K2yhaven

Andy Y

Yup, should all fit in mine or the wife's (hence the 3'6" length just in case) with a proper leg design rather than the Aldi trestles which would support several elephants.

Having an R/C hovercraft we play with down on the local pond the thought did cross my mind although it's the size of an SRN4 with the handling capabilities of a jellyfish coated in baby oil.

Must get this back in perspective otherwise this sleepy 'ampshire backwater will look more like Hamleys at Christmas. :)

Mine's a Thatchers sidecar!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Going along with the flying boat theme I'm sure you'd have room for one of these as well!wink.gif

Yet again may involve another board being built!blink.gif

Cheers.

Mark

Hi Andy,

Going along with the flying boat theme I'm sure you'd have room for one of these as well!wink.gif

Yet again may involve another board being built!blink.gif

Cheers.

Mark

I recommend

Spruce Goose http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbe1pa0dRN8

or

Caspian Sea Monster http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIr8bjg_o2U&feature=related

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Just worked out that a 4mm scale Dornier Do-X would need nearly a 2m x1.5m area. Hmmm! Blimey-what a monster.

On a serious note though-I look forward to the progress on this layout. I think the idea sounds like it will certainly add to the operating interest.

Good to see you enjoying yourself and not too chained to a server.

Cheers.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Since when has cider been spelt p-a-s-t-y ? wink.gif

Okay , point made , and some Cider , presumably this would be the evening before the

event so as to give you a nights sleep , I dont think I could condone Cider drinking and

loco driving in a dockside setting on the same day . Might be a big splash . laugh.gif

"Ooh, I didn't expect it to be that big", long time since I've heard that one.

Whilst showers just about managed to hold off I was able to get the main baseboards and legs knocked together. I hadn't properly considered the leg issue when I made the previous board so that's also been replaced which now means the legs are interchangeable between boards with an easy slot in. No more bulky steel trestles!

Boards1.jpg

Boards2.jpg

Boards3.jpg

A little more time would have enabled me to fit the internal angle bracing and baseboard connectors but I don't think it's too bad for an afternoon's work. There's still two more boards to make for the front section but they're scenic only.

• RMweb Premium

Nice bit of decking too - i can imagine CK giving the orders to swab those decks.

Back to your legs... without any cross bracing how much wobble is there at board level when the whole thing is erected? Do the legs just simply push into the slot - is there anything to stop them coming out if you lift a board with legs attached?

You mentioned earlier you used a staple gun to speed building (as evidenced in the leg close-up) what sort was it? Air or electric powered, and what length of staple did you use?

And yes, it is a big one :D but no showing off in public!

Yup; the legs. They're very lightweight and a snug fit Chris. There's a bit of sway in the material but I'm going to see how steady they are when all the boards are joined together as the quay board (and the future front scenic boards) will have their legs at 90 degrees to the others. If it's not steady enough I'll use some rod or tubing to form diagonal bracing between the pairs of legs.

The staple gun is a hand powered Black and Decker Powershot using 1cm length staples; surprisingly easy and so much faster.

• RMweb Premium

The staple gun is a hand powered Black and Decker Powershot using 1cm length staples; surprisingly easy and so much faster.

Ah, I have one of these - it was heard belting away at the Aylesbury show as we added velcro for the drapes to the layout extensions on Tackygloss. Damian uses a compressed air one for his boards now, for example Diesels in the Duchy. Not seen it in action though, but he turns out boards at a fair rate of knots.

Just been reading through and have to say that if the mark 2 is anything like the first version then this is going to be a superb layout. I remember seeing 56032 on Keyhaven at Trains4U. I don’t suppose many Grids will be visiting your new project! tongue.gif

I look forward to seeing it develop, the boards are looking good. Nice idea about the staple gun.

Another day shower dodging.

Baseboards connected, train turntable cut out, front scenic boards knocked together and the boards corked.

Aug_7a.jpg

Aug_7c.jpg

I've not decided yet whether the water (front middle board) will be done as before with paint/PVA/varnish layers on the flat ply top or to invert the board and create some depth to the water within the well. I'll try a couple of ideas and see where it heads.

When it's all locked together it's reasonably stable; I did manage to disassemble and get it back indoors inside 5 minutes as another shower headed our way.

Can you still get it in the transport vehicle?

Certainly can, the boards will take up less than half of the load space and all of the legs combined take up less space than K1yhaven's two trestles.

Archived