Bachmann to produce S Stock for London Transport Museum

Andy Y

Envious of all those that are receiving their sets I called the museum shop to enquire about mine. I was told that the first 150 sets were sent out yesterday and that the second batch - of which mine is in - will be shipped out on Friday.

Hth.

Certificate number 124 /300 :) 
Very nice looking model. I will run it in at my Model Railway Club's test tracks on Thursday.
I was always very skeptical about the handling of a complete eight-car unit around tight curves and inclines. I will certainly add the traction tyres provided before I try running the complete set I purchased.
My only other worry is the motors overheating, I would of preferred if there was a third powered car, just to be on the safe side and to provide the extra traction. 

Edited by Patrick Blake

Important Question!
I'm looking for the wheelsets with the rubber tyres already on and I've only found two in one DM car box. I can't find anymore in any of the other boxes.
Just to be sure. Does anyone else have the same number of accessories or am I missing two wheelsets for one of the DM's?

Patrick

• RMweb Gold

Important Question!

I'm looking for the wheelsets with the rubber tyres already on and I've only found two in one DM car box. I can't find anymore in any of the other boxes.

Just to be sure. Does anyone else have the same number of accessories or am I missing two wheelsets for one of the DM's?

Patrick

Patrick,

That's all I found in my boxes so presume its only one wheelset in each motorised bogie

Keith 

• RMweb Gold

That's correct Keith.

Thanks for the confirmation Andy.

My unit could manage a 5-car set but a 6-car set struggled on a 3ft radius s-bend so I certainly think that the wheelsets with traction tyres need to be fitted. Never having had to change such wheelsets before anybody know the correct way to do this as this does not seem to be covered in the instructions?

Looking at exploded diagram looks like you need to get a small screwdriver into the ends of the bogies to release the keeper plate/bogie frames and get access to the wheelsets. Am I on the right track? Any help would be much appreciated before I break anything. Many thanks,

Keith

Keith

Thanks for the confirmation Andy.

My unit could manage a 5-car set but a 6-car set struggled on a 3ft radius s-bend so I certainly think that the wheelsets with traction tyres need to be fitted. Never having had to change such wheelsets before anybody know the correct way to do this as this does not seem to be covered in the instructions?

Looking at exploded diagram looks like you need to get a small screwdriver into the ends of the bogies to release the keeper plate/bogie frames and get access to the wheelsets. Am I on the right track? Any help would be much appreciated before I break anything. Many thanks,

Keith

Keith

Hello Keith

It was pretty straightforward when I dit it.

Remove the 3 screws holding the upper body to the chassis.

Once upper body is separated. Remove the 3 screws on the interior moulding.

Remove the interior moulding and underneath find a large screw holding the power bogie.

Remove the large screw. Caution! at this point the bogie is completely detached.

Carefully move away the bogie, check that the driveshaft is not caught on anything as this is part of the Bogie.

Once the bogie is separated. Carefully pry the plastic cover underneath at one end. (The bogie frame with pickup shoe detail is part of the cover). 

Once the cover is removed, carefully pull out the wheelset (I would recommend the one furthest from the driveshaft as it uses less gears) Caution! Take out wheelset carefully as to avoid bending the contacts.

Place the new wheelset with rubber tyres. Align the brass sections of the wheelset axle so that they clip on the inside plastic frame. Caution! Pinch the contacts in place as to avoid catching the wheelset on the contacts.

Once you're happy that the wheelset is in place. Clip on the plastic cover. Carefully slide the bogie and driveshaft back in the universal joint slot. Check if the slot is at an awkward angle.

Once the bogie is fully in place. Add the large screw to hold the bogie on the chassis.

Finally close up by screwing in the interior moulding followed by exterior upper body.

Sorry for making this so long.

Patrick

Edited by Patrick Blake

• RMweb Gold

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your response. Your  assistance is much appreciated.

Last night, however, I emailed the Service Department at Bachmann and early this morning received a response from them that all I had to do was to pop off the outer bogie frame by putting a blade behind the clip and easing out to remove it from the inner, then remove a wheelset and replace it with the alternative wheelset checking that the pickups are correctly located to match the other wheel before fitting. There is no need to take the body off.

I followed the instructions received from Bachmann and have fitted the alternative wheelsets ..... and now can get a 6-car unit up my inclines but trying to start the unit on the incline is a struggle. I don't think running an 8-car unit over the elevated part of my layout is feasible.

