. Presumably the van between the coach and the 58XX would be something vac fitted - a siphon?

attachicon.gifgv coach 2.png

The other is clearer.

attachicon.gifgv coach.png

You will find the two pictures you have shown, plus many others, on the web at http://www.ewyaslacy.org.uk/doc.php?d=rs_gdv_0010

Some are better reproductions than those you have and there is some supporting information.

Mike

• 3 months later...

Probably too late to be of any use but here is a project I am working on. An "Old Slow Coach (face removed) and fitted with an interior and bogies (Dean 7') I printed using Shapeways which are now available for sale on that website under Stafford Road Model Works

Clerestory brake coach

I am also using one of the Hornby composites to make a GWR style camp coach (this will use my 8'6" version of the same bogie and a 3D printed interior. I may also produce an underframe detail to replace the rather bulky Triang/Hornby version particularly as the camping coach I am basing mine on seems to have the gas tanks removed.

Regards

81E
Edited by 81E
  • Like 2

Probably too late to be of any use but here is a project I am working on. An "Old Slow Coach (face removed) and fitted with an interior and bogies (Dean 7') I printed using Shapeways which are now available for sale on that website under Stafford Road Model Works

I may have asked this before, but have you got plans to produce a Dean 6ft 4in bogie? I could use some.

• Like 1

Indeed, a Dean 6'4" would be very useful as would a Dean 10'. 

It would be good to have the Dean 10' without footboards, as the cast 247 Developments version had footboards.  For the inter war years, you need a mixture of the two.

Really impressed with the Stafford Road products, not least the Airfix and Lima Siphon bogie replacement service.

Shapeways is so expensive, I shall have to save hard!

It would be good to have the Dean 10' without footboards, as the cast 247 Developments version had footboards.  For the inter war years, you need a mixture of the two.

Really impressed with the Stafford Road products, not least the Airfix and Lima Siphon bogie replacement service.

Shapeways is so expensive, I shall have to save hard!

Shapeways prices have got very high since  Brexit and the drop in sterling. Somewhere in my box of bits I have the remains of a long clerestory brake with some minor scratches on the side which I intend to re-spray into plain brown If I can find all the bit's I will need some 10 foot bogies so will probably run some up eventually.

At the moment I am working on the 6'4" bogies by shortening my 7 foot ones but not sure if they look quite right. Although It may e a while until I test print them and try them against a drawing I will probably have them up on the SRMW site by tonight so please have a look and let me know where I might have gone wrong.

Edited by 81E
  • Like 2

Shapeways prices have got very high since  Brexit and the drop in sterling. Somewhere in my box of bits I have the remains of a long clerestory brake with some minor scratches on the side which I intend to re-spray into plain brown If I can find all the bit's I will need some 10 foot bogies so will probably run some up eventually.

At the moment I am working on the 6'4" bogies by shortening my 7 foot ones but not sure if they look quite right. Although It may e a while until I test print them and try them against a drawing I will probably have them up on the SRMW site by tonight so please have a look and let me know where I might have gone wrong.

Thanks.

However, I have what I suspect is a rather naïve question: "SRMW"?

Siebel Relationship Management Warehouse

South River Model Works

subsidieregeling Roetfilters Mobiele Werktuigen

I note that Chris Ward's business, now under new ownership, will custom print if the files are provided.  Is this a potentially more cost effective route than Shapeways, which appears to be a ruinously expensive monopoly, for small runs where, really, just a few blokes on RMWeb would like a so and so and one of them is a design whiz?

One of my current projects is renovating my ancient, battered Triang clerestory brake...

post-6488-0-34015300-1473341405_thumb.jpgpost-6488-0-91466500-1473341506_thumb.jpg

At the same time I want to make it more prototypical. Looking in Russell Part 1 I found the Van third D21.

post-6488-0-63251400-1473341608_thumb.jpg

Whilst the passenger and guard sections are more or less identical, with the Triang offering, the luggage section is different and longer (cut & shut plasticard).

The Triang bogies have been replaced with Hornby Dean 10' from the more recent corridor clerestory models.

post-6488-0-53592400-1473341727_thumb.jpgpost-6488-0-54438500-1473341789_thumb.jpg

Also the D21 is wider with the coach ends having a blank 'gangway' panel.

post-6488-0-43318700-1473341902_thumb.jpgpost-6488-0-18822300-1473341927_thumb.jpg

I have ditched the original underframe section and built up gas tanks, truss rods, queen posts, etc, from brass rod & plasticard.

post-6488-0-95828700-1473341967_thumb.jpg

The roof has been cut & shut, to meet the new width and length, with gas lamp ventilators from plasticard discs and brass rod.

post-6488-0-76252100-1473342242_thumb.jpg

Overall a cheap and cheerfull ongoing makeover. I will put any tattyness down to the fact that the coach is getting long in the tooth in my chosen (1930s) period.

I could probably could have done a better, quicker and more accurate job starting from scratch but I am loath to part with something I have owned for 45+ years even though the surgery has been fairly drastic!

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Like 5

One of my current projects is renovating my ancient, battered Triang clerestory brake...

attachicon.gifCler 1.jpgattachicon.gifCler 2.jpg

At the same time I want to make it more prototypical. Looking in Russell Part 1 I found the Van third D21.

attachicon.gifD21.jpg

Whilst the passenger and guard sections are more or less identical, with the Triang offering, the luggage section is different and longer (cut & shut plasticard).

The Triang bogies have been replaced with Hornby Dean 10' from the more recent corridor clerestory models.

attachicon.gifCler 3.jpgattachicon.gifCler 4.jpg

Also the D21 is wider with the coach ends having a blank 'gangway' panel.

attachicon.gifCler 5.JPGattachicon.gifCler 6.JPG

I have ditched the original underframe section and built up gas tanks, truss rods, queen posts, etc, from brass rod & plasticard.

attachicon.gifCler 7.JPG

The roof has been cut & shut, to meet the new width and length, with gas lamp ventilators from plasticard discs and brass rod.

attachicon.gifCler 8.jpg

Overall a cheap and cheerfull ongoing makeover. I will put any tattyness down to the fact that the coach is getting long in the tooth in my chosen (1930s) period.

I could probably could have done a better, quicker and more accurate job starting from scratch but I am loath to part with something I have owned for 45+ years even though the surgery has been fairly drastic!

Proper modelling, that!

• Like 1