Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A visit to the westernmost part of Cornwall

• RMweb Gold

As today is Christopher's 21st birthday, we decided to take him (and us !!) on a scenic flight around the western most part of Cornwall.

These are some of the pictures : 

The Islander plane

post-7025-0-58241900-1433349383_thumb.jpg

Inside, with Rod, the pilot

post-7025-0-46361400-1433349390_thumb.jpg

Sennen

post-7025-0-74032900-1433349403_thumb.jpg

Land's End

post-7025-0-68163900-1433349415_thumb.jpg

The Minack Theatre

post-7025-0-71496800-1433349439_thumb.jpg

Mousehole (bonus if you can spot your house !)

post-7025-0-80635200-1433349456_thumb.jpg

Newlyn Harbour

post-7025-0-48497900-1433349467_thumb.jpg

The Jubilee Pool, Penzance

post-7025-0-24003000-1433349478_thumb.jpg

Penzance Harbour

post-7025-0-82632300-1433349490_thumb.jpg

St Michael's Mount

post-7025-0-08254400-1433349505_thumb.jpg

Absolutely fabulous trip !!

• RMweb Gold

He was absolutely made up. He didn't know about it until we got to the airport, from then on he just had a massive grin on his face.

The only downside was we didn't fly far enough east to go over JA's holiday cottage...

I was lucky enough to go on a similar flight and with similar weather about 30 years ago (paid for by the dad of my girlfriend at the time!). That must have been for a special birthday too, but I can't remember which one (not mine anyway).

Those pics really brings back memories. Thanks for posting them, Stubby!

Cheers

Dave

I wonder if that is the Scillonia Rapide that recently flew again: http://www.scilloniaairways.com/Scillonia_Airways/Scillonia_Airways_-_Rapide.html

I checked the original slide and it was G-AHGC 'Tresco'.

I must have flown in it earlier than the date on the slide as according to a Google search it lost its Certificate of Airworthiness on 4.7.1968.

After 45 years it is hard to be exact.

Tony

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Easy to spot our old cottage above the harbour in Newlyn.  If you know which one to look for ;)  (Hint - almost dead-centre there's a large shiny roofed building with two small notches along the lower edge of that roof.  Directly above those two notches is a cottage with a square roof presenting two faces and a ridge to the camera.  That was ours)

• 3 months later...

Morning Stu,

I've just stumbled across this thread whilst searching for something else so apologies for ratings appearing on old posts. The aerial images are just fantastic, showing some of the best features of West Cornwall with the added frisson that we can see that friendly Cornish exile to Australia, Rick(Gwiver)'s old house! Christopher must have found it a lovely surprise. Having lived in Cornwall in the seventies, and visited with my wife almost every year since, such images mean a lot to me as my illness now prevents me from travelling that far. I flew out of Land's End a few times back then (a Cessna 152). And marvelled at the immediate impact of the scenery as you cleared the cliff!

An amazing co-incidence is the appearance of the old DH89a Rapide and accompanying links that appeared in your thread! I gave my son, also known as Stu (for Stuart!), his first flight in a Rapide out of Duxford in the eighties, when he was eight or nine. We had the front two seats, with the lad sat on the starboard side by the cockpit entrance. I recall him being bemused by the pilot showing him the escape hatch, a weakened circular panel of ply above his head, with an axe clipped on the cabin side to facilitate egress! Equally interesting was when Stu felt a little queasy, the pilot slid open the window to give him some air, and told him to lean in to the 'corners' like on his bike. He then put the plane into a series of turns which I think made the other passengers feel queasy!

Thank you Stu, for bringing back these wonderful memories, sorry to clutter your thread with my rambling. Good luck with your current project,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Archived