It's a beautiful model but, to be honest, even after fitting the alternative wheelsets, I think the unit is underpowered if you want to run an 8-car unit especially if you've got some gradients on you layout.

Keith

• Like 1

This suggests not enough weight but if in fact it is underpowered then as you increase weight it will eventually stall with the possibility of burning out the motor.....probably safer to go with the rubber tyres but these may affect electrical pick-up.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your response. Your  assistance is much appreciated.

Last night, however, I emailed the Service Department at Bachmann and early this morning received a response from them that all I had to do was to pop off the outer bogie frame by putting a blade behind the clip and easing out to remove it from the inner, then remove a wheelset and replace it with the alternative wheelset checking that the pickups are correctly located to match the other wheel before fitting. There is no need to take the body off.

I followed the instructions received from Bachmann and have fitted the alternative wheelsets ..... and now can get a 6-car unit up my inclines but trying to start the unit on the incline is a struggle. I don't think running an 8-car unit over the elevated part of my layout is feasible.

It's a beautiful model but, to be honest, even after fitting the alternative wheelsets, I think the unit is underpowered if you want to run an 8-car unit especially if you've got some gradients on you layout.

Keith

Keith

It is probably is easier to just pop off the cover with the bogie remaining intact, although I prefer taking the extra caution of removng the body to prevent the risk of scratching it. I may have steady hands but it doesn't stop me from being prone to making mistakes.

Everyone Else

I was always very concerned about both the traction and power supply to move a complete 8-car unit. Keith's assessment has proven on some aspects that it is in fact under-powered.

Better traction would have been provided if the motor was geared to both DM bogies. Furthermore, the Low drive mechanism may be less powerful than many other existing drive mechanisms, which in this case would protrude through the flooring and be visible inside. At least, this alternative would supply enough power.

Alternatively, a third low drive mechanism could have been provided in one of the extra four cars, albeit paying more for it.

I may in future like to make a layout with similar gradients, but if the train does struggle up the inclines, it gives me less options on what kind of layout I want to make.

Patrick

Edited by Patrick Blake

Would it be possible to replace the motors with a double ended motors that have a drive shaft sticking out of both ends and then somehow adapting the outer bogies to take wheelsets that could be driven from the motors.

Ok I don't own an S Stock set at this time but if I did then thats what I would be investigating the possibility of doing. Either that or try and fit a second motor and drive bogie in both driving cars.

Another option could be to investigate the possibility of fitting motors and drive bogies into the middle cars aswell. I realise that these kind of modifications shouldn't be necessary in an almost £400 model but if thats the only way to cure the traction problem then I would say thats the best idea.

Only other way is completely replace the drive in both driving cars for more powerful 4 axle drives and extra weight and if those ideas don't cure the problem then nothing will.

Any thoughts guys.

Unfortunately, there's no space on the DM's for another Motor Bogie and driveshaft because of the circuit board and provision of a space for fitting a sound speaker.

I may consider a future project of installing a motor on a middle (MS) car in a similar as possible design if I need the extra power. Although I will have to consider both the feasibility and cost.

A more expensive though unprototypical way to run an 8 car train would be to run two 4 car trains coupled together........

Haha That would work quite well but my god how bizarre that would look.

Haha That would work quite well but my god how bizarre that would look.

Well, probably no worse than running an unprototypically short 4 car train....

You can get away with it on non-corridor stock though.......

Edited by Jeff Smith

Well, probably no worse than running an unprototypically short 4 car train....

You can get away with it on non-corridor stock though.......

I guess that's true.

I have though noticed that there's no provision for coupling two DM's face to face. A NEM pocket would need to be fixed in place of the dummy coupler using the small screw already provided. Then you can add a coupler of any choice.

If any S Stock purchasers have an ESU ECoS, I've uploaded an S Stock loco icon on the Loco Icon Bazaar.

I thought that the white paint looked a bit "brownish". Not the bright white I was expecting. Is it just mine, or do others think the same.

I'm going to fit the traction tyres and compensate by linking all the pickups together through the train. That will probably mean replacing Bachmann's coupling head with a micro connector. It is a pity that they didn't fit 4 wire conducting couplings.

It will be worth asking Bachmann on the S Stock Model Tour if they are going to make additional tyred wheelsets available to increase the adhesion.

Mine will also be getting interior lighting, adverts and line diagrams, when I get round to it. Not sure what to do about the seating colour, though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought that the white paint looked a bit "brownish". Not the bright white I was expecting. Is it just mine, or do others think the same.

