Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

Talking to Paul Isles at the recent Gaydon show, he suggested they might take a rest from the catalogue in 2018. Of course, there have been changes at Hornby since then. I'm sure they'll come eventually.

Time to restock the horsehair and retint the sepia then....only joking of course.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking to Paul Isles at the recent Gaydon show, he suggested they might take a rest from the catalogue in 2018. Of course, there have been changes at Hornby since then. I'm sure they'll come eventually.

I'd like another full third/second, to make a 6-car set. We have two each of the brake coach and the compo, so it's odd that we don't have two all-seconds.

I'd like another full third/second, to make a 6-car set. We have two each of the brake coach and the compo, so it's odd that we don't have two all-seconds.

How do you create a left-hand and right-hand corridor third?  There was only ever the one of course. Unless you meant you wanted a different running number, then its up to the modeller in you. 

Edited by coachmann

How do you create a left-hand and right-hand corridor third?  There was only ever the one of course. Unless you meant you wanted a different running number, then its up to the modeller in you.

Now that’s a conundrum.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Coach, but there's a very easy way to do it!

Take any corridor third - let's say an LH one; shunt to loco depot; place on turntable; rotate through 180 degrees; VOILA !! - a RH corridor third.

Simples!

Of course, this method also works if you have a RH CK and need a LH CK.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Premium

Take any corridor third - let's say an LH one; shunt to loco depot; place on turntable; rotate through 180 degrees; VOILA !! - a RH corridor third.

Simples!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Not quite, as the corridor is on the opposite side.

GW trains from Paddington had the corridor down one side with the van ends outer and on compos the 1st class was inner, ie towards the centre of the train. You don't need l/r hand thirds.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I want a different running number. It would look better if Hornby supplied one, rather than my messing up the finish of a second coach with the same number as my existing one.

• RMweb Gold

So how do you explain why there are two different CKs in the first place then?

With the CK, the first class is at one of the ends, rather than being symmetrically in the middle. So LH and RH can be applied to which end the first class is (or isn't).

Simples!

Priceless............I'm speechless!

Can somebody else explain to him the facts of life....

Edited by coachmann

Yes, I want a different running number. It would look better if Hornby supplied one rather than my messing up the finish of a second coach with the same number as my existing one.

I think we should be thankful for Hornby to have produced five new coaches, all different, especially considering Hornby's situation. They'll come, given time. With something like a B set, for which two are required for a set, obviously two different numbers are required, and Hornby have done that with those.

Simples!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

They used to try that at Swindon on the coach shop apprentices, "go and ask the foreman for a left-handed Third".

Priceless, indeed!

With the CK, the first class is at one of the ends, rather than being symmetrically in the middle. So LH and RH can be applied to which end the first class is (or isn't).

The point I was making was that if it's just the simple matter of just turning a coach changes it's hand, why are there two different CKs? (Thanks, but I'm already well aware of the differences... )

• RMweb Premium

Not quite, as the corridor is on the opposite side.

GW trains from Paddington had the corridor down one side with the van ends outer and on compos the 1st class was inner, ie towards the centre of the train. You don't need l/r hand thirds.

Precisely the point of my post.

Sorry - my attempt at humour clearly went over your head !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

The point I was making was that if it's just the simple matter of just turning a coach changes it's hand, why are there two different CKs? (Thanks, but I'm already well aware of the differences... )

Sorry.

BTW, I like your avatar.

• RMweb Gold

Makes me smile.The thought of any kind of uniformity with most trains arriving at or departing from Paddington in the late 1949's and up to the mid 1950's is wishful thinking. An apt description would be ....excuse the expression......b#####s muddle.I recall,as a young passenger in those days that of all four regions,the WR had the most polyglot collection of antique and uncomfortable stock of the lot.

Slam door and eight to a compartment on luxurious horsehair....when fairly new Stanier stock found its way onto the WR in the early 50's it was blissfully comfortable by comparison.....six with armrests.

When you look at photos of express trains on the main line out of Paddington sometimes it's hard to identify any carriages of the same build adjacent to one another, let alone in the same train, such is the random make up of the train. Seems trains were only made up of the same type of stock, as in a complete set, when it was new (hopefully with corridors all tidily on the same side!), and even then it was only for a few years, to be replaces on top expresses by a new design, then the sets were split and each carriage was just another 'all third', 'composite', 'brake third' etc. in the carriage sidings. About the only fairly consistently 'tidy' trains appears to have been the suburbans.

It is likely the 1920's built coaches were held wherever there was storage over the course of the BR winter timetable. For instance, the Up and down slow lines between Llanddulas and Abergele were used to store carriages in winter. This practice probably put coaches of a similar profile together, so that when they were dragged out for summer work, they would form a uniform rake in excursions trains. When I say a uniform rake, this could work out at four bow-enders attached to an all-year-round rake of more modern coaches. Liveries are secondary and would vary in proportion according to the period. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having asked last night if anyone knew where I might find a drawing of the compartment side of a D94, three compartment brake I thought I would have a go at drawing one myself using the information available in Russell's book .

Here it is, please if anyone has any observations please let me have them.

attachicon.gifD94.jpg

HI Guys. I sent these drawings for the D94 to Allen Donerty at Worsley Works some time ago with a request to see if he could etch them for me. The intention being to use them as replacement sides for the Hornby coaches.

Its been a while but he has now come back saying that he is in a position to do these for me. I've asked him to hold off just in case Hornby announce them on the 8th Jan (unlikely but it would happen if I ordered them).

Assuming that it doesn't I am going to order some. Is anybody else interested, if so I could probably ask Allen to etch up more sets.

Pm me if interested and I can let you know what he's charging

Dean (Rovex)