Bachmann GWR ROD announced

Andy Y

GWR ROD announced

GWR ROD.jpg

Bachmann Europe today announced that it is to produce a GWR 30xx ROD

2-8-0 locomotive in order to meet many requests from customer following on from the LNER Class 04 version released recently.

521 locomotives were built from 1917 for use during World War 1 by the Railway Operating Division of the Royal Engineers for use in mainland Europe. Cessation of hostilities rendered them surplus (only 325 were delivered before the end of the war in 1918) and some were loaned to British railway companies before being offered for sale. The Great Western Railway bought 20 initially in 1919, which were followed by a further 80 in 1925. They were numbered 3000 – 3099.

The GWR subsequently modified the basic locomotives fitting new chimneys, top feed, dome etc. The last GWR version was withdrawn from Carmarthen in 1958.

Three versions of the GWR version have been announced. These are:

31-127 in BR black with early emblem

31-128 in BR black with late crest

31-129 in GWR green

These locomotives are expected to retail at a similar price to the recently released LNER 04 2-8-0 locomotives.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news - confirms what I was told a year back by someone from Bachmann. Only thing is that I was a year too soon with my prediction for 'the year of the eight-coupled loco' but no sweat as it looks like it was worth the wait.

Now to check if one ran with the late crest .......

(And PS MR Bachmann - how about the tender available on its own or even a new release 2251 with the ROD tender?)

Now to check if one ran with the late crest .......

Well, according to http://www.railuk.info/steam/getsteamclass.php?item=ROD the last ones went at the end of October 1958.

It's certainly possible, though a little unlikely I'd have thought, that one gained a late crest.

however, I'd be surprised if Bachmann are offering a model of something that didn't exist.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The westernised ex-GCR 04 looks pretty damn good. One never knows.....This model might spur Hornby into producing a decent GWR 2-8-0 of the 28XX/38XX class with loco drive.

It is a sobering thought that proprietory manufacturers are now producing models that one would have said were a gamble only a few years ago..... LNWR Super D 0-8-0, GCR/LNER 2-8-0, S&DJR 2-8-0, MR 3F 0-6-0, all freight classes to boot and lacking the glamour of models one used to associate with 'proprietory'. The future for modellers looks bright.

• RMweb Gold

The westernised ex-GCR 04 looks pretty damn good. One never knows.....This model might spur Hornby into producing a decent GWR 2-8-0 of the 28XX/38XX class with loco drive.

Well the pre-prduction pics look pretty good so my fingers are firmly crossed and I have one on order. If they can get the general level of detailing as loco specific as the 'Castle' has been thus far I think we will be getting something very acceptable.

Now the interesting bit is going to be repainting the GW green one (inside steam pipes) into manky, correction very manky, BR black/muck so just hint of the GW lettering appears, in a gradually wearing away state, under the BR emblem etc. On the other I could look for one that was repainted at Caerphilly, where they did the job properly....

GWR fans should be happy with a nice new green engine ;)

Indeed I am very happy with this nice new green engine. :)

Thanks to Andy for showing the picture of the GWR green one. By itself, "GWR Green" isn't necessarily a helpful description. I assume this is a late Churchward / early Collett livery.

Does anyone know any history for No. 3021? My usual on-line sources fail me, other than that it was built on May 31st, 1926 by Robert Stephenson & Co. and withdrawn from shed 85A (Worcester) on July 31st, 1948 (Railuk.info) I couldn't find out much.

• RMweb Premium

I wondered when this announcement would come

There are plenty of variations when in GWR service. Bear in mind they had some from 1919 - 1958.

E.g. at least two alternative chimneys to the original - 47XX and Taff Vale,

With & without topfeed,

Non standard dome (at least one).

Piston valve tail rods removed after a while.

Even some painted black at Swindon! (The crappy ones expected to be withdrawn early)

Plenty of opportunity for customising an individual for your chosen layout.

And there are still LNWR and LMS variants possible!

I'll just stick to the Bachmann offering in "Great Western"

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Indeed I am very happy with this nice new green engine. :)

Thanks to Andy for showing the picture of the GWR green one. By itself, "GWR Green" isn't necessarily a helpful description. I assume this is a late Churchward / early Collett livery.

Does anyone know any history for No. 3021? My usual on-line sources fail me, other than that it was built on May 31st, 1926 by Robert Stephenson & Co. and withdrawn from shed 85A (Worcester) on July 31st, 1948 (Railuk.info) I couldn't find out much.

Do you mean 3031 as being produced by Bachmann or 3021?

Taking 3021 first I presume that you probably mean the third ROD to carry that number which was taken into GWR stock in May 1926 and was withdrawn in July 1948, built in 1919 by North British Atlas Works. GWR 3031 was the third ROD to carry that number and was taken into GWR stock in September 1936 and withdrawn in May 1956, built NBL Hyde Park Works 1917.

Locos in the batch which these two were part of were given boilers with copper fireboxes, Swindon superheaters, GW pattern top feed and safety valves before entering traffic carrying their final GWR numbers. They were fitted with ATC(a slightly modified version because they only had steam brakes) during 1931.

At some time they might have acquired GW pattern buffers (I'm not sure if all the RODs did?) and at some time after their initial overhaul the piston tail rods were removed.

What can really only be checked from dated photos is if the locos received GW pattern smokebox doors and what chimney they carried at the period which you are interested in.

Do you mean 3031 as being produced by Bachmann or 3021?

Mike,

thanks for your reply. I should go ahead and get that eyeglass prescription filled. I did mean No. 3031 as being produced by Bachmann. (I misread the numbers as 3021!)

• RMweb Premium

I going to have so much 2-8-0 freight on my layout, what a beauty, much earlier than I expected so it looks like a pretty expensive year for me, presumably release is not too far off.

GWR 3031 was the third ROD to carry that number and was taken into GWR stock in September 1936 and withdrawn in May 1956, built NBL Hyde Park Works 1917.

Locos in the batch which these two were part of were given boilers with copper fireboxes, Swindon superheaters, GW pattern top feed and safety valves before entering traffic carrying their final GWR numbers. They were fitted with ATC(a slightly modified version because they only had steam brakes) during 1931.

Mike,

thanks for the detail. Based on this, I had no idea that the model in question is the third ROD to carry No. 3031.

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

thanks for the detail. Based on this, I had no idea that the model in question is the third ROD to carry No. 3031.

The reason for more than one ROD carrying the same number was the way in which the GW hired some (which were then returned) and then subsequently bought a lot which they assessed for condition after giving some of them numbers but then renumbered depending on whether they went into the 'do it up for a long time' or 'do enough to keep it going until it falls apart' group.. Great fun sorting it out if you have the necessary reference sources.

What bugs me is that Bachmann flat out refuses to even consider doing an HO version of the ROD for other markets. 300 of them ran in France, nearly 100 in the Middle East, 46 in China and 23 in Australia.

Cheers

David

Archived