Warship in 7mm

steve fay

Guest Q663368

D806 Dragon attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This one will require the most work and a complete repaint.

Front end filed and smoothed, new discs and reporting number panels, replacement side grills and the lower doors on the skirts.

Just started reading this thread. Nice pic. Can anyone enlighten me on the actual train, not the consist please.

All my Heljan locos including Western, 40, Brush 4's and others go around my 40 in curves. I have the new 25 which has a similar arrangement as the Warship so it should work.

I do have a Warship but it's still in DC mode so it's not made it onto the layout yet. Awaiting decoder.

All my Heljan locos including Western, 40, Brush 4's and others go around my 40 in curves. I have the new 25 which has a similar arrangement as the Warship so it should work.

I do have a Warship but it's still in DC mode so it's not made it onto the layout yet. Awaiting decoder.

WOW, Thanks very much for that, It gives me some more good options for the Layout.

WOW, Thanks very much for that, It gives me some more good options for the Layout.

Just a word of caution... "get round tight curves" is not the same as "pull stock round tight curves".

My HJ Hymek could get round old Lima O Setrack points - a tad over 2ft radius!! But don't expect it to pull anything behind it on that radius - at least, not on the rails, in the accepted manner.

Just a word of caution... "get round tight curves" is not the same as "pull stock round tight curves".

My HJ Hymek could get round old Lima O Setrack points - a tad over 2ft radius!! But don't expect it to pull anything behind it on that radius - at least, not on the rails, in the accepted manner.

Thanks for that, I was thinking Lima (for starters) Coaches, but I've just been out and with some bits of timber 16'' long to represent the coaches and the over hang is not the best, so back to Plan A. just a Goods Yard.

A word of caution and wisdom to the wise, running light engine isnt the same as running trains etc.....please see below...

Agreed Jordan, there are a lot of other considerations too, such as buffer-lock etc. etc.

I understand that Paul A. Lunn holds clinics and consultations for such issues and thus for Andy getting in touch with Paul may get the best value out of the space, it maybe worth employing Paul to scope out a track/layout plan (I am not sure what he charges but it may well provide a VFM approach before committing to a particular scheme). . IIRC Paul helped a 7mm modeller with limited space and a Black 5 to be able to run the Black 5, ie IIRC moving between Loco Shed and coaling, whilst the rest of the layout was for playing with shorter trains and locos - it was, of course a compromise, but cleverly done. 

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

A word of caution and wisdom to the wise, running light engine isnt the same as running trains etc.....please see below...

Agreed Jordan, there are a lot of other considerations too, such as buffer-lock etc. etc.

I understand that Paul A. Lunn holds clinics and consultations for such issues and thus for Andy getting in touch with Paul may get the best value out of the space, it maybe worth employing Paul to scope out a track/layout plan (I am not sure what he charges but it may well provide a VFM approach before committing to a particular scheme). . IIRC Paul helped a 7mm modeller with limited space and a Black 5 to be able to run the Black 5, ie IIRC moving between Loco Shed and coaling, whilst the rest of the layout was for playing with shorter trains and locos - it was, of course a compromise, but cleverly done. 

ATVB

CME

Thanks for that, one of the Guys at the Club is bringing a couple of Heljan Coaches over next week and a 31 to have a look and measure it all out with me.

Thanks for the suggestion about Paul though, very good idea if this doesn't work out.

• RMweb Gold

Just started reading this thread. Nice pic. Can anyone enlighten me on the actual train, not the consist please.

It was known, rather rudely, as 'the Wells Fargo set' (presumably because of the rather ancient look of the Pullmans?) and it was the official standby set for Pullman failures or when a set was pulled for extra maintenance or shops etc.  I've an idea it might even have been referred to as 'the Wells Fargo' in some traffic notices to make sure people understood what was being talked about!

I run mine with  Mk1's plus various stock both forwards and backwards with no problems. Yes there is over hang but we all dont have space for 6ft radius curves.

Most dont have the space for 6' curves its true, nice to hear that you can run yours on a restricted radii which defies the conventional wisdom. Various tricks can be employed so as to stop buffer lock etc..

Most dont have the space for 6' curves its true, nice to hear that you can run yours on a restricted radii which defies the conventional wisdom. Various tricks can be employed so as to stop buffer lock etc..

That's right. A lot of people seem hell bent on being so correct & proper they miss the point of all this being a hobby and fun. Rule 1 very much applies and I am well and truly enjoying every minute of it.

• Like 2

That's right. A lot of people seem hell bent on being so correct & proper they miss the point of all this being a hobby and fun. Rule 1 very much applies and I am well and truly enjoying every minute of it.

Im sure that that GOG didnt come up with a useful set of rules so as to ruin the hobby, or anyone's fun :)  :derisive: Im sure that they did such so as to avoid folk having problems and thus the ruination of their hobby. In this universe all things are possible and locos can be made to run around some fairly sharp radii, I have found similar to you on DA with the current line extension whereby conventional wisdom dictates the opposite what we are doing.... :angel:  :imsohappy:  :derisive:

My Warship and of course my Black 5's :sungum:

attachicon.gifIMG_1413 (1024x768).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1804 (1024x768).jpg

Sorry about the blue tint to the tender of the second Black 5, Its the telly !!!!

Any photos of them on your tight curves etc please :yes:

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIMG_0388.JPG

3 conversions completed, two back to original builds D806 Cambrian and D 805 Benbow ( still awaiting plates )

Plus North British D845 Sprightly with experimental warning panels

How did you do the bits and pieces (I can't think of the right word - "lumps"?!) beneath the reporting numbers on the early front types? Slivers of plasticard sanded down?

I run mine with  Mk1's plus various stock both forwards and backwards with no problems. Yes there is over hang but we all dont have space for 6ft radius curves.

On 40" radius curves? Must admit I'm impressed; fair play & all that. 

Of course with my US stuff with buckeye couplers and no buffers to worry about, I run down to 36" easily, with 6-axle locos and 72ft Centerbeam Flats. I even have a section approx 27" radius at it's tightest point, which is admittedly, pushing things to the limit, rather. :O

• Like 1

• 4 months later...