K2yhaven

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

This stuff must rate high amongst 'sticky things that don't do what you want them to' with it's propensity to adhere to any organic substance within a 3 yard radius rather than where you want it to go. Face, body hair, clothing etc. Once it's in contact with wood or track that's it, fixed. Forever.

Hi all,

word of warning, that looks very much like the tape i use to fit tracking syatems to cars and it is really good at sticking to things till it sees the slightist bit of moisture and then it waves the white flag. That is basied on my experiences and mine alone biggrin.gif

Not wishing to be a kill joy but just keep an eye on it

Andy, the layout looks great and i cant wait to see the finished artical

cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Could be good for mounting Tortoise point motors maybe? Provided you got them aligned first time...

The turntable looks very good - how long is the deck? I like the idea of one for my fiddle yard, but I suspect that 4-5' is way over the practical length and I'll have to use a traverser.

Will

Will the new turntables on Treneglos have decks 1600mm long and they work well although we need to revisit the power transfer method.

• RMweb Premium

Andy

I'll make this tomorrow's morning reading, as I've done Jamie's and Jim S-W's magnum opus, as I am now trying to get as much reading up done on projects as I can - RM Web really is like having a masterclass in modelling at the end of the phone line!

Meantime, how do you find time to do a job, keep a home, AND run RM Web?

Regards

Stewart

word of warning, that looks very much like the tape i use to fit tracking syatems to cars and it is really good at sticking to things till it sees the slightist bit of moisture and then it waves the white flag. That is basied on my experiences and mine alone biggrin.gif

Not wishing to be a kill joy but just keep an eye on it

From from being a killjoy Simon your post has actually helped the situation tremendously. A quick test showed that slightly wetting the tape with a sponge allowed the track to be positioned to suit. When the dampness dries it's well and truly stuck!

What would have taken 5-10 minutes of intricate management, breath-holding and cursing took less than a minute to position and fix another section of the TT track.

Thanks for the idea.

• RMweb Premium

This looks to be a most interesting project, Andy, and I really like the baseboard design and execution - as to your track plan and how you intend to use one of the boards of Keyhaven, I have a bit of a disadvantage, as I've not been fortunate enough to see the original layout, although I have seen a lot of photos and have followed your posts on previous incarnations.

It does look as though the pasty and/or cider is going to be in the bag, as you seem to be progressing pretty well - if only your fellow RM Webbers would give you time to get on with it.

Hows about using this for a backscene so as to cover the issue of a Catalina on the layout! LOL http://www.darcycollection.co.uk/darcycollection/catalina.htm

It was painted by an old friend of mine.

Keep up the good work

Regards

Stewart

Hows about using this for a backscene so as to cover the issue of a Catalina on the layout! LOL http://www.darcycoll...on/catalina.htm

Ooh, that would look quite tasty looking seawards and not too dissimilar to the real outlook! biggrin.gif

I've not mentioned yet that it's likely that Keyhaven will have two back(or front)scenes, one with the marshes behind for normal viewing with an alternative Solent background for photos from the rear of the layout. More on that and the material that will be used in due course.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

I guess you've been pretty busy with other stuff, well, you must be busy with us lot to look after!

Has there been any more progress since the last update to tell of? It's been an interesting read so far and I love the concept!

It suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't heard anything about K2yhaven for ages and wondered if I'd missed anything due to being busy myself.

Now hurry up and finish the layout so I can be envious of your modelling abilities and shamelessly grab some ideas off you wink.gif

All the best,

Jam smile.gif

Hi Andy,

Good article in MRJ 202 Page 291-297. Right up your street. All the design work done for you. :D :D

Nice change from a car ferry and perfect for DCC.

Hope you like it.

(ducking for cover)

• 10 months later...

After the lightning start not much has happened at all I'm afraid. The autumn and winter's time was taken by my old man having a fall breaking his hip and leg, shuffling him between hospital and nursing home, disposing of his house etc. Come the spring time was taken by the site and the lead up to members' day. During this period procrastination came into play with a change of design thoughts; one of which is an intention to use Marcway track which will need a bit of saving up for I'm afraid.

I'd say that was three years ago.

I'm sure it's successor will go out on the road someday. :)

Tempus Fugit.....! - A sadly missed venue especially on the Friday evenings - had the pleasure of chatting to Mr Waterman in the bar that night - He didn't get a round in though..... :mellow:

Tempus Fugit.....! - A sadly missed venue especially on the Friday evenings

Not to us who had to organise the show and get the layouts in I'm afraid.

Anyway, I'm 100% positive k2yhaven will be making an appearance at Manchester once its finished! (its not an invite, its a summons!!)

Not to us who had to organise the show and get the layouts in I'm afraid.

Anyway, I'm 100% positive k2yhaven will be making an appearance at Manchester once its finished! (its not an invite, its a summons!!)

Enlighten me - I am interested.... problems regarding the floor levels similar to Blackburn KG Hall?

A personal preference (yes me! me! me! - I know) Preston to Manc Victoria - cross over Corporation Street - Friday night - a decent bar - sometimes a seminar with Mr PW - excellent shows (well done) Yet to visit the Armitage via public transport fun but I will give you feedback - how far away is the AC from Moss Side?

Enlighten me - I am interested.... problems regarding the floor levels similar to Blackburn KG Hall?

A personal preference (yes me! me! me! - I know) Preston to Manc Victoria - cross over Corporation Street - Friday night - a decent bar - sometimes a seminar with Mr PW - excellent shows (well done) Yet to visit the Armitage via public transport fun but I will give you feedback - how far away is the AC from Moss Side?

I've replied in a PM to this request as I dont want to hijack Andy's thread - but am aware others may be interested - if so i will post the reply on our exhibition thread if there is enough interest via pm to me - Not posting here on the K2yhaven thread please.

• 1 year later...

Hi Andy

Could you please tell about the steel gate that is across the line down to the ferry. Have not seen this one anywhere before. Did you make or is it a kit/made item if so could you let us know. It is unusual in that it is rounded at the corners where as most gates ie Ratio are of the straight type.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

I honestly can't swear which of the gates it was but I do remember robbing an MSE crossing kit. I soldered an elongated 'U' section of wire to it which drops into a brass tube for simple finger operation.

Guest oldlugger

Hello Andy,

Are we going to see another personal layout from you at some stage (sorry if I've missed any proposals you've discussed)? I really enjoyed reading about this layout, but maybe you're too busy with forum matters?

All the best

Simon

Are we going to see another personal layout from you at some stage (sorry if I've missed any proposals you've discussed)? I really enjoyed reading about this layout, but maybe you're too busy with forum matters?

Oh 'eck. This topic seems to keep surfacing each year. :)

Initial progress stalled after the board construction due to family stuff which then melded into a tough year financially and then a busy six months in the transition to Warners. Funnily enough Steve Cole sent me an email after seeing the topic surface and asked if it would be finished for Ally Pally! I responded with a bit of Anglo Saxon.

The boards are still in the garage awaiting me pulling a finger out; I may change the configuration from what was previously proposed but it's very definitely on a still to be done list.

Archived