7mm GUTTERING HELP

deltic17

Hello everyone - I was just wondering if anyone had any bright ideas on what to use for guttering on 7mm buildings. I think I've gone round in circles on this topic before but the time is rapidly approaching when I need to fit the guttering to the Diesel Maintenance Depot I'm building and I'm really struggling to know what to do.

I've considered :-

1 using half round plastikard and painting the centre dark to give an impression of depth but I'm not quite convinced of this method

2 cutting down drinking straws but these seem to appear too large? 

3 cutting down plastic tube

Nobody seems to make suitable guttering as far as I am aware.

I would be interested to hear fellow modellers views/thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Deltic17

Golfing umbrella ribs are often quite close, I have seen half round rod with the top painted black, and it's quite convincing. Failing that brass tube either filed or milled to half section, but it's a bit of a nightmare if you've got much to do.

Funnily enough the subject came up last night as we have to get some sorted for buildings on our Club layout, I think one of our members is sorting out CAD for 3D printing, as we have, like you, hit a brick wall with suitably realistic supply, it's usually whitemetal, and too thick.

Otherwise PLM Cast-Aways, and Skytrex.

Thanks for all the swift replies - I think that Ratio 4mm guttering looks very good in the photo by RandyWales - that was well spotted by yourself - it is amazing how companies can produce things somewhat overscale as you suggest. I might have a look at that in more detail - the only problem might be I will probably need quite a few packs!

I use half-round Evergreen plastic rod. It is effectively invisible from my usual viewing angle as can been seen on the scratchbuilt signal box and goods shed on my Cwm Bach layout. I must say that the Ratio 4mm pipework on Randy Wales's model is very good. I may test it out.

post-13142-0-18823400-1432927696_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-58204500-1432927699_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I make my own using flattened beer or coke cans, the soft thin metal is ideal.

I lay it over a groove about 2mm wide & deep in a table and press hard with the edge of a 1ft steel rule, like an engineering press brake. This forms the groove, you turn over the metal, score the tops of the bends with a sharp craft knife, the excess metal snaps off. Simples.

Dava

Hello everyone - I was just wondering if anyone had any bright ideas on what to use for guttering on 7mm buildings. I think I've gone round in circles on this topic before but the time is rapidly approaching when I need to fit the guttering to the Diesel Maintenance Depot I'm building and I'm really struggling to know what to do.

I've considered :-

1 using half round plastikard and painting the centre dark to give an impression of depth but I'm not quite convinced of this method

2 cutting down drinking straws but these seem to appear too large? 

3 cutting down plastic tube

Nobody seems to make suitable guttering as far as I am aware.

I would be interested to hear fellow modellers views/thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Deltic17

Hi, :)

I used to use the excellent Linka products for this - one of my first ever articles in RM (aged 10 1/2) was about this very subject :picknose:  :nomention:  - I still had some left somewhere, I wish I could find it though - I put it somewhere safe <rolls eyes> :laugh:

Invertrain do some guttering, which has detail and represents the soffit boards too, they also do 'Industrial Guttering' too (sorry the Link wouldnt let me identify the specific page).

http://invertrain.com/

I am trying to visualise what such would be like on your specific shed though.

It could be a case of looking to other scales, or craft shops, or anything that looks 'right', is easy to work with and affix.

Golfing umbrella ribs are often quite close, I have seen half round rod with the top painted black, and it's quite convincing. Failing that brass tube either filed or milled to half section, but it's a bit of a nightmare if you've got much to do.

Funnily enough the subject came up last night as we have to get some sorted for buildings on our Club layout, I think one of our members is sorting out CAD for 3D printing, as we have, like you, hit a brick wall with suitably realistic supply, it's usually whitemetal, and too thick.

Otherwise PLM Cast-Aways, and Skytrex.

Those are some great ideas :good:

I tend to look out for 4mm scale products which are usually overscale.

On my 7mm micro, Maenol Mine, I seem to recall I used Ratio guttering and pipes to good effect

Randallattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I agree, as I hinted at I have used 4mm items for certain 7mm applications, if it looks right then it is right :derisive:

I have used solid half-round strip on some buildings but it does depend on your viewpoint. A solid gutter is only obvious if you are looking down on it.

Please see below....

I use half-round Evergreen plastic rod. It is effectively invisible from my usual viewing angle as can been seen on the scratchbuilt signal box and goods shed on my Cwm Bach layout. I must say that the Ratio 4mm pipework on Randy Wales's model is very good. I may test it out.

Nice work Chris, I watched the DVD by Geoff Taylor a while back and he uses that dodge to good effect too - of course it depends on viewing angles etc.

Knightwing also do piping for 7mm (although I have never been able to track any down) and they also do a lot of 4mm bits and bobs that may be of use too :yes:

Kind regards to all,

CME :)

I make my own using flattened beer or coke cans, the soft thin metal is ideal.

I lay it over a groove about 2mm wide & deep in a table and press hard with the edge of a 1ft steel rule, like an engineering press brake. This forms the groove, you turn over the metal, score the tops of the bends with a sharp craft knife, the excess metal snaps off. Simples.

Dava

I shall give this method a go.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

I have just seen your plea for help with guttering. I have used a method on 4mm modelling which probably be used on 7mm models also. My method is to use a broken drill, 2mm in your case, fit it into a holder of some sort, I use a chuck. Gently push the drill, using a rule as a guide, down the edge of a piece of 1.5mm Plasticard until the grove is about 1mm deep. I have just tried it and placed the rule about 2.5mm from the edge of the Plasticard. Using a small plane, the edge and the underside of the card can be shaped to represent the outer curve of the gutter. This can be finished off with a fine file and abrasive paper to achieve the desired shape. The gutter can then be detached from the card to form a strip about 8mm wide. I then use this strip to form the top of the building wallplate, it gives a solid base onto the roof can be fixed. Another advantage I have found is that it is very easy to take the guttering around a corner, as may be the case on a hipped roof. It is also very solidly held onto the building as it forms part of the structure. I have attached some photos, not very good ones I'm afraid, but I hope they show what I mean.

post-26494-0-03250200-1435259851_thumb.jpgpost-26494-0-54984900-1435259875_thumb.jpgpost-26494-0-16639100-1435259900_thumb.jpgpost-26494-0-48643300-1435259943_thumb.jpg

Hi,

7mm guttering items are available from:

Scalelink; OGEE guttering and associated fittings:

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Scenic___Scale_1_43__O_.html

Churchward models, who were with Modelex but are now with Precision Paints used to sell 7mm guttering from their signal box kits. Not sure if they are still available as a separate item.

Hope this is of use.

Cheers

Brian

Archived