Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

I was in Arcadia Models in Shaw North West yesterday. They had stocks of GWR livery Brakes, 3rd and Comp @ £36.00.

Mike Wiltshire

Oh bu**er! All sold out. The man said that he'd been inundated. The power of RMw!

On the good news side I received the last one this morning from a shop in Hong Kong so that would seem to be it now!

• RMweb Gold

Oh bu**er! All sold out. The man said that he'd been inundated. The power of RMw!

On the good news side I received the last one this morning from a shop in Hong Kong so that would seem to be it now!

Try Kernow - I'm not sure which varieties they have but they may well be able to help ;)  

Surely, if Hornby can emerge from their current trials, that this coach range is a prime candidate for expansion in terms of further diagrams? Given the rapidity with which these have sold out at most retailers, a E128 BCK, H33 Restaurant Car and a K38 BG would be a no-brainer? They added a BG to the Gresley coach range and a BCK to the Maunsell range, some years after they made their debuts. 

Here's hoping!

I'm being lazy by not looking this up for myself but would the chassis be suitable for non corridor stock? If so that's another variation with,presumably, not too much additional expense on new tooling

• Like 1

I'm being lazy by not looking this up for myself but would the chassis be suitable for non corridor stock? If so that's another variation with,presumably, not too much additional expense on new tooling

Yes.  D98 brake third and E131 composite, allocated initially to London, Birmingham and Chester with some migrating to Cardiff later.

Chris

EDIT - also D101 [5 compt brake third]. C56 [9 compt third], E134 [composite].mostly found in South Wales initially in 5 coach sets.  Apologies for being forgetful

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 1

Yes.  D98 brake third and E131 composite, allocated initially to London, Birmingham and Chester with some migrating to Cardiff later.

Chris

EDIT - also D101 [5 compt brake third]. C56 [9 compt third], E134 [composite].mostly found in South Wales initially in 5 coach sets.  Apologies for being forgetful

Thanks Chris.

Very comprehensive and very swift.

So do you think if we ask very nicely we might get some?

Dean

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly off topic: did the coachboards appear on secondary services, eg Mid Wales, or Hereford - Brecon , for example? 

See the article in the current Great Western Journal NO. 98 - it lists a number of cross country services which had nameboards

I was at Shildon/Locomotion today. In the Locomotion shop

GWR Livery Colletts at £39.99

2 x LH brakes

2 x RH brakes

1 x All third

1 x LH compo

1 x RH compo ( there were 2 but I bought one)

So a full train if anyone still looking. None of the traders attending had any in GWR livery

Mike Wiltshire

• 3 weeks later...

A note regarding the corridor connection end doors. Two different designs are supplied with each coach - one has two door flaps with a vertical join meeting in the middle, the other is of a plainer design with no obvious door. Even when the Roco style couplings are fitted to give closer coupling than with the tension lock couplings it seems these doors are still needed to be fitted between coaches to close up the gap between the corridor connections.

Does anyone know if this is Hornby's intention, and is the 'plain' end to go between coaches and not on show at the end of a train?

Dear All

As I seem to have missed the GWR era 3 version of the Bow End Coaches (which seem to have been available earlier than i had expected) - does anyboday have an indication if (and when) these may be available again (re-run)?

Regards

Mark

Dear All

As I seem to have missed the GWR era 3 version of the Bow End Coaches (which seem to have been available earlier than i had expected) - does anyboday have an indication if (and when) these may be available again (re-run)?

Regards

Mark

You can still pick them up on ebay at or below REP.

• RMweb Gold

Dear All

As I seem to have missed the GWR era 3 version of the Bow End Coaches (which seem to have been available earlier than i had expected) - does anyboday have an indication if (and when) these may be available again (re-run)?

Regards

Mark

Kernow have still got a handful of Right Hand Compos in stock but none of the others in GW livery.

• RMweb Gold

Hattons say this regarding the all 3rd R4679 and also the compos.

Is this item actually in stock? No 
On order.  
Due into stock November 2016

Strangely the stock info on the brakes seem well out of date, but it does look like R4679 will be available again if the info is to be believed.

• RMweb Gold

Hattons say this regarding the all 3rd R4679 and also the compos.

Strangely the stock info on the brakes seem well out of date, but it does look like R4679 will be available again if the info is to be believed.

If the info is to be believed.  As Hornby sold off virtually their entire stock of Colletts I can't see an early reorder apart from Year 2 models and even that policy might be under review for all we know.

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick question - I'm too lazy to trawl through 35 pages of thread!

When were the fixed sets abandoned - my guess is late 1950s. My modelling period is early '60s, and my intention is to respray a couple maroon and run them in a "scratch" set with Hawksworths, Mk1s etc. Is this prototypical?

Just a quick question - I'm too lazy to trawl through 35 pages of thread!

When were the fixed sets abandoned - my guess is late 1950s. My modelling period is early '60s, and my intention is to respray a couple maroon and run them in a "scratch" set with Hawksworths, Mk1s etc. Is this prototypical?

The GWR generally didn't do fixed sets of same style corridor stock so you're safe.

Dear All

Regards

Mark

There are still some out there on the shelves. Out of the online retailers whose websites I often check in on, Colletts Models (perhaps unsurprisingly!) of Exmouth is showing good stocks of four of the GWR ones.

Someone is bound to have captured such a formation on film.  Instructions as to the formation of trains varied.  They tended to specify the use of BR Standard stock where appropriate because of their couplings and gangways which differed from those on GW stock so adaptors were needed to couple one to the other.  Sometimes, indeed, the instruction specified merely the number of coaches.  On occasion not even that was laid down.  I have a weekly notice from 1954 which states in respect of some specials "Station Master, X, to arrange suitable train".

Some illustrations of real trains may help.  I have picked out at random one of Peter Gray's exquisite colour albums "Steam Around Devon and Cornwall".  Opening it equally at random I find a 1962 shot of a summer Saturday extra formed entirely of maroon coaches.  The first coach is a Collett brake composite as modelled with disappointing inaccuracy by Mainline and now issued by Bachmann.  The next three are Hawksworths and the remaining six are Mk 1s.  The next choice dates from August 1960.  The leading coach is a Period 3 LMS brake second, the next four are Colletts and may all be C54s with three maroon and one still in blood and custard.  The sixth coach is indistinct but then come three Mk 1s in chocolate and cream.  A final random pick shows what is said to be an Exeter to Kingswear stopper in July 1959.  Because of the camera angle only the first three of the 10 coaches can be identified.  The first is another maroon LMS brake second, the second a maroon C54 and the third a blood and custard Collett C77 as modelled with disappointing inaccuracy by Mainline and now issued by Bachmann who made it worse somehow.

When it comes down to it, the job of the railway was and still is to move the passengers.  It was more important to match the number of seats to the number of passengers as closely as possible than for the train to look nice!

Chris