Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

• 2 weeks later...

R 4680 is the right hand brake third.  Looking at various web sites, some show a picture with the luggage compartment to the right looking at the compartment side (Hattons for example) while others show it being to the right looking at the corridor side (Hornby, KMRC).  Which is correct?

• RMweb Premium

R 4680 is the right hand brake third.  Looking at various web sites, some show a picture with the luggage compartment to the right looking at the compartment side (Hattons for example) while others show it being to the right looking at the corridor side (Hornby, KMRC).  Which is correct?

Post 619 answered a not disimilar question I asked a whlie back.

Post 619 answered a not disimilar question I asked a whlie back.

That's what I thought - right  hand looking at the corridor side.  It seems that most of the vendors are using the same (incorrect) picture.  Full marks to KMRC who seem to have photographed what was in the box rather than using a library picture.

It's probably been said before, but these coaches were intended for 'cross-country' trains and initially the sets were intended to be made up as:-

Bk/3rd - 3rd - 3rd/1st -1st/3rd - 3rd - 3rd/Bk (i.e. with the brake ends outermost and the 1st class in the centre). I would imagine this would only be appropriate for the original livery with the faux panelling*, as the sets would almost certainly have been broken up quite quickly.

* The 1922 livery - please Hornby!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting Robin, with a release date of June 2016.... but no other Shirtbutton carriages on the horizon just yet... The idea of a sound fitted King is very appealing... Although I am waiting for the DJM version to compare that with the Hornby one.

Still very tempting though :-)

Edited by Neal Ball

Interesting Robin, with a release date of June 2016.... but no other Shirtbutton carriages on the horizon just yet... 

This is why I think that shirtbutton Colletts will be the next general release, in order to match up with these in the Bristolian pack. That means that the Hawksworth livery may not yet be seen for a good few years yet :-(

However, the shirtbutton livery did live on into the post-war Hawksworth years on some coaches so I would still buy a sprinkling of these and paint the roofs grey as it would then be prototypical to include these on a 1946/1947 layout. 

Cheers, 

CoY

• RMweb Gold

This is why I think that shirtbutton Colletts will be the next general release, in order to match up with these in the Bristolian pack. That means that the Hawksworth livery may not yet be seen for a good few years yet :-(

However, the shirtbutton livery did live on into the post-war Hawksworth years on some coaches so I would still buy a sprinkling of these and paint the roofs grey as it would then be prototypical to include these on a 1946/1947 layout. 

Cheers, 

CoY

Probably a  reasonable assumption - Hornby tend to run coaches over three years with a livery change in each successive year but which GW liveries they are likely to chose is far more difficult to define.  Much simpler for us BR(W) types as lined maroon should theoretically appear within the next two years on that basis (but I did say 'theoretically').

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers, 

CoY

Hornby won't complain as they get twice the sales that way from post war modellers.

• RMweb Gold

Slightly off topic..........is the lettering on the coach boards black or dark brown?

Secondly any suggestions about the font used?

John

I've a suspicion that the lettering was dark brown, based purely on the contrast in the very few close-ups that exist. That said, the smaller 'finger boards' were black on a cream background for later GW, & either cream or 'old gold' on red for early BR.

Larry (coachmann) posted some samples he'd done using Bell MT that look pretty good in this thread:–

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/29157-wr-carriage-roof-destination-boards/

You could also experiment with Clarendon Light or possibly Egyptienne or even Cheltenham. Ideally they'd need a bit of a stretch, but the ability to do that will depend on what software you have.

• RMweb Premium

I've a suspicion that the lettering was dark brown, based purely on the contrast in the very few close-ups that exist. That said, the smaller 'finger boards' were black on a cream background for later GW, & either cream or 'old gold' on red for early BR.

Larry (coachmann) posted some samples he'd done using Bell MT that look pretty good in this thread:–

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/29157-wr-carriage-roof-destination-boards/

You could also experiment with Clarendon Light or possibly Egyptienne or even Cheltenham. Ideally they'd need a bit of a stretch, but the ability to do that will depend on what software you have.

If I were a betting man I'd go for Coachmann's.

• RMweb Gold

Would it have been likely if any of these would have made it to Leicester on local trains from the west? In the 1950's Looking at photos of the coaches they do look very nice

• RMweb Gold

If I were a betting man I'd go for Coachmann's.

Thanks for the advice Gentlemen, much appreciated........I think I will opt for Dark Brown lettering and although Larry's post was on a WR rather than GWR thread I think I will try and get as near as I can to his font on Office Libre

John

Hornby won't complain as they get twice the sales that way from post war modellers.

Or twice the sales from pre-war modellers who want the fully (panel) lined 1920s variety. ;)

Or twice the sales if they issue new running numbers for the current livery. (Maybe not twice exactly but they would get that from me.)

I sometimes question exhaustively running reissues every year, but given the long pent up demand for GWR coaches, there's some easy money re-issuing these coaches (with a new livery/number combination) in 2017. So long as they don't put the wrong bogies on them.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

Would it have been likely if any of these would have made it to Leicester on local trains from the west? In the 1950's Looking at photos of the coaches they do look very nice

Improbable, but never say never.  A GW non-corridor composite was once reported to have reached Kings Lynn ...

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Most certainly through Leicester Central ( GC ) on the Swansea-York mail and on holiday extras.Highly likely to Leicester London Road ( LMR ).....again remember those Summer Saturday trains and excursions. In the early 50's,each region's coaches got around a lot more.In my own memory I can remember travelling on a Stanier porthole on the Vale of Neath line.

Worth bearing in mind that 'through working' was nothing new...from pre-grouping and the'big four' times pre 1948....before both WW1 and WW2. ..and especially during both wars.

Improbable, but never say never.  A GW non-corridor composite was once reported to have reached Kings Lynn ...

Chris

I have an image of an entire train of GWR non corridor stock being used for an excursion to Bournemouth from the Midlands. I do not fancy that journey without access to a toilet!

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

I have an image of an entire train of GWR non corridor stock being used for an excursion to Bournemouth from the Midlands. I do not fancy that journey without access to a toilet!

Mike Wiltshire

Page 27 of Window On The Great Western (MF Yarwood). We must have had stronger bladders back then.In the days of Valleys Sunday School outings to Barry Island and Porthcawl most excursion stock was non corridor.International rugby matches at Cardiff Arms Park.....aka Wales Millennium Stadium .....were similarly supplied with the same.The tradition of pre or post match celebration/drowning of sorrows in your favourite Cardiiff pub had to be governed by individual bladder capacity.Makes your eyes water to think about it now.Hang on....must pay a visit......