I haven't seen the model but S-stock is painted the same as other LU stock in a "warm white" not a "hard" or "bright" shade.  The real thing appears to me a little dull, possibly muddy, in certain light.

• RMweb Gold

It will be worth asking Bachmann on the S Stock Model Tour if they are going to make additional tyred wheelsets available to increase the adhesion.

I've already asked them and they don't any wheelsets with traction tyres at Barwell at present. I've told them that I would like some if they do get any.

Also told them that I will raise the question with the Bachmann staff who will be on the special train.

Keith

• Like 1

If any S Stock purchasers have an ESU ECoS, I've uploaded an S Stock loco icon on the Loco Icon Bazaar.

I'm going to fit the traction tyres and compensate by linking all the pickups together through the train. That will probably mean replacing Bachmann's coupling head with a micro connector. It is a pity that they didn't fit 4 wire conducting couplings.

Mine will also be getting interior lighting, adverts and line diagrams, when I get round to it. Not sure what to do about the seating colour, though.

They actually did fit conductor couplings. They are the same design as of those on the Bachmann Pullman and MPV. Except have missing metal prongs that feed the electrics.

I will also inquire with Bachmann about this, and see if I can get replacements of the exact same conductor coupling but with the electrical connections.

Patrick

• Like 1

They actually did fit conductor couplings. They are the same design as of those on the Bachmann Pullman and MPV. Except have missing metal prongs that feed the electrics.

I will also inquire with Bachmann about this, and see if I can get replacements of the exact same conductor coupling but with the electrical connections.

Patrick

Sorry, but in my book, conductor couplings with the conductors/contacts missing are not conductor couplings.

S Stock compartment lighting, spark effects and authentic door sounds - need no pick-ups!

I hope it is appropriate to post a semi commercial response here, though I was and am a modeller first long before I started Train-Tech and it's the joint model railway and technology passions which drive what we do.

We are really pleased to be able to publicly announce today that Train-Tech in partnership with London Transport Museum have produced Lighting, spark effect and door tone sound sets for the new S Stock models and like the S Stock models themselves they will be exclusively available from London Transport Museum store and online shop. 

It will be on demonstration and available to buy for the first time at their special launch event in London next Saturday 26th September. 

Here follows the official joint media release announced today which gives an overview of what the sets do etc :

Starts

Sound & Lighting sets for new S Stock models!

In partnership with London Transport Museum, DCP Microdevelopments Limited (Train Tech) are pleased to launch lighting and sound sets specially designed for the Museum’s brand new S Stock Motorised model tube train.

These special sets have been developed by Train-Tech to bring extra realism to these stunning new models by allowing modellers and collectors to add full interior lighting, under-train spark-arcing effects and authentic door open and closing sounds. 

Each light and sound strip is powered from a small readily available coin cell battery and uses Train-Tech’s unique motion sensing technology to automatically switch on and off lighting, spark effects and door tones. As soon as the train starts moving the lighting comes on and as it moves along the track it realistically flashes the spark LEDs underneath the driving cars. Once the train comes to a halt the spark effects cease but the interior lighting remains on and after a few seconds the distinctive door opening and closing tones sound. If the train is stationary for more than four minutes all the lighting and effects shutdown to automatically preserve battery power.

The strips are easily retrofitted into the roof of any of the new S Stock sets with no soldering, wires or special tools required and full instructions are supplied. And because each strip is independently powered on its own battery they work equally well on both regular DC and Digital DCC layouts with no flicker, pick-ups or switches required - all are wire-free and completely automatic. 

As the lighting and sound effects all work without needing any power to the track they are also likely to be popular with collectors who just intend to display rather than run their models.

Like all Train-Tech products these sets are both designed and manufactured in the UK.

Availability

S Stock Sound & Lighting sets are exclusively available from London Transport Museum retail shop and online store from the official release on Saturday 26th September 2015.

The CL150 London Underground S Stock 4 car Train Pack Lighting & sound set contains lighting strips for all 4 cars in the main S Stock train pack and includes the spark effects and door tones. 

Retail price £89 including batteries and instructions.

The CL51 London Underground S Stock single car Lighting pack includes a compartment lighting only strip which can be fitted into any of the driving or individual cars.

Retail price £20 including a battery and instructions.

www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk

ends

I hope it might excite many new S Stock owners as it does me and look forward to meeting some of you at the launch event next weekend.

Thanks for allowing me to share this news with you.

David Palmer, Train-Tech

Edited by Train-Tech
  • Like 9