31 chasis and broken bodies

Redditch 34

All

I am still waiting a reply from Hornby about a broken 31 chasis which has cracked the body as well these are not cheap model to buy i wonder if anyone else has had a reply i will be writing to Hornby again to see if there is any news on what they intend to do about this.

Matthew

All

I am still waiting a reply from Hornby about a broken 31 chasis which has cracked the body as well these are not cheap model to buy i wonder if anyone else has had a reply i will be writing to Hornby again to see if there is any news on what they intend to do about this.

Matthew

So I am......although I just realised I forgot to send the Email :rolleyes:

All

Matthew

I e mailed Hornby on 6th October and again on the 20th asking for some advice and what do I get NOTHING. The courtesy of a reply costs nothing even if its just to say we're still evaluating the problem.

I am not impressed.

• RMweb Gold

I must be one of the honoured few - here's the reply that I eventually got:

Thank you for your e-mail and apologies for the time taken to respond to you.

We are in the process of getting some replacement bodies and chasses manufactured. We will contact you from February next year, when you will be asked you to send in your Class 31. The bodies will be limited to the R2420 and R2413

So now you know ;)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys for the info but how long does it take for them to repeat the email to me and others.

I suspect that there are fewer of 'them' than you may think and that they are kept quite busy. Perhaps they are ploughing through the Class 31 pile as and when they can.

• RMweb Premium

All

Matthew

Which email address did you use. is it one from the Honby website or one that was posted on here on the old site? I posted pictures of my damaged 31 on the old site about 6 months ago.

Which email address did you use. is it one from the Honby website or one that was posted on here on the old site? I posted pictures of my damaged 31 on the old site about 6 months ago.

I emailed Hornby direct and recieved one reply from Simon and send some pictures of my loco back and that is the last i heard.

It is great that Hornby have taken this step, and will be well received. I sold my damaged 31 on some weeks ago, before this announcemnet came out, partly because it took Hornby so long to commit to replacing them and partly because I was downsizing my loco fleet. To be honest I am not convinced the problem won't happen again with other class 31's, but I hope for Hornby's sake it doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Any explanations to what is causing the fault? I have R2420 but with no signs of cracks yet! But it has not even run in at the moment and only been on the test track.

The thread about this on the old forum had plenty of info but its essentially contaminated mazak used to make the chassis block breaking down. Eventually you get a nice powder.. The unbroken end of mine has started going now although it is no longer stored in the body.

I need to convince them to send me the new block to fit as mine has a proper weathering job and I don't want it going back to them!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

got a response from Hornby.apparantly the produuct

was made "many years ago " er no and their

tests will be complete in the new year

to tell us how we can " strengthen the chassis"

what a load of......I must have got the office trainee

or something because it is clear this person has no concept

of the problem

Hi,

got a response from Hornby.apparantly the produuct

was made "many years ago " er no and their

tests will be complete in the new year

to tell us how we can " strengthen the chassis"

what a load of......I must have got the office trainee

or something because it is clear this person has no concept

of the problem

Sale of goods act and fit for purpose springs to mind on this one!! If mine fails like it sounds as though it will then I would expect a replacement. Surely they will be recalling them?

Sale of goods act and fit for purpose springs to mind on this one!! If mine fails like it sounds as though it will then I would expect a replacement. Surely they will be recalling them?

My understanding is that the run that will be taking place in early 2010 is being done to replace those affected, hence why blue and green bodyshells are being produced.

This from user "devious diesel" from the previous RMWeb, posted on October 3rd:

"Just received an E-mail from Hornby customer services saying.

"We are in the process of getting some replacement bodies and chassises manufactured. We will contact you from February next year, when you will be asked you to send in your Class 31. The bodies will be limited to the R2420 and R2413"."

In the meantime, it can't hurt to send Hornby a quick e-mail giving details of models you have that are suffering with the problem and asking to be added to any list they might have. I posted my details in the thread on the previous RMWeb and e-mailed Hornby.

I have gleened from several other threads on this site; also the main 31 chasis and broken bodies threads on the old site http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43641 and http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45893 that some Class 50's may also be affected.

Can someone please confirm this.

I have a blue 50013 'Agincourt'; so far it looks ok having been stored in its box at normal room temperature and all of that.

If class 50's are affected would this particular release be on the 'danger list'.

Many thanks.

I have gleened from several other threads on this site; also the main 31 chasis and broken bodies threads on the old site http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43641 and http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45893 that some Class 50's may also be affected.

Can someone please confirm this.

I have a blue 50013 'Agincourt'; so far it looks ok having been stored in its box at normal room temperature and all of that.

If class 50's are affected would this particular release be on the 'danger list'.

Many thanks.

The Class 31 thread on the previous RMWeb did have mention by some members that a Class 50 or two were going the way of the Class 31, and I think someone mentioned a Class 60. However, as far as I recall (and someone may correct me), there were only a tiny number of Class 50s affected, maybe not even five. At the moment, the problem seems to be with the Class 31 and my advice would be keep an eye on your 50s, but there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming problem at the moment.

On a personal note, two of my five Class 31s have crumbled but my five Class 50s aren't showing any problems.

This really does not bode well does it? I have two 31's, one early weathered example that is showing signs of distress.

Given we now have to watch the class 50 and 60 (maybe) as mine are early examples, and the proven issues with the Heljan 47, there is a possibility that in my case, quite a large collection of top end quality (costly) models could be useless.

Agreed, if Hornby do "the right thing" then great. Just a bit of a pain for us overseas enthusiasts.

Worth the trouble though!!

Cheers, Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

I notice from the Hornby 2010 list that the blue and green Class 31s are listed as 3rd quarter releases.? ? I was just wondering where that left those of us waiting for replacement chassis and bodies.? ? :unsure:

There should be some information coming for you very soon, I can say at this stage that anyone who has suffered this issue and who have not let Hornby know should do so directly and in writing as soon as practical.

There should be some information coming for you very soon, I can say at this stage that anyone who has suffered this issue and who have not let Hornby know should do so directly and in writing as soon as practical.

That was a lightning fast response, from someone doing all this gratis and on Christmas morning too. Many thanks!

• RMweb Gold

Silly question, is there a specific email address to send this to?

My chassis ex 31110 has now got one end at 45degrees to the rest of the chassis (thankfully I've been storing all my 31s with the bolts out so the body can be pushed up by the expansion (so the body is safe.)

Of course the fact that my chassis is fitted with P4 wheels makes things a bit more difficult as well....

Archived